Autopilot options for 1982 IG32?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeanOz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Markeeta
Vessel Make
1982 Island Gypsy 32
Howdy TF'ers,

I'm looking into the option of installing an autopilot onto my IG32. I don't really want to go through changing my cable steering over to hydraulic, as that is all that I have been told to do so far. I would then have to glass in a mounting point for the ram and route in hydraulic lines from the upper and lower helms and whilst not an overly expensive exercise, I'm hoping that someone here will know of another option for me. I am located in Melbourne, Australia.

Cheers all ?⚓

look up CPT auto pilot. should work on a displacement speed trawler. drives the wheel at the helm like some sailboat systems.

Raymarine makes a mechanical rotary drive that will work. ‘Tis a little pricey. I found a drive motor here on the forum. Im just waiting to get to installing it and new electronic controls when budget permits.

Raymarine makes a mechanical rotary drive that will work. ‘Tis a little pricey. I found a drive motor here on the forum. Im just waiting to get to installing it and new electronic controls when budget permits.

Thanks Mike - I was looking at theirs and yes, I believe it came to about 8+k AUD for all the bits. Good bit of kit though. ?

TWedd's option is 2.2k USD delivered to Oz. Basic looking, but I'm reading about it now.

Anyone by chance know the displacement of the IG32 in full cruise trim (fuel / water)?

On my 44 the rudders are under the bed. There is a Robertson system with actuator on the rudder arm and feedback also. Steering still mechanical cable and pulley, chain and sprockets on wheels.

Anyone by chance know the displacement of the IG32 in full cruise trim (fuel / water)?
The IG manual which comes with the boat has the displacement for various IGs. Dry presumably. Someone on TF must have a manual, mine went with the boat.

The IG manual which comes with the boat has the displacement for various IGs. Dry presumably. Someone on TF must have a manual, mine went with the boat.

I have mine on the boat and will check tomorrow - cheers! ?

MY IG30 is 14,500 Dry. Est another 2000 for fuel water. Est another 2000 for passengers supplies.

The Raymarine EV-150 autopilot system allows you to maintain current cable system. It's about $2250 US with pump. You do need to securely mount the ram. I added a bronze rudder tiller arm to the second rudder. Hydraulic lines simply run from pump to ram. Both could be in lazarette but pump would be subject to more corrosion as lazarette tends to be wetter than ER. The autopilot and compass can be mounted in the closet. The controller can be installed on the steering wheel wall.

The autopilot has a clutch connection that can be used to energize the bypass valve allowing usage of cable system. You could also add a manual bypass for backup.

If you have Raymarine MFD's then it's all plug and play with STng.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce for the heads-up. For others who may be interested, here are the IG stats. As for this thread, thank you all. I think I have made up my mind and I thank you for your input.

Cheers⚓

IMG_7934.jpg

Pilot Sorted

Hi all,
I ended up going with the Raymarine EV1 wheel pilot. It was very easy to DIY install and I'm very happy with the way it works. I'm also happy I had to make zero changes to the steering system on the boat. All up, under $3k AUD. Thanks for the input guys ⚓️?.

Hi all,
I ended up going with the Raymarine EV1 wheel pilot. It was very easy to DIY install and I'm very happy with the way it works. I'm also happy I had to make zero changes to the steering system on the boat. All up, under $3k AUD. Thanks for the input guys ⚓️?.

So I've been looking at CPT autopilot, as everything that is posted says that I CANNOT use the EV1 on a motor vessel. I've been wondering why it wouldn't but perhaps you can give me some insight into your install and use? TYIA

So I've been looking at CPT autopilot, as everything that is posted says that I CANNOT use the EV1 on a motor vessel. I've been wondering why it wouldn't but perhaps you can give me some insight into your install and use? TYIA

I'll take some pics and post them here tonight to show the install. I've been meaning to do a quick video and post it on YouTube, as I couldn't find any when I was researching it (I must get on to that). I spoke with the tech support at Raymarine prior to purchasing the kit and they said they didn't know of anyone doing it to a motor boat, but could offer no reason why it couldn't be done.

Perhaps the CHB 34 is just a little too heavy? My weight comes in just under the max weight recommended by Raymarine and I don't tend to fill my tanks where I cruise. If I had full fuel and water and provisions on board, I may end up maxing out the weight for the pilot. That said, it just turns the helm wheel and doesn't have a clue how much the boat weighs. My wheel is 3 turns lock-to-lock (cable steer), so the pilot is only making relatively small changes to the steering angle.

She works a treat so far and if I'm making way in a bigger sea, or beam-on / following, then she works harder to maintain the heading. That's due to the fact that I didn't opt in for the optional rudder sensor, so as the boat yaws, the gyro has a conniption and the computer makes loads of changes to the steering angle as a result. If it bugs me, I may buy the sensor, but it's not bugging me yet.

I found the install to be very easy and I'm no whiz in the electronics department. Very much plug'n'play.

��⚓

Last edited:
I would LOVE to see a YouTube and pics on your install. My wheel moves really quite easily and I to be honest, it requires much less torque than a sail yacht would.

Thanks in advance!

I would LOVE to see a YouTube and pics on your install. My wheel moves really quite easily and I to be honest, it requires much less torque than a sail yacht would.

Thanks in advance!

Romeo to that. Here's one photo I found. I'll have to do the video and upload it this week. The motor pod is positioned at 10 o'clock and luckily, most of the clearances worked. Except for the lock pin which holds the unit solid. I just had to purchase a cylinder of hard plastic to act as a shim.

IMG_8278 2.jpg

wow, that looks like a very clean install. Thanks mate!

You've given me the confidence to go ahead and make that work. Look forward to see your video too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom