View Single Post
Old 08-18-2022, 10:44 AM   #16
rgano
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Due to bad weather running waves at my side-mounted generator exhaust I got saltwater hydrolocking of my single cylinder 3.5 KW generator. The boat would have been in its lift except a hurricane had destroyed the lift and boathouse - so it was perforce moored in a wet slip exposed to the winds and waves. It had been a week since I had run the genny. Pulled the glow plug and spun the water out with the starter. Flushed cylinder with WD 40 and started it up after spinning the engine some more before replacing the glow plug. Warmed it up and changed the oil and changed the oil again after another warm up. Runs like a champ four years later. The oil lab hates the numbers they reported after 20 hours of running, but at a little over a quart total capacity, I'll keep changing the oil frequently until it dies. I may have been luckier than you because the starter spun it up as soon as the glow plug was out of it.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote