Under $1 Million ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Chief ll
Vessel Make
Tollycraft MY53
Can you build a new Trawler/ Motoryacht for $1 million dollars or for that mater $2 million dollars.
Just a question

Bryan

Can you build a new Trawler/ Motoryacht for $1 million dollars or for that mater $2 million dollars.
Just a question

Bryan

Sure. A Nordhavn 41 is under $1m, and I expect a number of the very popular Helmsmans are too. Heck, I build my Nordhavn 60 for right around $2m, but I'm sure they are more now.

You didn't mention the size. Generally speaking though, I'm thinking it would have to be a steel boat that are of the "one off" types that have plans from a reputable naval architect.
This is all based on having the materials on hand. I can't imagine trying to anticipate costs now due to fuel prices, supply chain, etc.

Helmsman, American Tug, Nordic Tug, North Pacific and Diesel Duck are fits too.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. My surveyor placed the "replacement cost" of my boat which was bought at less than 100K at 750K

A mill should do nicely!

If you are in the PNW, boat show January 223.

Thanks for the input. I was looking between 50-60 feet for the comparison. It seems like the boat market is similar to the RV market. What I mean is you can buy a 20 year old top of the line diesel pusher that sold new between $750k to $500k for $200k or less. Or you can buy a new gas Class A for $200k.
The quality difference is drastically different. I have gone to the boat shows of the past three years and it seems like if you are not spending $3,000,000 you are buying a Boat that is similar to a new gas M/H.
Just my thoughts.

Not sure you can buy a 2005 or newer top of the line 50' trawler in the PNW for $200k, but I think you are right, you're not going to buy a 50-60 brand new for under $1mm. 40 feet, yes (barely)

Now you tell us that you want a 50-60. Yeah, that should be over 2 mill.

But they do depreciate quickly like RV's, so late model used is in your range easy.

FWIW I’m currently having a new 34ft solar electric power catamaran (comparable to a 44ft monohull) with a CE A (blue water) rating built over here in Europe, expected price incl. VAT below $500k. The small scale manufacturer/model (Broadblue 346) are known as being owner-occupier orientated rather than for charter fleets, so specs and installation quality are high.

FWIW I’m currently having a new 34ft solar electric power catamaran (comparable to a 44ft monohull) with a CE A (blue water) rating built over here in Europe, expected price incl. VAT below $500k. The small scale manufacturer/model (Broadblue 346) are known as being owner-occupier orientated rather than for charter fleets, so specs and installation quality are high.

Sounds like a great project, keep us posted and some photos. My only sailing experience with cat hulls is a Hobie 16, but I have been on some larger sailing cats at the dock. How is a “34 ft cat hull comparable to a 44 ft monohull”? I have found there is less usable living space in a cat hull. Are you referring to the hull efficiency differences?

The comparison to a monohull was primarily based on useable internal, cockpit and deck space - but displacement water resistance is probably also comparable overall. However it is very much a rough ball park comparison: I am not aware of any actual quantitative conversion formula. There is much mention in multihull boat reviews of how any given cat offers "approximately the same space as [insert a roughly 25 percent larger LOA figure] monohull" ...

Going back to one of the comments made comparing an older boat to an older RV. That may or may not be true depending on the quality of the original boat and the care it received over the years. No question a new build is beautiful, shiny, latest electronics, new engines, etc. And if money is not a factor that would be the way to go. But generally a solid fiberglass hull from a quality builder is going to be a solid hull 20-40 years later. All the internals can be rebuilt or replaced. Never going to be as shiny as a new build but probably 20% or less of the new build cost. As with most high end luxury items there will always be those who just want and can afford new and they will pay the price. Fortunately for me and others like me we can buy older boats and over time bring them up to as close as possible to a new boat operationally. Example engines tend to last much longer and be reliable than most recreational boat owners will run them so you might not even need to rebuild and you almost certainly don't need to repower. But even a repower can be significantly cheaper. Just about all other systems (heads, solar, inverter, audio/video, batteries and cosmetics (paints, fabrics) can be replaces to nearly match a new build and you still will be hundreds of thousands of dollars ahead. But you have to be willing to either pay someone else or do work yourself. I would not be looking to buy new but if I were I would not be too excited about the 50-60 foot new boat that sells for under $1 million as I would have serious concerns about the quality and how well it is equipped. Before anyone calls foul I am sure there are exceptions but probably not many. Most new builds 50-60 feet are going to be well north of $1 Mil. As an example a 2006 Nordhavn 55 is on the market now for $1.25Mil. Great looking boat but new I imagine you would be looking at >$2Mil.

Oh, by the way I have a 20 year old diesel pusher. Not nearly as nice as a new one but does everything I need and new one is at least 20x more than what I paid (with 80K miles). I may sell it in a few years and even if I gave it away my total cost would not be close to just the extra taxes I would pay on a $1Mil RV. So if you have not figured it out yet, yes I am a fan of buying used, normally almost to vintage qualification but needs to have been loved and without potential/common catastrophic failure points that I would not touch (such as a cored hull for example).

I’m in love with the design of the Leen 56 trimaran, and at €1.2mm with today’s exchange rates it seems like a steal. (I read that the owner of hull number one is in his seventies so who knows when it could be had broken in for even less?)

https://leen-trimarans.com/range/leen-56/

Here on the US west coast you would be challenged to find a slip to accommodate a 27 foot beam. While the boat is 56 ft long I am guessing it would either be that rarely available end tie or maybe pay for a 100 ft slip.

Here on the US west coast you would be challenged to find a slip to accommodate a 27 foot beam. While the boat is 56 ft long I am guessing it would either be that rarely available end tie or maybe pay for a 100 ft slip.

This would be about four years out for us when the nest hopefully empties and in connection with cashing out our Mercer Island house and finding a cottage with a dock of our own outside the Seattle commuting area. No illusions about finding a place to tie it up on Lake Union, that’s for sure!

I’m in love with the design of the Leen 56 trimaran, and at €1.2mm with today’s exchange rates it seems like a steal. (I read that the owner of hull number one is in his seventies so who knows when it could be had broken in for even less?)

https://leen-trimarans.com/range/leen-56/

Interesting name. When scrolling to the bottom, they are from NEEL trimarans, making a bunch of sailing tris. People have had various responses to the sailing models, a few were launched a bit prematurely and had quality issues.

But I am following this, I am very interested in power cats. While the beam on this Leen 56 and Leen 50 are around 26', that is not different from a standard 50' sailing cat's beam, and these are tris. Really like how the 50 is covered in solar, potential hybrid propulsion options in the future...

You typically either keep these on a mooring, or pay for 2 slips. And anchor underway.

Keeping a boat on a mooring isn’t possible in the PNW. The only boats I see kept that way are small runabouts. It would be a really bad idea in the winter winds!! Plus, it would have to be your privately owned mooring, which generally implies it is in front of your own waterfront property…

Back
Top Bottom