Ocean Alexander Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsbraga

Vessel Name
Adrift at Last
Vessel Make
Selene 53
I’ve had a 53 Selene and am now looking into a Ocean Alexander. Is the OA a value boat or a really good build?

My OA Mk 1 is a 1981 build, and was the model that in some respects launched the brand in western markets. Ed Monk Jnr designed it and a number of subsequent models. At the time the Mk 1 was aimed at the upper end of the market, but well priced. It was a solid build. Those of us with these old boats may say things like the electricals are an achilles heel. But then you also need to consider the impact of "DIY owner improvements" over many years, and it is likely the root cause of most complaints.

OA moved to larger boats, and only recently re-entered the owner-operator segment again. The fact that they are still going strong after more than 40 years says something.

I don't have detailed knowledge of their larger and more recent designs and builds, but my guess is that they'd be ranked upper midrange in terms of quality.

But bear in mind brands can vary over time. Some models are better than others. Brand and model specific forums and fecebook group could be very informative where they are not restricted to owners only, and you are able to join them.

Last edited:
I’ve had a 53 Selene and am now looking into a Ocean Alexander. Is the OA a value boat or a really good build?

Yes. It is one or the other, depending on point of view and which boat and when and where built. In general, the quality of build is good, but it's also a value boat in that may use less expensive materials inside, but that's often due to the original buyer. As with any boat, the survey is important.

I have been incredibly impressed with every OA I have been on. Great quality, heavy build, just beautiful......

2010 54’

If this is the trawler style OA with the forward raked windshield, not too many were built. The price matched a similar sized Nordhavn or Selene but seemed to lack attention to “blue water” design detail.

I’ve been on a few. If you care to, PM me with exact model and I may have some insights.

Ocean Alexander was the first "Taiwanese Trawler" company to really emphasize quality, it is what first set them apart. Based on my experience and examination they're generally well designed and constructed with good hardware. I know a post above called them a 'midrange' boat, that's the first time I ever saw midrange and OA in the same sentence.

Nordhaven and Selene focus more on blue water use than OA does. That isn't a reflection of quality it is a reflection of design priority. Things that make a comfortable cruiser generally aren't ideal for open ocean use (big cockpits and large windows for example). Conversely the things that make a boat good for crossing an ocean often make them less ideal for coastal use. OA has done well in identifying what their market needs and delivering a quality product that fits those needs.

OA 54 Classico

It’s a single C-9 CAT with 2,200 hrs. I’m super interested in the keel design as well as other stability issues.

If this is the trawler style OA with the forward raked windshield, not too many were built. The price matched a similar sized Nordhavn or Selene but seemed to lack attention to “blue water” design detail.

I’ve been on a few. If you care to, PM me with exact model and I may have some insights.

Back
Top Bottom