Boat yard suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captmorgan23

Veteran Member
My boat is in Port Ludlow WA, which is about 19 miles from Port Townsend WA. Would love to know about good boatyards in the area, and what people think of the boat yard at the Port of Port Townsend.

Port Townsend Marine has a good reputation. What is seems to come down to at any good yard is meeting and interviewing management*staff and workers, defining your work clearly, get a tight estimate and *monitor progress. What work did you have in mind, some yards do better at certain things than others.

I am there when the boat is pulled and/or having work done, so that I can and keep a close tally of their work.* *When it comes time to splash/pay I have a basic idea of what it should cost.* So I would pick a yard close to where you live/work.* I find the best time for basic stuff is June as the weather is not so cold, rainy and windy, and the yards are starting to get busy so they will not milk the work.** Make yourself available and ask questions as you can learn a lot.*
Some of the simpler thing like zinc/cleaning the hull/running gear can be done by a diver which is cheaper.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 20th of October 2009 08:55:52 AM

Back
Top Bottom