Dolphin SLIPS antifouling coating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick14

Guru
Vessel Name
Culmination
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Sedan
Has anyone used the Dolphin SLIPS antifouling coating?

https://www.slipsdolphin.com

https://www.soundingsonline.com/boat-shop/this-antifouling-coating-creates-a-liquid-surface

This is an alternative antifouling coating that creates a very smooth and slippery surface to which marine organisms cannot attach. There have been other attempts to do similar things, like Finsulate -

https://www.finsulate.com/en/

and Macglide -

https://www.macglide.eu

Though neither of these seem to be available in the U.S.

Years ago I visited an Interlux lab and they showed me an experimental antifouling coating that worked on the same principle. It created a very hard, smooth slippery surface. They gave me a test board coated with the material, and then a piece of duct tape. I couldn't get the duct tape to stick to the coated surface. It was amazing, it would fall right off. I don't know if Interlux ever commercialized it, but it made an impression.

The Dolphin SLIPS also seems appealing because it reduces fuel consumption, very important in the new world of $6/gal diesel.

Has anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks!

I know someone who used a similar product, a clear bottom paint, on their center console. Works great when the boat is being used on a regular basis. They had a delay getting the boat up on a lift for the month before they were taking it over to the Bahamas, and one month of sitting at the dock developed a lot of growth that wiped off easily. Then the next few months in the Bahamas they had no problem.

I wonder if it would be an issue with travel lifts being so slippery, could the boat slip out of the slings?

I wonder if it would be an issue with travel lifts being so slippery, could the boat slip out of the slings?

From their application instructions:

LIFTING INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOATS PAINTED WITH SLIPS® Dolphin™
Silicone based foul release coatings are so slippery that boats painted with them have the
potential of slipping out of the front travel lift sling straps when being lifted. This can be
avoided by tying a dock line from the port bow sling to the port aft sling, thereby preventing them
from separating. The same safety dock line should be attached to the starboard bow and stern
sling straps.

Thought there might be a problem. Whoever uses it better make sure the yard knows about it.

Silicone based foul release coatings are so slippery that boats painted with them have the
potential of slipping out of the front travel lift sling straps when being lifted. This can be
avoided by tying a dock line from the port bow sling to the port aft sling, thereby preventing them
from separating. The same safety dock line should be attached to the starboard bow and stern
sling straps.

:eek:

Thank you for pointing that out! Yikes!! That's a potential disaster if one doesn't take care! I can imagine the horrible scene that could play out with a boat falling out of the slings!

These ultra-slippery coatings are intriguing, both because they are less harmful to the environment by not leaching toxic chemicals, and for their ability to improve fuel economy. Even a 5% reduction in fuel usage could be >$1,000 savings in a season (thanks to $6/gal diesel). The cost of the coating could pay for itself in a year.

Yes, it could ruin your day if the yard doesn’t know how to lift it…

Kept boats in Marion as had a mooring from Bardens for some years. Think the boat used as a demo is unlike many as it sees very frequent use on a daily basis. Also operated at high speed. Wonder about the circles in the pre pressure washed part of the video. Think instead of submersed metals video would be much more convincing if entire port side left conventional and starboard their product (or reverse). Video compares apples to oranges.
Will wait for a practical sailor opinion or similar

Last edited:
I didn’t really read their website but I wonder what happens when you need a second coat. If the first coat is so slippery how would a second coat adhere to the first coat? It looks very promising but I also wonder if it works in freshwater with slime and grasses instead of barnacles.

I didn’t really read their website but I wonder what happens when you need a second coat. If the first coat is so slippery how would a second coat adhere to the first coat? It looks very promising but I also wonder if it works in freshwater with slime and grasses instead of barnacles.

From the website, it seems additional coats can be applied on top of another if it’s still tacky. Once it’s cured, new applications in the future require a thorough sanding of the existing finish.

Reactivating an old(er) thread, has anyone had any contact with Dolphin and their SLIPS bottom paint? The phone number is disconnected, and multiple inquiries through their website have gone unanswered. Their website says the Dolphin SLIPS paint is 'currently out of stock', but I've been writing to them since last summer and no response.

Sure seems like they've gone belly up, which would be a major shame. I love the idea of their ultra-slick bottom paint, and was hoping to use it on the fresh bottom of my boat.

sling straps.
I had a sailboat that would do that even with a rough bottom due to the shape of the hull. Fortunately the first time I had it hauled the yard was familiar with the model so they went ahead and tied the straps together. I imagine they learned it the first time by dropping one. This is another reason to always be there when the boat is moved. Never let the yard do it without witnesses, and shoot video the whole time. It's called evidence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom