Which Spare parts for Lehman 120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porchhound

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 CHB 34
Before I buy this next boat (with a Lehman 120) I need to know a few things. I've watched a few videos, read articles, and searched the forums but I can't find a definitive list for spare parts. If I use American Diesel's I'd be spending as much on parts as on the boat. I'm interested in what real owners have to say. To be more specific, we cruise Puget Sound and the islands, often several "boat hours" away from home. This summer we lost a fuel pump on one of our gas guzzlers on our Silverton but were able to limp home using one fuel pump and one tank.

Thanks in advance

Fuel filters 2-3 of each type. When you need them you may need more than one.
Raw water impeller, several. Perhaps one complete replacement assembly. Lift pump or kit to rebuild.

American Diesel is a bit of an exaggeration.

Our boat has a Ford Lehman 120, and we cruise BC waters between Sidney and Desolation Sound regularly. The only Lehman specific spares I carry on board are:
  • Fuel pump
  • Raw water impeller
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Accessory belt
  • On engine fuel filters
  • Spare hose and couplings so I can bypass the oil or transmission coolers if required (both the high pressure oil and the raw water).
I do carry what I would consider to be "non-Lehman Specific" spares as well:

• Oil filter and enough oil for one complete oil change, plus a gallon for topping up.
  • Coolant
  • Transmission fluid
  • Fuel filters for the Racors
  • A selection of NPT plugs (to plug any sensor or other attachment if it fails)

Besides the fuel filters, in 10 years of cruising I haven't needed to use any of my spares while underway. They get used up and replaced as part of my annual maintenance as necessary.

Hope that helps.

I carry a supply of critical items that would stop a trip:
Fan belts
Oil filters
Fuel filters
impellers
Oil change
Transmission fluid change
Anti-freeze.

After that a SeaTow or Boat US membership.

If I have to change a starter or oil cooler it will be at a dock where I can order parts and work safely.

What spares to carry will be determined by the number of 120's in the boat. Less spares required on twins since you can limp home on one engine.

And where the cruising area will be. If facilities are close, less spares needed.

Sandpiper with a single engine, cruising to Broughtons and further, carries in addition to the parts recommended above:

2 spare injectors and a complete set of injector fuel lines
Complete raw water pump
Complete fresh water pump
Spare oil cooler
Spare oil pressure and water temp senders and gauges
Spare alternator and regulator.
Spare set of engine hoses.
Spare tach and sender.
Spare prop.

And tools and diagnostic equipment.

Last edited:
Not an exact answer to your question but related. This is Bob Smith’s recommended tool list for a 120. Bob was the guru on Ford Lehmans until his passing.

Attachments

• 031ABF55-EE83-4711-8ED8-16CB63C279C9.jpeg
    031ABF55-EE83-4711-8ED8-16CB63C279C9.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 214
Add a damper plate and some stern tube packing to the list. Be sure that your spare raw water pump impeller also includes a gasket or two. Thermostats are cheap at the auto parts store (no part is cheap if overnighted by float plane from a chandlery). Replace a working thermostat and keep it as a spare.

After a certain point, it's your limitation in experience and tools to execute. If you are near a mechanic, you can probably get a part in short order or modify. Things like dampner plates and transmission/engine seals and mounts become an issue...the fix is easy but moving big parts around not so much for the average person. Plus many things are expected to have certain lifespans and are best done when you are in a place of convenience, so really aren't in my book spare parts unless you travel to the ends of the earth.

One thing I will emphasize double is a set of injector fuel pipes. I had 2 fail in the first 5 years I owned my boat and luckily the PO had a set on board.

There's no jury rigging those as far as I know and they corrode/ crack easily. With a spare you can be underway again in minutes.

Last edited:
After a certain point, it's your limitation in experience and tools to execute. If you are near a mechanic, you can probably get a part in short order or modify. Things like dampner plates and transmission/engine seals and mounts become an issue...the fix is easy but moving big parts around not so much for the average person.

One thing I will emphasize double is a set of injector fuel pipes. I had 2 fail in the first 5 years I owned my boat and luckily the PO had a set on board.

There's no jury rigging those as far as I know and they corrod/ crack easily.
What was the sign or cause of the pipe failure. Asking in context of did it suddenly leak without any sign beforehand.

Dave I'm taking a walk-thru on a Universal Marine with a Lehman 120. Other than the obvious leaks and smoke, is there anything I should be looking for?

Cruising in the San Juan’s you are never that far from a marina. I would suggest a good anchor and a Tow Boat membership. If you breakdown underway you will need to anchor to make repairs and if you’re in a channel you will have to move. Depending on your boat and your mechanical skills will determine what repairs you can make. You should have at least an impeller, belt, oil and a roll of rescue tape. Beyond the San Juan’s you should carry the full kit of hoses, lines, starter, alternator, filters and fluids. Pretty bulletproof engines though.

If I were going to put a list together, part of it would be based on how many hours were on the engine and it's components. If the engine has 5,000 hours, a spare raw and fresh water pumps would be on my list. If the raw water pump was changed 200 hours ago, maybe less important to have a spare.

Ted

While not specific to the OP's question, just because you lack the skill or tools to install a part, doesn’t mean you shouldn't carry the part as a spare. An example would be the starter. The brushes may wear out in a starter and you may lack the skills, strength, or tools to change it. Most any boatyard would have a mechanic that can change out the starter. The question is how long will it take to get the spare if there isn't one on the boat.

Ted

Last edited:
While not specific to the OP's question, just because you lack the skill or tools to install a part, doesn’t mean you shouldn't carry the part as a spare. An example would be the starter. The brushes may wear out in a starter and you may lack the skills, strength, or tools to change it. Most any boatyard would have a mechanic that can change out the starter. The question is how long will it take to get the spare if there isn't one on the boat.

Ted

:thumb: Four years ago we were in the Berry Islands on the east side. A Krogen lost their starter. A tow to Great Harbour Cay cost them $750 which was cheap considering where they were. They then put their starter on a plane to Miami to get rebuilt. A local said he get it rebuilt and turn it around overnight. :rolleyes: Six days later the starter arrived back. The total bill excluding towing was north of $1k. A new starter cost $325.

I carried way too many spare parts for my single Lehman 120 based on lists from ADC, and information I gathered via forums.
Before I took my big trips, ( I had owned the boat for several years already) I changed all the hoses, completely cleaned the main heat exchanger )off the engine), changed both oil and tranny coolers ( same part number), new exhaust elbow, in other words completely maintained it. I had also changed to a multi stage fuel filter set up.
Never needed any of the spares I carried other than an occasional hose clamp, or adding oil.
I hated a lot of things about the Lehman, but it did keep on running.

ADC sells(used to sell?)a full set of hoses for the 120. Never know what you might need or when, was useful on occasion, though much of the kit went with the boat to the purchaser. One kit should suffice for twins.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. AD does sell hose kits for Lehmans. I bought 2 sets in preparation for the sale of Savasa last spring. I don't think one kit would have serviced the 2 engines. There WAS one "bend" sort of left over (per kit) but not enough for a full service of the 2.

Not unreasonably expensive AND the new owner should have some piece of mind hose-wise. The existing hoses seemed to be in good shape but....just in case.

I also took the opportunity to upgrade to slot-less hose clamps. Ah. Hose clamps. good to have a few spares in various sizes.

My boat (2 FL120s) has a new starter, fresh water pump, spare fuel pump (Walbro electric), hose set, belts, rebuilt injection pump, new alternator, and a full set of injector hard pipes. All were aboard when we bought the boat.

So, some might think the injector pipes are overkill. Well, on our third day of ownership, one cracked and was spraying fuel. We stopped for the night on one engine, replaced the pipe dockside the next day, and off we went.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. AD does sell hose kits for Lehmans. I bought 2 sets in preparation for the sale of Savasa last spring. I don't think one kit would have serviced the 2 engines. There WAS one "bend" sort of left over (per kit) but not enough for a full service of the 2...
I had in mind a spare set of hoses kept on board just in case. Unlucky if both engines needed the same hose replaced out cruising. For your purpose,2 full sets for sure. In fact I bought 2 sets.

For my twin 120s, I carried one complete raw water cooling system starting with the raw water pump. Also a complete set of injector lines. Over the several decades I owned the boat, the spares stacked up pretty deep.

Unless you plan to go places where the sun don't shine, Bob Smith's list is all you need for extended off the grid cruising, plus the non-120 specific items (coolant, oil, etc.), and Gold membership to Towboats US or similar.

Providing the engine has been maintained, updated, and has a new elbow installed, about the only thing that messes up the Lehman is dirty fuel and broken fan belts. These are otherwise the original bullet proof diesels.

I took Bob's diesel repair course where we tore down a 120, manually popped the injectors, and then rebuilt it. He then took it outside and cranked it up - brave man.

Our boat has a Ford Lehman 120, and we cruise BC waters between Sidney and Desolation Sound regularly. The only Lehman specific spares I carry on board are:
  • Fuel pump
  • Raw water impeller
  • Starter
  • Alternator
  • Accessory belt
  • On engine fuel filters
  • Spare hose and couplings so I can bypass the oil or transmission coolers if required (both the high pressure oil and the raw water).
I do carry what I would consider to be "non-Lehman Specific" spares as well:

• Oil filter and enough oil for one complete oil change, plus a gallon for topping up.
  • Coolant
  • Transmission fluid
  • Fuel filters for the Racors
  • A selection of NPT plugs (to plug any sensor or other attachment if it fails)

Besides the fuel filters, in 10 years of cruising I haven't needed to use any of my spares while underway. They get used up and replaced as part of my annual maintenance as necessary.

Hope that helps.
Murphy's law; If you have it you won't need it. My Irish grandfather would say "I'd rather be be looking at it than looking for it."

Back
Top Bottom