Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spotted in Beaufort, NC last weekend. Hope someone can identify.

Attachments

• Art Deco Yacht.jpg
    Art Deco Yacht.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 47
I'm not sure but I think it is a big, expensive boat.

:dance::D

Unsettling sign of the times... I feel I should share - on this "Interesting Boats" thread.

Today we cruised our Tolly 80 +/- miles; Stockton CA [in SF Delta] to San Rafael [in SF Bay].

Even though it was beautiful weather and even though it was a new national holiday [Juneteenth]... during our very pleasant 8 hour cruise we saw only one [1] other pleasure boat on the water - - - for the entire freaking day!!!

One [1] power boat [other than ours] was to be seen in 80 miles of cruising SF Delta and SF Bay areas, during a beautifully sunny and calm water condition June 20th 2022 day.

That my friends is sadly interesting - and - truly a sign of the times I feel need to share!!

:facepalm: :nonono: :eek:

Actually the holiday was Sunday. Many private sector people were working Monday. Also, many people only boat one day of a holiday weekend. Maybe Saturday or Sunday was nicer. Then again, maybe they saw you coming...... :rolleyes:

Ted

Plenty of us didn't get the Monday holiday for this one. Friends in public sector and banking jobs did, but many of us in the private sector didn't. There are certain holidays almost everyone gets, but the rest vary by company and how they fill out their holiday calendar.

Art, what a wonderful experience, being on a major waterway in California and feeling like you were cruising a hundred years ago

Art, what a wonderful experience, being on a major waterway in California and feeling like you were cruising a hundred years ago

Well, yeah... that's true! And, I've got to say... three of us had a most wonderful, wonderful time... simply cruising-along, unencumbered by other pleasure boats all day long!

Being that we started out with two topped off [100 gal each] gas tanks [and that I have a 99% accurate way to tell fuel level in tanks] it will be interesting to see what fuel consumption was. Now that boat is docked just 12 miles away [instead of 100 miles away in the delta] I plan to soon check fuel levels... my foolproof method takes a couple minutes to determine exact level in each tank. Multiplication of 4 gals per inch liquid = gals in tank.

For our cruise: We'd planned to "ride the tide". Currents were in our favor for vast majority of the way. In a slack water slough as we left Stockton dock... I placed our sweet running twins in sync for doing GPS OTG speed at an efficient 7 knots [7.58 is calced hull speed for our Tolly]. From that point on she cruised that speed for very a few minutes and soon began to accelerate OTG by riding the outflow current. 1/2 to over 3/4 way into the trip OTG speed read up to 10.8 knots as we watched boiling wakes flowing off buoy and marker poles we passed. Then, as we got toward end of the straights coming into SF Bay the beginnings of incoming tide eventually slowed our OTG speed to around 6.5 knots. So... all in all - having been almost exactly 9 hours in transit [dock to dock] and I figure averaging 9 +/- GPS OTG knots, would = 81 +/- OTG miles traveled. That's my story - and - I'm sticken with it!!

Belching factories of Chevron fuel giant along the way brought us back to reality of this being 2022; not 1922, of 100 yrs. ago! And, the 700' +/- tanker ship that came up on our stern in the straights entering SF Bay was a wonder to behold as it passed us [I pulled aside to let her by]... she was churning mud in a 45' deep channel!]. Shortly thereafter we encountered what looked like an considerably old survey vessel that was a couple hundred feet long. Privately owned?? That craft slipped in from our stbd side and stayed ahead of us... just before we pulled into the long, narrow and shallow channel that leads into San Rafael canal.

Gotta figure we passed enough marinas to amount to at least a couple thousand [maybe several thousand??] docked boats. Yet... in a full day of cruising there was only our Tolly and one other power pleasure-boat to be seen out on the water. We did see a few small tugs, two small sail boats and a few jet skies; as well as two fast outboard fisher boats and two kayak fishers.

Sign of the times??? :speed boat: :hide: :whistling:

Last edited:
Hmm, I was hoping you'd say you passed some natives in dugout canoes. Oh well, I guess it's not 1922 after all.

Good to see Chevron is refining fuel for us. Ha

This is my kind of meat and potatoes boat. Stand up engine room, drill press, bench grinder, welder, oh yeah! I’d spend the next couple years beautifying it. Of course, I didn’t see anything about the draft but it’s probably too deep for around here.

Sadly, at the Silva Bay Marina docks presently, this one looks pretty rough on the exterior.

Always thought highly about the Vega. I prefer sans the flybridge, one of most balanced looking vessels ever, rugged & efficient.

I think I found my dream yacht. Ten hours of cruising on two hours of genset time?

Last edited:
OK, let me clarify "dream yacht": steel or aluminum hull, series hybrid electric power train, ocean crossing, loads of solar on the pilothouse roof, large enough to live aboard comfortably, but small enough that two people can handle it.

OK, let me clarify "dream yacht": steel or aluminum hull, series hybrid electric power train, ocean crossing, loads of solar on the pilothouse roof, large enough to live aboard comfortably, but small enough that two people can handle it.

Works for me as well if the $$ worked.
But with all the noise about insurance companies and non insuring of lithium I'd have concerns

No way I would ever have large lithium ion on board which it seems these use.

Lifepo4, not a problem.

Last edited:
Looks interesting, but a tad big for my area... and a lot of info missing. I'm not the guy to buy the "first" of anything... I'll let someone else work out the bugs, and there's always bugs.

However, like the design, but wonder how well it would single hand?

Don't like the Volvo generator, but suspect there's an option.

Seems like Volvo is a common solution for OEM boats... they must be paying the builders to take them. No one likes them.

Back to the electric... seems like not quite enough power, but who knows.

Greetings,
Mr. S. "...they must be paying the builders to take them." From what I've heard (pure hearsay), Volvo does not charge the builder for the motor(s) until the boat they're installed in is sold. Meaning, to me at least, the builder has no real investment in the power plant, at all.

Greetings,
Mr. S. "...they must be paying the builders to take them." From what I've heard (pure hearsay), Volvo does not charge the builder for the motor(s) until the boat they're installed in is sold. Meaning, to me at least, the builder has no real investment in the power plant, at all.

That's how my const. co "sells" smallish [a few K to $20K +/-] construction projects... no installation-payment required till job completed. Works well to get homeowners and small businesses to be customers. Often additional projects requested too. Just last week installed a beautiful redwood gated arbor for Nancy... that's my 4th completed project for her in 15 years. I can pretty much suss out if a person will pay or not; before agreeing to perform work. Over the years... There are several I've bid good-day to before becoming entrenched.

Seeing as my company always performs well completed buildouts my customers have no problem paying up. Over many years... the few who have not paid because they simply tried to be A-holes had to deal directly with me... and... that's not fun! :dance:

Attachments

• Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Very nice. I question the "ocean crossing" thing, for a few reasons. But otherwise it seems like a great design.

Back
Top Bottom