Old 06-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #92
Mambo42
Guru

City: Curacao
Vessel Name: Endless Summer
Vessel Model: 1979 Defever 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
I’ve learned to not trust anyone except myself. Even when I’m gone and dependent upon yacht management I don’t want them to have to scramble if shore power goes down. Perhaps in your situation it may not be possible to be shore power independent. But will say it was a new world and much lower stress being so. Especially when I wasn’t on the boat for significant periods of time.

@ Hippocampus, I now learned that as well the hard way, expensive lesson. No work done on my boat anymore when I am not there. And indeed don't assume that people will do something just because they say they will do it.

Being almost 13.000 km away from the boat at this moment does not help of course.
But when we left at the beginning of June I closed all the sea cocks, so no water can come in anymore. I disconnected all my start batteries and batteries for the stern thruster and pasarelle. Only batteries still connected is the house bank (which is destroyed anyway) and the battery for the bilge pump. Solar power will charge them and shore power is disonnected.

Just a few days ago I called my neighbor, who lives on board his sailing vessel, and asked him if he could check battery status and bilge status. Everything is fine according to him, so in about a month he will check again. But not a single person of this marina will ever set foot on my boat anymore, I don't want any more damage.

So I fully agree with your approach, it is the only way to make sure your boat stays the way it is.