Fast Fred

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluebyu

Vessel Make
Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's

Attachments

• FF obit.jpg
    FF obit.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 80
  • FF.jpg
    FF.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 64
I am sad to see this. He was a cool guy. I met him a couple of times when we were winter neighbors on blocks for the winter in Ct.
RIP FF

I will miss his simple solutions to complex problems. He may have been a curmudgeon but he was a knowledgeable curmudgeon. Sympathy and positive thoughts to his bride Charlene.

Rob

Definitely sad to see this. I had been wondering if something was going on, as I hadn't noticed any recent posts from him.

Really sad news. Was wondering what had happened as I hadn't seen him on the forum and ment to give him a call. He and Charlene were good to talk with when I occasionally stopped at their canal home in Ortona. Definitely will be missed.

Rest in peace Fred.

Ted

RIP to a Navy "airedale."

FF was special. No doubt about it.
Had many argument/conversations w him about over propping.
This takes me back to the extensive discussions I had w Marin Faure.
It’s odd that we never realize how wonderful our lives are until they’re in the past. Distant past frequently but it can happen over a day.
It’s odd too that often when we learn about it we are much more like each other here on TF than we probably would assume. FF and I were both shop teachers for a short time and also aviators. I always had one foot in aviation and eventually flew hang gliders and ultra lights. My father was into boats and owned and flew a Fokker seaplane. Yes the German one. It was wood w a cantilever wing. I’ll bet if we all had our cards on the table it would be amazing how similar we are.
Thank you FF for staying with us for so many years.
And thank you bluebyu for posting.

Last edited:
FF was special. No doubt about it.
Had many argument/conversations w him about over propping.
This takes me back to the extensive discussions I had w Marin Faure.
It’s odd that we never realize how wonderful our lives are until they’re in the past. Distant past frequently but it can happen over a day.
It’s odd too that often when we learn about it we are much more like each other here on TF than we probably would assume. FF and I were both shop teachers for a short time and also aviators. I always had one foot in aviation and eventually flew hang gliders and ultra lights. My father was into boats and owned and flew a Fokker seaplane. Yes the German one. It was wood w a cantilever wing. I’ll bet if we all had our cards on the table it would be amazing how similar we are.

Well said. What happened to MF?

Sorry to hear this, but feared it might be the case since we had not heard from him in a long time. He made great contributions here, and could be counted on for the “old school” perspective in things.

Yes, Fred was definitely a one-of-a-kind old school sailor. I was often frustrated by that approach as I thought it was a failure not to look at the problem from a modern tech point of view. But Fred was probably more often right than wrong.

I too will also miss him and his acerbic wit.

David

Yes, Fred was definitely a one-of-a-kind old school sailor. I was often frustrated by that approach as I thought it was a failure not to look at the problem from a modern tech point of view. But Fred was probably more often right than wrong.

I too will also miss him and his acerbic wit.

David

I think it was always a valuable perspective, even if I often chose to do things differently.

Another valuable asset is lost. Condolences to wife and family. Rest easy shipmate, we will maintain the watch.

He certainly had a wealth of boating knowledge. He will be missed and condolences to his family.

Well said. What happened to MF?

Rich,
I don’t know the details but from what I remember he returned to his pre-TF life. I never have seen him but he had friends here and some are probably still. One that comes to mind is Corey (I think) that had a nice white Lobsterboat. They were friends in Bellingham.

So I think he’s still working at Boeing and I suspect he still has the GB 36 and I’m sure he has the Rocna anchor on the bow.

I never ever won an argument w him but who else did? Spent many many posts trying but I feel I probably won several to many but we just kept on arguing and discussing until one of us got tired. I don’t hold it against him. We all are what we are mostly because of where we’ve been. We pick up attitudes and concepts and sometimes we go in the same direction so long we only have one side of whatever it is. TF is great because we frequently hear what we’ve not heard before. And as such we GROW OLD … and as is often said “wiser”. That is if we proceed objectively. I love the word “objective”. Now if I actually was objective I would be somebody else. I’m old school and that’s not very objective.:socool:

How sad. Fred and Charleen had opened their home (and dock) to Lena and I several times. It was always highlight when we were crossing Lake O to visit. Fred had a shop and was quick to dive into our boat projects and never asked for anything in return. He was one in a million.

I too will miss FF's contributions on this board. His was always the old school pragmatic approach and I appreciated that.
One of the Fred-isms that will stick, "Paint sells the boat!"

Wonder what ever happened to Phil/Fill??

Hope the best as the days go by.

I enjoyed his take on things, whether I agreed with him or not.
He had his ways of doing things and was willing and able to defend them.
Most unique fellow!

FF was special.... FF and I were both shop teachers for a short time and also aviators. I always had one foot in aviation and eventually flew hang gliders and ultra lights. My father was into boats and owned and flew a Fokker seaplane. Yes the German one. It was wood w a cantilever wing. I’ll bet if we all had our cards on the table it would be amazing how similar we are.
:thumb:
The Oracle on battery charging voltages, and other matters.
BTW, Fokker was located in Germany from 1912-1919 then relocating to Netherlands. The vibration of an F27 "Friendship" had to be experienced to believe.

Good bye Fred, I wish your soul well. You added a lot of intelligence to TF... Was fun to learn from you and debate with you. I surely miss your jokes!

Condolence to your family.

Art

RIP FF for sure. Along with his oft mentioned propane fridge and love for Danforth anchors, those of us oldies can fondly remember the big jet debates between he and Marin.

Sunchaser,
Now my memory has worked on it for a bit and I think Marin’s friend w the Lobsterboat was Carey .. not Corey. Wonder if he’s still in Bellingham too?
I must’a dialed out on the “big jet debates” .. don’t recall.

Sunchaser,
Now my memory has worked on it for a bit and I think Marin’s friend w the Lobsterboat was Carey .. not Corey. Wonder if he’s still in Bellingham too?
I must’a dialed out on the “big jet debates” .. don’t recall.

Carey’s boat from 2007.

Attachments

• F53E235C-7450-4AA2-8714-9E892E90FA3A.jpg
    F53E235C-7450-4AA2-8714-9E892E90FA3A.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 27
Yes Gig, that’s the boat and it is Cary.
Haven’t met him either. But he was pals w Marin.

That was a nice picture w the white boat w nice lines staged against the nearly black storm clouds. I’ll bet Marin took the pic. Cary and Marin sorta boated together.

I see you joined in 08. Close to an original

I will miss his simple solutions to complex problems. He may have been a curmudgeon but he was a knowledgeable curmudgeon. Sympathy and positive thoughts to his bride Charlene.

Rob

Absolutely share the above feelings - couldn't have put it better myself. Over the years shared quite a few PMs with FF, 'sorting things out', etc. Vale FF. He will be missed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom