Problem with Raymarine radar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sd1209

Vessel Name
Elizabeth Ann
Vessel Make
Navigator/Californian 3900
I have Raymarine RL80CRC Pathfinder radar/GPS in my boat. Operated fine since I bought the boat 7 mos ago. Yesterday the range markers started blinking about every 1-2 seconds....I thought at first it was in sync with the rotation of the antennae but it is not.....Just a bit slower....Both stations/monitors the same, all ranges....Radar still works fine but the blinking is very distracting. Obviously should not do that. GPS appears to be normal.

Any ideas??

Steve
San Diego
Navigator 3900

Does it actually say Raymarine, or Raytheon? That model was on the cusp.

1997: Raytheon releases Pathfinder Radar
2001: Raymarine acquires Raytheon's Recreational Marine Division
2004: Raymarine releases the "C-Series".

I doubt there are parts available and it's 25 year old technology, even if it's only a 19-20 year old unit.

Maybe look on ebay for a “new” one. Or just replace it all with current technology.

Maybe look on ebay for a “new” one. Or just replace it all with current technology.

Run the displays separately. If it happens when displays are not networked it would point to radome. Clearly something is headed for a breakdown. You might be able to find a used one on EBay but condition would be unknown.

If you depend upon radar coming back from islands then buying one generation old technology would be an alternative solution.

Having just searched for a replacement for a 2005 era Raymarine M92650-S that got crunched by our marina's travel lift, I've been surprised how many older parts are still available on the 'net (I used eBay). I didn't want to have to upgrade everything "downstream" from the array as everything still works fine otherwise. I did choose to replace the small 18" radome with a 48" open array from the same series, only because I have plenty of room for it and because upgrading was pretty low cost using second hand equipment. Upgrading to a bigger array in other words, but not newer. I see the RL80CRC initially came out in 2001, so that is getting kind of old though. Someday I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade my whole system, but not yet. As it is I'm going to have to get a new masthead light pole to clear the new array, and might as well get a new light while I'm at it. Had one of those piddly Perko lights and the plastic lenses would cloud over in just a couple summers.

By range markers, you mean range rings, correct? Have you turned the range rings off? It's not the end of the world to not have them. That would be the easiest solution. Maybe ,after leaving them off for a while and then turning them back on, they'll stabilize.

Back
Top Bottom