Looking for Boat Encyclopedia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBoy

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1982 Albin 40 DC
I’m looking for a good sailboat and trawler encyclopedia. One where I can learn to identify all different kinds of vessels, their make/manufacture, build quality, amenities, etc. Specifically one that could date back to older boats. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Greetings,
Mr. SB. I agree with Ms. J BUT keep in mind the PBG covers about a 20 year span so if you're looking for a boat from, say, the 1990's a 2022 edition of the PBG will only go back to 2002 and you will have to find a 2010 edition of PBG.

I did just that this past winter. I found a new 2010 edition for sale on line (Amazon possibly?).

Fantastic. This is a great lead. Thank you two

I have a 2020 Brokers Edition on PDF. Can someone please give me a ruling if it is ok for me to pass a PBG pdf along? Looking to be helpful, but also looking to stay within legal and moral boundaries.

I have a 2020 Brokers Edition on PDF. Can someone please give me a ruling if it is ok for me to pass a PBG pdf along? Looking to be helpful, but also looking to stay within legal and moral boundaries.

My vote is being helpful in this case is both legal and moral.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!!

I just put in a call to my maritime attorney to ask the question on legality. Whoops, he's on this Forum so that needs to include the question of ethics also. Will let you know when I hear further.

I am sure that it would be copyrighted. What you do offline is up to you but please don’t post it here.

I am so sorry to have put out what now appears to be a teaser. My maritime attorney
sent me a copy of the page in his copy of PBG that is pretty serious about "no parts..may be reproduced or transmitted in any form..."

Unfortunately in my eagerness to be helpful, I may have only brought disappointment. To try to compensate, if anyone needs information on a particular boat, I would be glad to read what it says. Meanwhile, PBG is a nice book to have on your bookshelf. I like mine on the computer and so maybe the publisher offers that now, or perhaps ask them how to obtain a Broker's Edition.

I am so sorry to have put out what now appears to be a teaser. My maritime attorney
sent me a copy of the page in his copy of PBG that is pretty serious about "no parts..may be reproduced or transmitted in any form..."

Unfortunately in my eagerness to be helpful, I may have only brought disappointment. To try to compensate, if anyone needs information on a particular boat, I would be glad to read what it says. Meanwhile, PBG is a nice book to have on your bookshelf. I like mine on the computer and so maybe the publisher offers that now, or perhaps ask them how to obtain a Broker's Edition.

Any reason interested parties cant just buy their own legitimate copy? I think that would be the "legal and moral" thing to do.

Unfortunately that is the legal stance. A lot of brokers use excerpts or the entire wording from PBG in their for sale ads. That is wrong also. I buy a copy every 10 years or so just to see what it says about my next 3 or 4 boats, oh right, I am on my last boat now so I won’t need to buy another copy…

Meanwhile, PBG is a nice book to have on your bookshelf. I like mine on the computer and so maybe the publisher offers that now, or perhaps ask them how to obtain a Broker's Edition.

Yep, available in PDF.

Any reason interested parties cant just buy their own legitimate copy? I think that would be the "legal and moral" thing to do.

Yep, easy, on the PBG website.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom