Electric drive/ Current costs and available tech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Socal_Cecil

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
No Hurries
Vessel Make
78 CHB 33.5'
This is to discuss electric drive costs. Please avoid referring to policy or moral related discussion.

I'll attach an actual charging pic for my car. I'm in California so have higher gas prices than most. It is vastly cheaper. I think the higher up front cost should justify a longer loan term since the batteries already have 8 year warranties and you'll save a couple hundred a month give or take on fuel costs.

My marina currently has free electricity so I'm really tempted to add a couple pod drive units which will let me do short term all electric and then charge me when I'm underway on diesel or at anchor.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-091657.jpg
    Screenshot_20220613-091657.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 38
Cecil, so to understand, you want to have electric-only propulsion and remove your diesel main (I assume you have a single)?

I would think it more practical to propel via your existing drive line instead of adding two pods on either side. Go for diesel-electric propulsion with an ample battery bank of say 50-70kWh. That way you could easily fit a 30kW propulsion motor, driven by a single large generator, to cruise at a comfortable 5-6 knots. But when running on your lithium bank, you could reduce down to 3-4 knots and have many hours of operation.

You could source your batteries, controller a small electric car motor of 48VDC or 96VDC, via Alibaba or similar. Would save a ton of money compared to buying American marine retail equipment.

Sounds like a fun project, go for it!

I think a solution like the oceanvolt AX would be simpler and cheaper than pods, which add underwater hardware.

When you consider this, it's important to understand the difference in physics between moving a car and moving a boat, as it greatly impacts the power requirements and expected performance.

Moving a car takes a bunch of energy over a short time to bring it up to speed, very little energy to maintain speed, and an opportunity to recapture energy (regeneration) when slowing back down. There are a bunch of variable, but that's the basic cycle and principal.

A boat is very different. Moving a boat takes constant, continuous energy, and a lot of it. There is no "coasting" at cruise speed, and certainly no recapturing of energy. As a result, it takes much, much more stored energy to move a cruising boat in any sort of typical use vs running a car in typical use.

To put some rough numbers around it, it takes 15hp or so to maintain 60 mph in a car, yet your boat takes about 30hp to maintain 7 kts. So to travel 10nm it takes about 3hp-hrs of energy to move your car, and 42hp-hrs to move your boat the same distance. So over 10x the energy to travel the same distance, not considering the time to travel that distance.

You also need to consider recharge time in the context of commonly available shore power connections. A 3 hr cruise in your boat at 7 kts will consume about 100kWh of electric power. To replenish that from a 50A/240V shore cord will take about 10 hrs running at 90% load. A 30A/120V cord will take over 30 hrs. And that's just to recover from a 3 hrs cruise.

To deal with this, where electric propulsion provides acceptable results is for moving short distances, at slow speeds (e.g. sub 4-5 kts), hopping between docks with good power available. In another thread a Greenline owner described doing just this in the European canal system, and it sounds like a great fit. Commercial applications have been with short haul ferries, and have included huge terminal infrastructure for recharging in the available time between departures. Also puttering about the harbor in small day boats, including rentals.

I'm sure electric boat applications will continue to evolve and grow, but it's a very different problem to solve vs cars. For better or worse, a lot of boat and boat equipment manufacturers market to the perception/assumption that what's good for cars must also be good for boats.

Personally I think the real opportunity on boats is with a hybrid house power system. Big batteries, big inverters, big alternator, and a generator with auto-start works really well. We have house power with little to no load management 24x7. If we are anchored at night and underway every day, we never run a generator. And if we are anchored for multiple days as we are now, the generator kicks in once a day for 2-3 hrs and it's done. Add solar and you can further reduce or eliminate the generator run time.

Thank you for your input TwistedTree.

There seems to be a "sweet spot" when it comes to current tech and current prices for things like solar, lithium batts etc. We are also looking at WingIt kite systems as options to extend range.

Our last "off-grid" experiment was on our 2018 44.5 Toy Hauler where we added solar for our day to day activities. We were not under load and making way. So some of my data will spill over onto our next trawler, using alt propulsion will be different. Figuring solar for daily use on the hook will be pretty straight forward, I would hope.

This is a medium term goal so still tracking the tech more than anything.

My 34ft trawler should have a hull speed around 7knts. To get that I need 17.5hp(13kw) of thrust for my 10 tons. If I drop it down to 5knts it should take 7.5hp(5.5kw). That's actually not that hard to get a generator for not to mention a 25v/200ah victron battery could go for 1 hrs. Add on 3kw of solar and 1 kw of wind and your almost covering the propulsion. Then you would still want the generator for loads like ac and refrigeration and when cloudy. I would likely want 2 10kw motors wherever they are mounted to ensure enough power for dirty hulls, strong currents, and wind along with inefficiencies.

A large part of the savings switching to electric comes from reduced maintenance. With dual pods I could greatly increase the maneuvering in tight spaces, reduce driveline inefficiencies and maintenance, have redundancy, and also have some hydrogeneration when on the hook. I would be able to reduce or remove the rudder and remove the shaft. I do acknowledge the increased liability of underwater hardware and have also looked at electric outboards that can be raised when not in use. They also would need no underwater through hulls( power cables through the transom). It would take away from the swim step space which is hard enough to climb onto in scuba gear. My favorites are here.

https://rimdrivetechnology.nl/product/pr212-outboard-m-t/?lang=en
https://rimdrivetechnology.nl/product/az212-m-48v-pro/?lang=en

If I kept the Lehman I could hook up a couple of high output alternators. These are actually 5kw. Keeping the Lehman would be more for ballast and nostalgia. A modern DC output generator would be far more efficient. More room in the bilge is more room for stuff.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/balmar--100-amp-48-volt-96-series-alternator--20245189

I worry about the Alibaba batteries. I hear the chemistries aren't always what they should be and the US sourced ones(likely also made in china) have battery management systems built into them that I trust more. I would like to move toward a victron boat slowly. If I went cheap it would be with used EV batteries. I would still need to add on a bms but at least I know the cells are road rated.

Cecil, so to understand, you want to have electric-only propulsion and remove your diesel main (I assume you have a single)?

I would think it more practical to propel via your existing drive line instead of adding two pods on either side. Go for diesel-electric propulsion with an ample battery bank of say 50-70kWh. That way you could easily fit a 30kW propulsion motor, driven by a single large generator, to cruise at a comfortable 5-6 knots. But when running on your lithium bank, you could reduce down to 3-4 knots and have many hours of operation.

You could source your batteries, controller a small electric car motor of 48VDC or 96VDC, via Alibaba or similar. Would save a ton of money compared to buying American marine retail equipment.

Sounds like a fun project, go for it!

Cecil, my impression is that this is a great experiment for you. That's wonderful. But still, as a test bed and for just foolin'-around, I wouldn't want to blow cash on those extremely overblown "marine" systems.

My advice: store your Lehman away in the corner of your garage, put your hybrid drive system together as cheaply as possible, learn a ton from it all, and then when you're ready to move onto the next boat with better-defined systems, replace the diesel, remove the electric stuff, and sell the boat off.

This is a medium term goal so still tracking the tech more than anything.

My 34ft trawler should have a hull speed around 7knts. To get that I need 17.5hp(13kw) of thrust for my 10 tons. If I drop it down to 5knts it should take 7.5hp(5.5kw).

I'm not sure where you got these numbers, but I got about twice that using the kiwiprops calculator.

Cecil, my impression is that this is a great experiment for you. That's wonderful. But still, as a test bed and for just foolin'-around, I wouldn't want to blow cash on those extremely overblown "marine" systems.

My advice: store your Lehman away in the corner of your garage, put your hybrid drive system together as cheaply as possible, learn a ton from it all, and then when you're ready to move onto the next boat with better-defined systems, replace the diesel, remove the electric stuff, and sell the boat off.

I'm an engineer. I like projects technology, and efficiency. I suspect if you don't like projects boating could become expensive and tiring very quickly. And yes, Everything I'm looking at is fairly easy to install and remove (battery, motors, inverter, charger).

I don't see the Lehman leaving the bilge either. I'm worried about removing too much weight below the waterline with all the weight I have above it. (1000 lbs engine, 2000lbs diesel, probably another 500lbs in steel tanks). That's a reason I like the idea of getting it to be my DC generator.

There seems to be a "sweet spot" when it comes to current tech and current prices for things like solar, lithium batts etc. We are also looking at WingIt kite systems as options to extend range.

Have you reached out to wingit yet? I looked at their site but don't think I have space or a secure enough mount for it on the bow. I suspect it's putting a lot of force onto whatever it's hooked to.

I reached out to wing it, based on Dan's boat, a 48 foot Seaton, the WingIt folks said you'd get 5 knots out of their kite BUT, you'd have to remove that foward stay.

Here is their response to installling a kite onto a 48 foot 75k lbs. trawler.

HI,
I would be possible but it is not that easy to handle the lines with the forestay mounted and the performance will be only around 5 knots with the kite sail.

I attached a brochure with the price list for you.

PLease let me know, when you need more details.
Best regards
Stephan

Wingit Sportartikelvertrieb UG Zur Wetterwarte 60 01109 Dresden Germany

End of Message.

Mark

They make it sound like 5 knots is bad. I'd take 5 knots plus spooling up the diesel to 1000rpm to make maybe 7 or 8 knots? That is $ back into the pocket if you are cruising the boat. If you are at the marina, not worth it at all.

Some short passages we plan on making in the Carib are already making me cringe. I missed the days of a dollar a gallon, I was in college during those days. This is why I like these conversations with all of you guys. It's thinking outside the box that pushes innovation.

On another note, there has to be an answer for all the trawler and diesel owners out there when things get worse. There has to be a re-power option that is more cookie cutter where one can R+R (remove and replace) the ole workhorse with something more cost effective. Down the road, sure, but I want to think ahead.

Cecil, with respect to "not seeing the Lehman leave the boat", I can remedy that lost weight at the water line with my wife's shoes! That alone will even the water line again!

I hear 5 knts and wonder how much hydrogeneration I can get on top of it. Besides, if you have a displacement hull you aren't in a hurry anyways, whats another day to get there.

I have the other thread on HPR diesel. I think it's going to put a cap on prices as they ramp up. It's already cheaper out here in Cali. It's based on biomass from what I read so should be more stable. If you sit down and run the numbers I imagine your saving more not being able to spend money while crossing than your spending on the gas. Those shoe purchases add up. Just don't get internet or amazon will have boxes waiting for you at the dock when you get there.

They make it sound like 5 knots is bad. I'd take 5 knots plus spooling up the diesel to 1000rpm to make maybe 7 or 8 knots? That is $ back into the pocket if you are cruising the boat. If you are at the marina, not worth it at all.

Some short passages we plan on making in the Carib are already making me cringe. I missed the days of a dollar a gallon, I was in college during those days. This is why I like these conversations with all of you guys. It's thinking outside the box that pushes innovation.

On another note, there has to be an answer for all the trawler and diesel owners out there when things get worse. There has to be a re-power option that is more cookie cutter where one can R+R (remove and replace) the ole workhorse with something more cost effective. Down the road, sure, but I want to think ahead.

Cecil, with respect to "not seeing the Lehman leave the boat", I can remedy that lost weight at the water line with my wife's shoes! That alone will even the water line again!

The hyrbird (diesel electric) combos that are being sold now on some trawler and cats such as the new HH44 have both engine and motor on the shaft.

Just throwing this subject out there. Like some of the get home contraptions I've seen, wonder if it is possible to have a chain or belt system engage/disengage an electric motor that is mounted next to the diesel?

I'm sure this brings up the whole running the transmission unit while the diesel is off business. Well, just thinking out loud.

Quote from rimdrivetechnology.nl

Cecil - I’m close to commissioning an all-electric 5ton34ft powercat trawler in the U.K.. RDT are among several manufacturers whose motors I’m considering (the other are Vetus E-Pod, SeaDrive and ePropulsion). RDT sent me a quote for their 11kW thruster model (twin set, with or without azimuth swivels, to include all controls as well as 5 x 9.8kWh 48V LiFePO batteries) - €42,500 vs. €35,250 respectively. The batteries are €3,295 each/€16,475 for 5. Obviously shipping across the pond would generate additional charges.

Cecil - I’m close to commissioning an all-electric 5ton34ft powercat trawler in the U.K.. RDT are among several manufacturers whose motors I’m considering (the other are Vetus E-Pod, SeaDrive and ePropulsion). RDT sent me a quote for their 11kW thruster model (twin set, with or without azimuth swivels, to include all controls as well as 5 x 9.8kWh 48V LiFePO batteries) - €42,500 vs. €35,250 respectively. The batteries are €3,295 each/€16,475 for 5. Obviously shipping across the pond would generate additional charges.

I’d be real interested to hear more about your boat, the power system, expected performance, and of course actual performance once it’s in use.

You say you are about to commission, but are still selecting the power plant? I guess I’m confused by the timing of everything?

I reached out to wing it, based on Dan's boat, a 48 foot Seaton, the WingIt folks said you'd get 5 knots out of their kite BUT, you'd have to remove that foward stay.

Here is their response to installling a kite onto a 48 foot 75k lbs. trawler.

HI,
I would be possible but it is not that easy to handle the lines with the forestay mounted and the performance will be only around 5 knots with the kite sail.

I attached a brochure with the price list for you.

PLease let me know, when you need more details.
Best regards
Stephan

Wingit Sportartikelvertrieb UG Zur Wetterwarte 60 01109 Dresden Germany

End of Message.

Mark

Interesting, wondering if this could be, at a minimum, an emergency get home option for those who do not have secondary propulsion.

Can you share the pricing?

TwistedTree - indeed the time sequence is unusual. We are buying a boat (Broadblue 346) designed as a sailing cat with much of the extras off an options list but WITHOUT A MAST OR SAILS. The build slot is agreed (starting in August) and there will be a second ‘flexi’ contract covering the installations not on the standard options list - electric propulsion, battery banks & power management systems, solar and wind turbines, etc. plus the installation work. The precise items (brands/model lines) remain as yet to be finalised.

The end product will be a fossil fuel free trawler that should reach 8 knots with twin 6-11kW pod motors and have around 3.5kWp solar plus a similar wind turbine power generating capacity, providing for unlimited range at 3.5 knots as well as all electric house loads. Being quite a compact boat, we will have composting heads and be able to reallocate both diesel and black water tank space to other purposes. Our dinghy tender will likewise be solar electric. Powerboat & RIB (PBR) magazine will be running several features on the project.

I have an as yet unlaunched 55 lightweight composite cat back at the dirt house
Engines shafts and rudders in just the fitout, paint and windows to go so a long way yet.

I toyed with the idea if we get back into it (now that battery has come down so much in price) of building a frame of ally tube and covering the entire boat in 2nd hand panels, building a big LFP bank and strapping big electric motors to the shafts keeping one of the engines as Genset, probably 50kva.

Poor (or smart) man's version of a Silent 55 at considerably less expense.

But, still considerably more expense than just running the two diesels.
And very likely weigh more than the engine and fuel option.

Last edited:
TwistedTree - indeed the time sequence is unusual. We are buying a boat (Broadblue 346) designed as a sailing cat with much of the extras off an options list but WITHOUT A MAST OR SAILS. The build slot is agreed (starting in August) and there will be a second ‘flexi’ contract covering the installations not on the standard options list - electric propulsion, battery banks & power management systems, solar and wind turbines, etc. plus the installation work. The precise items (brands/model lines) remain as yet to be finalised.

The end product will be a fossil fuel free trawler that should reach 8 knots with twin 6-11kW pod motors and have around 3.5kWp solar plus a similar wind turbine power generating capacity, providing for unlimited range at 3.5 knots as well as all electric house loads. Being quite a compact boat, we will have composting heads and be able to reallocate both diesel and black water tank space to other purposes. Our dinghy tender will likewise be solar electric. Powerboat & RIB (PBR) magazine will be running several features on the project.

I'm very interested to follow along. Any chance you are writing a blog or Vlog? Or perhaps you could start a thread here on trawler forum to chronicle the build?

Congrats, you must be excited.

Seems like really good pricing on the batteries. Is it just a bunch of cells in a box or is it an enclosure more like an electric car battery?

There are a bunch of good choices out there now. Having it all from one place would be nice for warranty too. I would likely do mine piece mail as I need a new project to keep busy with though.

Did you look at inboards too or just pods? I hadn't seen the Seadrives before. They look great but I wonder how the bronze would age. I would worry about my tolerances changing.

If you start a build thread share a link.

If people are looking for resources, EVWest has some good motor kits. For slow boats, a 48V, 20 kW motor should do the trick. For speeds up in the 8 kt range, more kW are needed, which involves either a larger motor (physically) or higher pressures (Voltage). But still, 50 kW is probably overkill for full-displacement hulls in sizes under 50' (a guess on my part).

The kits include almost everything you'd need to re-power a boat except batteries and an inverter (though I'm a little unclear whether or not the included controller manages the inverter function as well). They start at ~$2500 for the 48V/20kW system.

https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=8&osCsid=59630bd6702c4172699409826cd7f1ef

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom