Old 06-25-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
I've been thinking about this too. Did you consider a Whaly Boat?

https://www.whaly.com

I'd be interested to hear why you chose the PolyCraft over a Whaly Boat.

Tough call between the two. My read was that one can't go far wrong with either. And, if this one disappoints, I'll sell it to get a Whaly. Short shaft works on both.

So what tipped the scales?
1) I'd have been fine with either.
2) I was able to get aboard a Polycraft but only see a Whaly on the hard. My comparison is imperfect.
3) For similar length, similar weight.
4) The Whaly has more load capacity. Significant difference. Which led me down the path of looking hard at WHY? The Whaly has more V in the hull which adds to total buoyancy but shifts it to the centerline. One can call the Polycraft a trimaran, or a flat bottom with some channels for water flow. Either way, it just seemed that as stable as the Whaly is reputed to be, the Polycraft would have the edge. For my use, the number of times I might want more than 3 adults aboard will be quite rare. Stability being my #1 criteria to make my wife happy, if carrying 4 adults was more of a priority its the Whaly that would get the nod.
5) Not a big deal but Polycraft has the edge for storage lockers to store stuff like a dingy anchor, flashlights, etc. More than the Whaly.
6) My wife thought the Polycraft was a better looking boat. Keeping her happy with this fulfills a goal.

I asked the NJ Polycraft dealer why he stopped carrying the Whaly. He said he was seeing some returns of the smaller models because owners could not get them to plane. He didn't like dealing with returns. I don't plan to plane, but, many probably do, so I'll throw this out there as an item to verify as to how true it is, and whether it was more a case of owners trying to under-power them. I didn't pursue it further.

Lastly, I'll point out there are comments out there on both boats, that if you do put a lot of engine on them to plane, the transoms are not stiff enough on either boat. You need to plan to beef them up with stainless plate or something similar. Not relevant to me with the ePropulsion I'll be using.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote