Hose clamp test: Project Farm (YouTube)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Number of different tests on hose clamps. Skandvik/ABA came out well, but there were others that did a bit better. I had not heard of them, but test includes some T-clamps.

https://youtu.be/jtMPq2lG-8U

Peter

Project Farm does a good job testing different things. I sometimes cheat and fast forward to the results.

Project Farm does a good job testing different things. I sometimes cheat and fast forward to the results.
I do too. This episode especially. The host does a good job - makes a big difference when a YT'er scripts an outline of the episode vs just riffs.

A useful test, but I found the editing and narration very annoying. But that's probably just me.

A useful test, but I found the editing and narration very annoying. But that's probably just me.

No...the pace and editing can get a bit annoying. But I give him a full pass because I think that style generally comes from necessity. He packs a TON of info in his videos. Many people on YouTube are trying to stretch out the timeline for viewing time. He is compressing it to constrain video length.

His volume of work is incredibly useful. Sometimes it doesn't tell the full story but you can usually get a grouping of products to completely avoid as well as get a grouping that's a pretty safe buy.

In this video I only saw one 316 SS clamp. That's still probably the one I would go with.

+1 on the 316SS clamp.

In the video, too little attention was paid to the material (IMHO).

+1 on the 316SS clamp.

In the video, too little attention was paid to the material (IMHO).

Don't forget this video was not boat specific. He did list materials though. But I do wish he would have had more 316ss clamps.

As far as listing which brand...I wasn't paying that much attention :whistling:
You will have to watch the video..lol.

The 316S/S is the most important part of what makes a good clamp. Have not watched the video but if 316S/S wasn’t emphasized then not sure about the test method. IMO the 3 most important things in a quality hose clamp are 1. 316S/S entirely including the screw. 2. Non perforated clamp band. 3. Rolled band edges in order not to cut the hose.

Swedish clamps from AWAB were not tested. But I do watch every video the guy puts out. PF addicted :)

Swedish clamps from AWAB were not tested. But I do watch every video the guy puts out. PF addicted :)

Then I would have to ask why they didn’t test the best clamps on the market.

The 316S/S is the most important part of what makes a good clamp. Have not watched the video but if 316S/S wasn’t emphasized then not sure about the test method. IMO the 3 most important things in a quality hose clamp are 1. 316S/S entirely including the screw. 2. Non perforated clamp band. 3. Rolled band edges in order not to cut the hose.

I agree completely except for one detail - the screw must be a stainless material, but if it were 316 it would gall with the band. The screw must be a slightly different stainless (like Nitronic) which does not gall against 316. In practice, I think this is indeed the case for 316 hose clamps.

Nick

Then I would have to ask why they didn’t test the best clamps on the market.

That was not his point. His point was to test the cheapest brands against an expensive one.

That was not his point. His point was to test the cheapest brands against an expensive one.

Ok, I didn’t watch the video but why not include the best? Does not make sense to me…

The 316S/S is the most important part of what makes a good clamp. .

I disagree

We had a lot of 2 inch plus Tridon Tbolt 316ss clamps fail on board, always at the 3 puny spot welds

Since replaced with cheap yum cha 304 band and cad plated steel bolt clones with 5 spot welds.

These have been trouble free for 4 years so far
No rust issues as they don't get wet.

Last edited:
He tested 16 different clamp manufacturers. He may simply not be aware of the brand. All his videos are recommended by viewers.

I disagree

We had a lot of 2 inch plus Tridon Tbolt 316ss clamps fail on board, always at the 3 puny spot welds

Since replaced with cheap yum cha 304 band and cad plated steel bolt clones with 5 spot welds.

These have been trouble free for 4 years so far
No rust issues as they don't get wet.

If you were to get AWAB Tbolt clamps you would find they don’t have any welds on them to promote rust. They have an interlocking system in place of the welds. Far superior to welded clamps.

Attachments

• 6BCD4905-3B9B-42DC-8476-C890CB0D128A.jpg
    6BCD4905-3B9B-42DC-8476-C890CB0D128A.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 19
  • F1CEAD84-D8D2-4222-A9A4-C2C61ECEFC21.jpg
    F1CEAD84-D8D2-4222-A9A4-C2C61ECEFC21.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 20
  • B3CD8477-CA9E-45B4-AC76-4B406601525F.jpg
    B3CD8477-CA9E-45B4-AC76-4B406601525F.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 19
Project Farm's audience is definitely more the general-mechanic type, so I expect he gets his samples where general hose clamps are available. Marine is niche--I wouldn't expect him to look for Swedish-made 316 stainless steel hose clamps for his tests.

You can always comment on his channel and see if he'll do a follow-on test for marine clamps. Plenty of boaters out there besides our crowd who might want to see it -- though maybe not as many as more mainstream mechanic types. It's all about the eyeballs and revenue generation now.

I did not watch it. Was Ideal braneded clamps tested?

I did not watch it. Was Ideal braneded clamps tested?

Yes. They were somewhere in the middle of performance curves.
Nothing to make me want to change them out.

Yes. They were somewhere in the middle of performance curves.

Nothing to make me want to change them out.
Middle of the road is good for me. Ideal branded clamps are a brand a lot of my suppliers carry and I use on a daily basis. Im happy with them for all my other motors.

A lot of boat owners, myself included, use Ideal clamps. The thing is Ideal makes clamps in four or five different materials. The clamps made by Ideal from 316 stainless are excellent.
Did he say what the material was on the Ideal clamp he tested?

I have used Ideal SS clamps for ~ 35 - 40 years on my boats and at work. Never had a problem.

I finally went for AWAB simply because of the no perforations, rather embossed gear rack for the worm gear to engage with and the rolled edges.

Last year I finally had a place I had to use a Silicone hose which requires a no holes and rolled edged clamp for good long term use.

Otherwise I would still be using Ideal but of course the all SS.

A lot of boat owners, myself included, use Ideal clamps. The thing is Ideal makes clamps in four or five different materials. The clamps made by Ideal from 316 stainless are excellent.

Did he say what the material was on the Ideal clamp he tested?
I don't remember exactly, but several of thr clamps were 304 SS.

I too have used ideal clamps for a long time. And I've replaced several due to failure similar go shown in the Project Farm analysis - clamp eventually fails, or the band breaks.

For critical hose clamps, the AWAB ones without perforations are peace of mind.

Peter

While there is value to making a clamp from 316, it is by no means a necessity unless it lives in the bilge. A solid band, rolled edge 304 clamp will last a very long time, in fact I can't recall the last failure I've seen of one. I reserve 316 requirements for wet locations. Pretty much every nut and bolt aboard is 304, and those are fine for 95% of applications.

The AWAB designed interlinked (not spot welded) T bolt clamps are excellent, and very resistant to crevice corrosion.

The Norma Group bought AWAB, which merged with ABA, long ago. Details here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/HoseClamps186-FINAL.pdf

Back
Top Bottom