Replace Grand Banks Water Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flip66

Vessel Name
Tranquila
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Classic
1989 Grand Banks 36 twin needs new water pump. Existing Jabsco 36900-1000 is old tech and is available for $500 - $700. Has anyone found a good substitute replacement for this pump. I assume I can use the existing accumulator.

I replaced the same pump with a Jabsco Par-Max HD Series Freshwater Delivery Pump Model: Q401J‐115S‐3A last year. It is a bit noisier but so far I'm happy with it.

Simi, not everyone has 240v, or even a generator

Well, for those that are US based it would of course be a 110v pump
And an inverter ( I don't use a generator to run a pump)

I bought a Jabsco HD from Defender last month, lasted a week then built in prs switch died. At the same time I replaced accumulator tank.

Seems original 30 year old tank failed causing pump to cycle, causing switch, to fail killing pump.

Defender sent new pump ups lost so now have extra back up Johnson pump. Jabsco pump has horrible reviews. I don't expect it to last but a couple months.

If you can use a SqrD well pump control and bypass press switch. Then should last a long time.

Why not a 240v pump?

I'm sick of replacing 12/24v ones so going back to a 240v variant

I like this line of reasoning. 12VDC water pumps are a pain to adjust, noisy and unreliable. I guess the problem for me would be peak load on the inverter. I could get a cheap non-marine inverter just for the pump.

I just ordered a Flojet 4405 to replace a Jabsco that is dripping from the body. I’ll let you know how it goes.

The quietest and most powerful DC domestic water pump is the Headhunter XCaliber. Yes, they are expensive. There's a few caveats for installation: 1. Put nothing between the pump and accumulator tank - filter and/or regulator only after the tank. 2. Accumulator tank should be 2 gal or more drawdown. 3. Strainer only, no filter on the suction side. 4. If installation is above tank water level there must be a check valve at the tank or tank manifold, and a Tee with a threaded plug on the suction side of the strainer to make priming easy when needed. Otherwise, running out of water can be a big PITA with one of these pumps.

The 115V Mach5 is twice as powerful as the XCaliber, with performance like at home.

Back
Top Bottom