What provisions are OK to bring from US into Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon GB

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Raven
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
I'm heading to Canada from the US, entering the Gulf Islands from the State of Washington. The first mate (who is in charge of provisioning) wants to get the low down on what foods are permissible to bring from the US into Canada, and in what form (pre-packaged, home cooked, frozen, raw, etc.)

We plan to do a major provisioning in Nanaimo but will be spending most of the prior week enjoying the Gulf Islands.

We're looking for an alternative to just heading straight to Ganges and provision there (not planning a Ganges stop on this trip). We'd really like to be self-sufficient for 5 days or so, visiting various anchorages that aren't near stores.

SO - all you old salts that have been doing this for years, let's assume that our boat is the one picked for an actual look-see by Canadian Customs upon entry. What should we definitely not have aboard and what would be OK? (no need for a discussion of alcohol imports - got that squared away).

No cannabis, no firearms, chicken and eggs varies week to week. There are some states they allow eggs from, some not. Currently WA eggs, no, but CA eggs okay. Keep the carton that states their origin. Or hard boil them if you have questions. They're touchy about apples, but no problem with oranges, since they don't grow them.

22kg of meat (beef) per person, no real limit that I've found on fish. Canned and prepared foods okay. Meals made in advance, leftovers, or vacuum sealed meals okay.

If asked everything is for consumption by the crew, and you have no intention of taking off the boat until consumed. (unless you DO plan on it, then all bets are off)
Goat and lamb are not allowed, even if in canned commercial pet food.

This is a good place to start:

https://inspection.canada.ca/food-s...-personal-use/eng/1389630031549/1389630282362

Here's another:
https://inspection.canada.ca/about-...use-exemption/eng/1520439688578/1520439689098

On alcohol, you sound like you already know this, but if opened, just claim as various "alcohol, various, cabin stores"

Above all, be totally honest with the agent. If you goof up on something, but it's an honest mistake (and they are possible with all the conflicting info out there) they'll likely let you slide.

We use ArriveCan, but Nexus is better. Using ArriveCan, you have to be at an actual Port of Entry, but with Nexus, you can call when crossing, and likely won't have to actually go to a Port of Entry unless they require it.

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!

Edit: Actually you CAN take a shotgun in if you really feel the need, but there are forms to fill out, and you MUST report in to a Port of Entry, and WILL be inspected. Us, we don't see the need.

Last edited:
Thanks Slowgoesit - helpful info.

Glad you mentioned Nexus. From reviewing the Canadian websites, it looks like Canada will allow Nexus for entry this year and we are planning to go that way.

That's going to be my next post, "Has anyone used Nexus to enter Canada by boat this summer?"

Double check on citrus… last time I looked it up, no fresh citrus could be taken into Canada from the US.

Check the list regularly as it changes a lot.

I was kind of surprised about the no cannabis so I went to a government site to check out whether it can be brought into Canada. This was more for my curiosity rather than any issues raised in this thread. Here is what I found:

Entering Canada
Cannabis is legal for adults in Canada. However, it is still illegal to transport cannabis and products containing cannabis – including edible cannabis, cannabis extracts and cannabis topicals – across the Canadian border:

No matter how much cannabis you have with you
Even if you are authorized to use cannabis for medical purposes in any form, including cannabidiol (CBD)
Even if you are travelling to or from a municipality, state or country where cannabis has been legalized or decriminalized
If you are entering Canada and have cannabis with you in any form, you must declare it to the Canada Border Services Agency.

Not declaring cannabis in your possession at the Canadian border is a serious criminal offence. You could be arrested and prosecuted.

Cannabis

It has nothing to do with being legal in Canada or now. It has to do with whether or not Federal Taxes have been collected. They are doing their best to protect their home grown (pun intended) cannabis industry.

Cannabis

It has nothing to do with being legal in Canada or now. It has to do with whether or not Federal Taxes have been collected. They are doing their best to protect their home grown (pun intended) cannabis industry.
Follow the money for any law

While cannabis might be legal in Washington State it is not legal at the border or on federal waters.

No citrus, no seeds, no pits, is always the best rule of thumb.
Two bottles of wine per person.
Any hard liquor open the bottle, break the seal it is then considered “bar stock”, a term that I learned from a Customs guy one day.
Doesn’t make any difference if you have NEXUS, you have to use the arrive can app.
BTW NEXUS has not been able to renew expired cards since covid.
We cleared customs three weeks ago at Bedwell Harbor. Even though custom people were there, you have to use the phones to call into a central check in. The Customs guy apologized because they cannot check you in anymore, they will only look at the boat after you are issued your number.

You are safe with canned goods.
Canada has lots of fresh stuff. Same as reentering the US. Buy local.

Back
Top Bottom