Fall Departure dates for cruising south

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Awsmits

Hi, thinking about taking the boat (SeaRay 440 Aft Cabin) from CT to SC this fall. Is there a thread that addresses when the best/latest time to head south? I would take the ICW after getting to Norfolk. Is early November too late?

We always left CT for FL on October 2nd. YMMV.

I delivered boats and did a decade of my own trawler between NJ and FL from 2003-2019. Most trips left in mid-Oct to mid-Dec.

Many of the deliveries were in Sea Rays capable of 20+ knots as I worked for a Sea Ray dealership.

The rule of thumb for snowbirders often spoken was to be to Norfolk/south by Nov 1st.

I can verify that Nov and Dec can be tough but are mostly doable (especially for faster boats as weather windows are getting shorter and shorter.

Many marinas start to turn off water and some even electric in late Oct...fuel is usually no problem.

By mid Dec, the chances of snow, sleet, freezing temps and harbor ice in the upper Chesapeake starts to increase significantly.

I would have no problem leaving CT in early Nov. In a vessel that I wouldn't mind running on plane a few days to get to critical safe harbors. Just make it to Norfolk in a reasonable time without too long of delays. I don't say as fast as possible because a few stops will be memorable if this is your/crews first trip south.

Hi, thinking about taking the boat (SeaRay 440 Aft Cabin) from CT to SC this fall. Is there a thread that addresses when the best/latest time to head south? I would take the ICW after getting to Norfolk. Is early November too late?

We left here on 11/14 in 2017 headed for Charleston, and that worked well enough... previous boat with planing hull, but mostly at trawler speeds...

-Chris

Imo, once you reach Delaware bay, it really doesn't matter prior to the 1st of the year. There really aren't magic dates before the 1st of the year. Go early and you may be dodging a hurricane. Go after hurricane season and it Northeasters may have you hiding for days.

While North of Norfolk you may have to look a little harder for marinas with water and pumpout services in late October, November, and December, finding marinas with bathhouse facilities isn't difficult.

I left in late January from the Crisfield, MD in 2016. Was able to fill the water tanks and use their bathhouse. It was miserable sleeping on the boat as the water was starting to freeze. Norfolk water temperature was over 10 degrees warmer and from that point cruising is reasonable.

Probably the bigger question is whether this trip is sightseeing or a delivery run? If you plan to stop along the way and sightsee, late September and October are very comfortable on the Chesapeake. I did this last fall and enjoyed several nice days at St Mary's city.

Ted

Wow, I was just about to ask a very similar question. We are in Portland Maine, (and thinking of going a little further north) and I quess we have about 6 more weeks until we turn south?

We left Savannah in early April and we are trying to determine when to head south...

Wow, I was just about to ask a very similar question. We are in Portland Maine, (and thinking of going a little further north) and I quess we have about 6 more weeks until we turn south?

We left Savannah in early April and we are trying to determine when to head south...

As can be seen by the variety of opinions above, one needs to know if are you cruising south (leisurely), or are you getting south as fast as possible?

If cruising, the nice weather on average is over Mid-Oct around Delaware Bay and around Mid-Nov in the Norfolk area. After that you get cold, but it's rarely a show stopper unless you love outside cruising.

If you are just rocketing south, and the boat and you are set up for cold weather cruising, as Ted posted....leaving even Jan 1st from the Jersey area is doable...but your weather windows start to shrink dramatically on the front side of Thanksgiving.

I"m headed that direction too likely mid-April and have a SeaRay 460 Sundancer. :) See ya on the ICW!

Many fuel docks and marinas in New England close after Nov. 1. Many go to weekend only service after Columbus Day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom