Old 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
Baggiolini

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixenII View Post
Glad you found the quick fix....

The Raymarine ST7000+ system on our MT 44 worked perfectly from Savannah south to Ft. L and later through the Virgins over to PR. After a year or so of inactivity... Without warning the rudder reference indicates full right rudder and thus kicks the thing into overload bypass - disconnected the rudder reference sensor but still have the same problem. Called Raymarine for help and was told that it most probably was the 400G course computer. However, raymarine no longer supports this unit but was more than willing to give me a discount on the new version! And no, they will not supply a service manual - "There are no owner servicable parts." You gotta love it. Catch 22 afloat again.
Good thing you are a republican voting, yacht owning, 1%er. Pocket change, I'm sure!

I priced out a new autopilot while waiting for the electrician. Couple of house payments.

Check all the connections and follow the wires all the way to check for splices. My PO had sent the compass back to Raytheon for a recall which made me think there might be a splice.

Ebay might be your friend. I bought a second controller for the upper helm off ebay for $400. A crazy amount but a drop in the bucket over a new one.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote