Boatdiesel vs. SBMAR Forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwarden

Guru
Vessel Name
North Star
Vessel Make
Lindell 36
I've been a member of Boatdiesel for a couple years but recently did not re-subscribe. It seems to me that the help on that site isn't as "helpful" as before. It appears that Tony's site SBMAR which has a free forum is equally helpful if not more so and it looks like folks are switching over to that forum. I've found SBMAR as a supplier to be pretty good with reasonable prices and fast shipping so happy to support the company who provides such good technical assistance free of charge.
Has anyone else noticed this about boatdiesel.com? I know sometimes Tony is on this forum so if he can provide some color on this that would be great.

I also let my BoatDiesel subscription lapse. Sbmar (Tony's site) is where I have been going the past couple years for my Cummins questions. Tony, or one of his guys will often chime in on their forum and they are all very sharp.

IS this a Cummins issue at Boatdiesel.com since the only forum I see at sbmar.com is for Cummins? Sorry to see that Boatdiesel.com is maybe slipping aside for any engine as I have and continue to get help there and contribute when I can on the Ford-Lehman and Yanmar sub-forums.

Last edited:
Sbmar is certainly focused on Cummins engines, but not exclusively. You can get help there on Yanmar, Volvos, Lehmans, etc. But is Boatdiesel better for those engines, maybe.

What is really a shame is the split from boatdiesel that Tony Athens made a number of years ago and started the Sbmar forum. I would prefer a single forum for all but that ain't gonna happen.

David

SBMar is primarily Cummins. But it is good Cummins info.

Sbmar is certainly focused on Cummins engines, but not exclusively. You can get help there on Yanmar, Volvos, Lehmans, etc. But is Boatdiesel better for those engines, maybe.

What is really a shame is the split from boatdiesel that Tony Athens made a number of years ago and started the Sbmar forum. I would prefer a single forum for all but that ain't gonna happen.

David

There is a certain “critical mass” that any forum needs to reach to be successful. BoatDiesel has that, and it’s a shame that Tony and the other guy saw different directions. Time will tell if SBMAr reaches critical mass beyond Cummins.

I love SBMAR.com but also BoatDiesel is good for pulling up technical information in their manuals and downloads section.

I have also let my boatdiesel.com membership lapse. As noted, much was lost when Tony Athens split off.

I wonder if the people who control BoatDiesel ever visit any other internet forum? It still has the feel of a 90's vintage site. Like a crowded big box store with low prices, I get in an out as fast a possible.

I quit boatdiesel shortly after Tony left.
The thing I miss is playing with the calculators.

I've been a memeber of boat diesel for over 20 years. IMHO Tony was by far the most knowledgeable contibuter when he was on there. I have older Cats so I'm still a member and for the basic membership fee, can't remember if it's $25 or $30, just one bit of information I pick up is well worth the cost. I don't think I can pull out of the slip and back in for less than $25 with fuel prices what they are. It does bother me that they cut access to certain features for lesser paying members, but oh well, got to suck it up. If I have to re-engine, I'm heading towards San Diego with a pick-up though.

I agree, I'm running early 80s Cat 3208s coupled to Twin Disc MG-502 and an older Onan gen. The info and help I get there is well worth the price of admission.
I've been a memeber of boat diesel for over 20 years. IMHO Tony was by far the most knowledgeable contibuter when he was on there. I have older Cats so I'm still a member and for the basic membership fee, can't remember if it's $25 or $30, just one bit of information I pick up is well worth the cost. I don't think I can pull out of the slip and back in for less than $25 with fuel prices what they are. It does bother me that they cut access to certain features for lesser paying members, but oh well, got to suck it up. If I have to re-engine, I'm heading towards San Diego with a pick-up though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom