Mainship 400 2001 model

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterGuy

Hello Everyone.

I'm negotiating with a gent on a 40 mainship. He cannot tell me much other than the engine needs a new transmission. She is powered by a single 3126 Cat, and I'm trying to find out which gearbox model would be installed in this boat? Sorry about the vague and lack of info but the gent is elderly and his mind doesn't serve him correct some days. I will be viewing the boat soon and just want a heads up on the model gear that I need to purchase in order to negotiate price.

Kind Regards

I would seriously consider rebuilding the existing tranny. It's probably a ZF which by and large are bulletproof. You gotta take it out so might as well rebuild then no unexpected interface issues. You know, you buy "exact" same part and somehow it doesn't have all the adapters, bells and whisles, etc and you end up modifying or buying more stuff to make it fit.

I should add a couple of things, MS used multiple power combinations, my 350 has a 3126 and an ZF tranny, others are Yanmar etc. so to get the exact tranny you're going to have to get the make/model from your boat. Also, tranny might just be out of oil, might just be a seal repair. Certainly use cost of new tranny for negotiations, but before you get too set on replacing it, check the current tranny to see if it's something simple. Many times it can be something simple as a shift cable broke or off etc. If this owner has not had it diagnos'ed by an expert, it might be a simple repair.

I don’t think this could be a 2001 MS400. I believe the first year for the 400 was 2003, which was the year they switched over from the 390. Either the year or the model must be wrong. The 400 is easily identifiable by the “wings” that overhang the side walkways.

Toni
Welcome aboard TF.
Here is a link to the most complete info I have seen for the MS 400 model.
http://scyr.org/stellablue/index.php
I dont know what years MS made that model but the site & pictures might confirm if what you are looking at is the same.
The HIN may be another clue as to the model / year.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies. I stand corrected...yes she's a 2004 model MS 400. Went by the boat today but didn't go inside to have a look. Owner wasn't around and I don't like to trespass. Aparently the vessel has taken on water in the past and the trans sat semi-submerged for some time. Motor seems to be free from what they have said. I will have a better idea of the gear tag once I step aboard.

Look for wiring that could have been submerged too. Water can get in it and wick a long ways along the wire. Then you have to replace the wiring, it can get expensive.

Reading thru the thread again I realize I made an error, my MS350 has a Cat 3116, not a 3126 as I typed. Just a "truth in Lending" correction LOL!

Sounds like the "caveat" about the tranny being in the water is a "cover your ass" statement in case it fails. If saltwater intrusion occurred, definitely have it rebuilt. If nothing got inside the propshaft seal should have held and things might only be cosmetic. Gotta get dirty and have a look see.

Back
Top Bottom