GB 36 deck drain holes obstructed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caballero II

Vessel Name
Caballero II
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 36
Hey folks, my 1982 has small drain holes in the outside gutters at the stbd and port boarding gates, the lowest spots in the deck. They are too small and don't have any sort of grate. I have always been able to clear blockages before with a straightened wire coat hanger and a bucket of water but, I may have let it go too long this time, or maybe this marina is dirtier than my previous locations. I can't get them to drain. The boat is in a slip and the exit is apparently into a thru hull very near the waterline that probably drains the sink in the aft head. I haven't taken apart the bunks and drawers in the aft cabin, where I'm guessing I'll find the plumbing, but that would be a big job.

Is anyone intimately familiar with these drains and how to open them up without too much tearing up the interior. I'm a little afraid to apply much air or water hose pressure, but that seems to be where I'm heading next. Thanks, Tim

try inserting the fw hose nozzle into the hole a jet water thru. It you hold in tight to the hole it will generate some pressure and free the passages. I the drain outlet is at the waterline check also for barnacles in the outlet. use a screw drive or similar to insert into the opening.

Resurrecting this slightly aged thread: I have wet decks at this spot on my boat (a 1989 36 CL) and am hoping that clogged drain holes are the problem as well as the solution. But, um, I’m not seeing any (drains, that is). Does anyone know if the design change for the 36 in the mid-80’s did away with them?
Thanks in advance!

drain holes obstructed

This is a common issue with G.B's Two things that work. A plunger and a snake.
Measure your drain hole and order a snake that works. I have had a diver clean drains. Any other ideas are welcome.

Resurrecting this slightly aged thread: I have wet decks at this spot on my boat (a 1989 36 CL) and am hoping that clogged drain holes are the problem as well as the solution. But, um, I’m not seeing any (drains, that is). Does anyone know if the design change for the 36 in the mid-80’s did away with them?
Thanks in advance!

One issue with GBs is the lack of deck drainage. There are a pair of screened holes in the aft corners. If your water tanks are not full, you get a puddle fwd of those holes. The lighter the stern, the further the puddle moves forward.

Exactly right, Koliver -- the water tanks were light, and filling them helped the issue but did not solve it. I'm on the path to installing drains at the boarding gate locations, and would be interested in thoughts and cautions on doing it.

Exactly right, Koliver -- the water tanks were light, and filling them helped the issue but did not solve it. I'm on the path to installing drains at the boarding gate locations, and would be interested in thoughts and cautions on doing it.

On a previous boat, I had the same issue, so I cut scuppers through from the deck to the outside. I had no bulwarks and only 1" of FG to cut through, so filling the edges of the cut and sealing it was easy. My result was as if it had been designed in.
You may have a few inches to deal with, so that may not be a simple project.

I have had success using a strong shop vac overtop of stuck sewers in residential setting form a seal with a wet towel and suck then fish then vacuum repeat works pretty well

I have used tiewraps as a snake for small drain holes.

Back
Top Bottom