Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. S. G. That's a good one A (Canadian).

iu

Reminded of the flood affected musical household. Daughter floated away on the double bass, her sister accompanied her on the piano.

If we want to discuss something serious.............to me this is a real game changer. If what they say is true than this is going to change the 'tender world' for super and mega yachts, but also for the normal day cruiser.

I have not tried one of these, so have to rely on what they claim. If anyone has better information I am all ears.

If we want to discuss something serious.............to me this is a real game changer. If what they say is true than this is going to change the 'tender world' for super and mega yachts, but also for the normal day cruiser.

I have not tried one of these, so have to rely on what they claim. If anyone has better information I am all ears.

Not bad... but not quite "IT" yet - IMO.

Wonder the initial cost and cost for a top of the line battery change in approx every 10 yrs?. Of course, in 10 yrs batt tech will be on improved level - we hope!

Noticed the fellow said "3 to 5 hours operation at 20 mph" That a very wide span of hours to state. Makes me think the lower 3-hours may be reality. Also said "6 hours to fully recharge". If you want to use [cruise] the boat for the day, and you start in the early morning... by mid day at latest - you're stuck for 6 hr recharge!

Regarding range: 3 to 5 hours as max time at 20 mph = 60 to 100 miles till 6 hour charge. Doable as long as the electric hook up is available where batt power runs too low. I may have missed it... but... Is charging done off 30 or 50 amp box? Is 120v or 240 v needed for charging in 6 hours?

Like I mentioned above: Not bad... but not quite "IT" yet - IMO.

That is Strumpet, Ernest Gann’s boat. I’d walk around it and stare every time we stopped at Ft. Monroe. Great, salty looking boat.

I like that little "fisher" style boat. Sure cuts water nice in video... probably WOT; seems to be going rather fast for hull design; if her bottom's the shape I think it is.

Item that concerns me: Lack of visual capability in front... for flotsam and the like.

attachment.php

Anchored in East Sound, Orcas Island, WA

Attachments

• IMG_6459.jpg
    IMG_6459.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 260
Art, if you like the 'Fisher' style boat, you might like this one. It's a 2011 Legacy Trawler. I've heard of them before, don't know much about them or how many were built. It certainly looks salty and sturdy. Though with 36 hp Yanmar and a 5.5 kt cruise speed, and 6.5 kt max WOT speed, makes for leisurely trips:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2011-legacy-32-mkiii-7178942/

Attachments

• LegacyTrawler.jpg
    LegacyTrawler.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 29
One more for you Art, a real 'Fisher', a British Fisher Trawler from the 1970s:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1978-fisher-trawler-38-7446084/

I've always liked these. I know my tastes are very 'particular' and 'specific' (some would say strange), but I've always liked the combination of a truly salty look, separate raised pilothouse, the ability to achieve semi-displacement speeds, and full walk-around decks, in a smaller boat. Not many around with the combination of all of those.

From the little I know, these were built in the U.K. in the 1970's/1980's. A handful seem to have made it over here. Twin 212 hp Ford Sabre diesels give it the ability to scoot close to 20 knots when needed. There are design compromises squeezing all this into 38 feet, like a pilothouse that's more like a perch, but I love it.

It seems my tastes are unique, because I don't know of any builder who makes anything quite like this. A little trivia, Pacific Seacraft, the sailboat maker who made the 38T ft double cabin trawler about 15-20 years ago, had drawings for a version of a trawler on the same 38 ft hull that for all the world looked like a clone of the Fisher 38 pilothouse. Then Pacific Seacraft went out of business.

They rarely come up for sale (probably because there are only maybe 3 in this country). This one looks like it needs some work. Maybe a lot of work.

There's a guy in Washington who has one on Puget Sound. He restored it, it was the topic of a Passagemaker article few years ago:

https://www.passagemaker.com/cruise...w-reviving-the-perfect-family-cruiser-gallery

I reached out to him several years ago, gently inquiring if he might be interested in selling it. At the time, the message I heard was along the line of 'everything is for sale for a price, make me an offer I can't refuse.'

Attachments

• FisherTrawler.jpg
    FisherTrawler.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 29
Art, if you like the 'Fisher' style boat, you might like this one. It's a 2011 Legacy Trawler. I've heard of them before, don't know much about them or how many were built. It certainly looks salty and sturdy. Though with 36 hp Yanmar and a 5.5 kt cruise speed, and 6.5 kt max WOT speed, makes for leisurely trips:

Cute Boat! However:

Week or so ago... We traveled 80 miles with a 3.5 knot current. Having our Tolly rpm set at 7 knots for a slack tide we were GPS averaging 10.5 KOL. If we'd been going against that current we'd have been doing 3.5 KOL. However... seeing as we could easily step up rpm set to do 17 knots at a slack tide... we could still be going 13.5 KOL against the current.

Whereas - in the boat mentioned above - our max speed going against the current would me 3 KOL. And, if staying in cruise speed of 5.5 KOL = 2 KOL. That is nuts!!

One BIG reason I like twin screw planing hull boats! :thumb:

Last edited:
The legacy trawler was available in multiple configurations all on a 32 ft basic hull form

These were built as semi-customizable so you could theoretically overpower them.

I had a friend who contracted with legacy to create a semi-displacement version installing a Cummins 6bta making 280 horsepower.
The boat supposedly would do 18 knots if you wanted to step it up.

That boat to my knowledge was never finished as legacy basically went out of business after playing a shell game with customers down payment money.

I've been onboard a couple of the legacy boats from late 90s early 2000 vintage. They seem well built from that era

It's like owning a Harley. If you have to explain it, it's a waste of time.

Cute Boat! However:

Week or so ago... We traveled 80 miles with a 3.5 knot current. Having our Tolly rpm set at 7 knots for a slack tide we were GPS averaging 10.5 KOL. If we'd been going against that current we'd have been doing 3.5 KOL. However... seeing as we could easily step up rpm set to do 17 knots at a slack tide... we could still be going 13.5 KOL against the current.

Whereas - in the boat mentioned above - our max speed going against the current would me 3 KOL. And, if staying in cruise speed of 5.5 KOL = 2 KOL. That is nuts!!

Exactly Art. It doesn't matter how efficient you can cruise at 5 knots because if you are fighting a 5 knot current, your efficiency is now zero.

Alloy cruiser with twin Gardners, twin hydraulic thrusters and flopper stoppers.
Circa make the FPBs in Whangerei

]

Pricing seems ambitious in my eyes.

Rolling chocks, not flopper stoppers (unless I missed them)

That blocking freaks me out a lot
Bloody Jenga ;)

1782515716.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad... but not quite "IT" yet - IMO.

Wonder the initial cost and cost for a top of the line battery change in approx every 10 yrs?. Of course, in 10 yrs batt tech will be on improved level - we hope!

Noticed the fellow said "3 to 5 hours operation at 20 mph" That a very wide span of hours to state. Makes me think the lower 3-hours may be reality. Also said "6 hours to fully recharge". If you want to use [cruise] the boat for the day, and you start in the early morning... by mid day at latest - you're stuck for 6 hr recharge!

Like I mentioned above: Not bad... but not quite "IT" yet - IMO.
I don't see this as an option for me, although I must say that I am in the market for an electrical outboard engine. I have 2 reasons for that. First I get rid of gasoline onboard, but second, we will visit islands where there is no fuel station near the port or near the bay where we will be. An electrical outboard that I can charge on my solar panels will be great.

The boat in this video is ideal for super- and mega yachts. No more gasoline onboard and they can charge them overnight. And the cost of changing the batteries ? I don't think the owners of those type of yachts care a lot about the price anymore. But the most expensive version sells for 180.000 USD I read, so a couple of sizes smaller would sell for around 100.000, not too bad I think.

I have never seen that model of the Legacy... I have seen the larger house version.... Seems to me the price is a rather optimistic.....

Value is always hard for a vessel with a limited market.
Lots of questions, 762 hours in 13 years being the first one.
Circa would be one of the better alloy builders so no doubt some premium there.
I don't particularly like it, but for sure interesting.

Looks like flopper stoppers to me.

Circa 4.jpg

That blocking freaks me out a lot
Bloody Jenga ;)

1782515716.jpg

Eh, what's the worst that could happen?

Only that the boat falls off and destroys itself and anything and anyone it hits in the process.

Exactly Art. It doesn't matter how efficient you can cruise at 5 knots because if you are fighting a 5 knot current, your efficiency is now zero.

Cute Boat! However:

But think of the fuel efficiency! With a 36 hp Yanmar, that Legacy probably burns around a quart of diesel per hour! Like an old Albin 25. It might be a slow way to go places, but in terms of $/hour just to be on the water, a package like this can't be beat. With diesel above $6/gal and likely to stay that way for a while, that sounds pretty good just for being able to be out on the water. You'd have to go to a sailboat to have a lower hourly running cost.

Besides, most of the world's explorations in historical times were done in old-school sailing ships that might not have averaged much more than the Legacy can manage. Columbus crossed the Atlantic (and back) at comparable or slower speeds.

Kidding aside, I get it and feel the same way. The feasibility of cruising at low-middle single-digit speeds depends on the currents one is encountering, and the time one has available. At this point in my life with limited time remaining, and in our local waters with 3-4 knot adverse currents possible in Buzzard's Bay or the Cape Cod Canal, a 6-7 knot boat would mean being either almost stationary some of the time, or having to do like the Old World sailors and wait for the tides.

I think of the ratio between cruise speed and the adverse currents likely to be encountered. When the ratio approaches 2:1 or less, and it can cut your effective SOT in half, it can be futile to fight against it.

The biggest factor for me is my Admiral. For me it's the journey. She's very much a 'destination' kind of person, with 'when are we going to get there?' being the most common question when underway. When I've tried going 7-8 knots in our previous boats, within 15 minutes she'd exclaim 'speed up I can't take it anymore!'.

Which is exactly the appeal to me of 'semi-displacement' designs, discussed in another thread. Fast enough to make reasonable progress even against adverse currents, but with better seakeeping abilities in nasty conditions and the option for better fuel economy than full planing.

But at >$6/gal, it all hurts. At least for the size of my wallet.

But think of the fuel efficiency! With a 36 hp Yanmar, that Legacy probably burns around a quart of diesel per hour! Like an old Albin 25. It might be a slow way to go places, but in terms of $/hour just to be on the water, a package like this can't be beat. With diesel above $6/gal and likely to stay that way for a while, that sounds pretty good just for being able to be out on the water. You'd have to go to a sailboat to have a lower hourly running cost.

Besides, most of the world's explorations in historical times were done in old-school sailing ships that might not have averaged much more than the Legacy can manage. Columbus crossed the Atlantic (and back) at comparable or slower speeds.

Kidding aside, I get it and feel the same way. The feasibility of cruising at low-middle single-digit speeds depends on the currents one is encountering, and the time one has available. At this point in my life with limited time remaining, and in our local waters with 3-4 knot adverse currents possible in Buzzard's Bay or the Cape Cod Canal, a 6-7 knot boat would mean being either almost stationary some of the time, or having to do like the Old World sailors and wait for the tides.

I think of the ratio between cruise speed and the adverse currents likely to be encountered. When the ratio approaches 2:1 or less, and it can cut your effective SOT in half, it can be futile to fight against it.

The biggest factor for me is my Admiral. For me it's the journey. She's very much a 'destination' kind of person, with 'when are we going to get there?' being the most common question when underway. When I've tried going 7-8 knots in our previous boats, within 15 minutes she'd exclaim 'speed up I can't take it anymore!'.

Which is exactly the appeal to me of 'semi-displacement' designs, discussed in another thread. Fast enough to make reasonable progress even against adverse currents, but with better seakeeping abilities in nasty conditions and the option for better fuel economy than full planing.

But at >$6/gal, it all hurts. At least for the size of my wallet.

I still like to mimic the: "... having to do like the Old World sailors and wait for the tides." I always plot for currents to best as possible be running in my favor. On the 80 mile cruise we took a couple weeks ago, from SF Delta into SF Bay, I picked a day the current was running up to 3.5 knots in our direction. Having set our boat's rpm at 7 knot cruise level the GPS was reading up to 10.5 knots SOG while traveling. That = huge fuel savings and time reduction.

I still like to mimic the: "... having to do like the Old World sailors and wait for the tides." I always plot for currents to best as possible be running in my favor. On the 80 mile cruise we took a couple weeks ago, from SF Delta into SF Bay, I picked a day the current was running up to 3.5 knots in our direction. Having set our boat's rpm at 7 knot cruise level the GPS was reading up to 10.5 knots SOG while traveling. That = huge fuel savings and time reduction.

If I'm out on my own I do the same. I'm all about the journey and just spending time out on the water.

But traveling with the Admiral is different. Her point (that I can't disagree with) is that our remaining time is limited. At our age, the number of years we realistically have left for boating is probably high single to (very) low double digits. Very best case might just hit the low teens number of years. There just isn't enough time left to go to anywhere even remotely close to the number of places I'd hoped to reach by water.

Her question is, of the limited remaining time we have left, would I rather double, or cut in half, the number of destinations and harbors reached?

$6/gal fuel is VERY painful to the size of our wallets. But, the Admiral's other point is, we can't take it with us. Might as well spend some of it going places by boat.

If I'm out on my own I do the same. I'm all about the journey and just spending time out on the water.

But traveling with the Admiral is different. Her point (that I can't disagree with) is that our remaining time is limited. At our age, the number of years we realistically have left for boating is probably high single to (very) low double digits. Very best case might just hit the low teens number of years. There just isn't enough time left to go to anywhere even remotely close to the number of places I'd hoped to reach by water.

Her question is, of the limited remaining time we have left, would I rather double, or cut in half, the number of destinations and harbors reached?

$6/gal fuel is VERY painful to the size of our wallets. But, the Admiral's other point is, we can't take it with us. Might as well spend some of it going places by boat.

Understood, personally felt and agreed! Tic Tock... Tic Tock... Tic... ti.. t ... .. .! LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom