Hello!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jboatman

Just introducing myself with a little explanation of why I’m here.

I currently own a 39’ express cruiser powered by two gas inboards.

My wife and I love the boat but we are looking for something a little different.

1. Something a little more conducive to staying a week out on the water.

2. More visibility while inside the cabin. Our current boat only has small windows which really aren’t useful for viewing out of.

3. Something that is quieter while underway and a little less fuel hungry.

4. More protected outdoor space.

I want to be able to relax and enjoy a relatively quiet cruise at a low speed.

I think a trawler would work well for this, or maybe even a diesel sedan cruiser. I haven’t been on a trawler in operation, so I don’t know how loud they are at the helm or in the lounge areas.

Here is what I think the difficult part will be. We like simple and light colored interior design, and most trawlers that we have seen are more rich and bright woods. Which, looks great, just isn’t our preference.

I’m also a little scared that jumping straight from an express cruiser to a trawler is going to be a bit extreme, although, I think it seems like they fit our use case more. The last day trip we took, we never got above 8 knots and covered about 40 miles, which we both enjoyed, minus the noisy v8s.

Either way, thanks for having me, and I welcome any and all feedback and suggestions. I would love to here your thoughts on any of the above.

Last edited:
There are some companies that charter trawlers, maybe that would help you decide.

You seem to want to use your current boat as a trawler, you should transition just fine.
You`ll likely have 2 diesels under you, good sound proofing helps.
Better to keep your "lighter" interior design a preference. Later boats may be "lighter" inside, older Taiwanese trawlers(TTs) can be heavy on teak fitout. Our 2005 has plenty of mid toned teak,plenty of lighter surfaces too.
Look at boats to firm up your ideas, online or in person. Select a size, a price range, and explore. Many a boater started with fixed ideas only to buy something quite different, stay flexible learning and exploring. As an experienced owner you have a good start.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom