Stuck in Annapolis ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello again, well we were on our way, little by little, up the East coast pretty much enjoying our trip. The fuel cost were a concern of course but I wasn't going to let that stop us. Well the admiral somehow injured her rotator cuff, we think, and it wasn't getting any better so she had to go back to Savannah area to have an MRI and soforth..not sure when she will return so..

I am at anchor now and will stay as long as i can but will eventually need to visit a marina for water etc.. Our budget doesn't work with marinas in the Annapolis area at $2.50 to $3 a foot.

Can anyone offer suggestions for low cost, no frills marinas in the area?

Thank for your comments..

(Being stuck in Annapolis isn't really all that bad its just expensive for sure.)

Don't know about Annapolis specifically but most places give a better rate if by the week or month than one day at a time. When we were stuck on anchor in Stuart this winter, we made a once a week trip to a municipal marina to take on some fuel, water, ice, get rid of the trash and pay for a pumpout.

I would make the short trip south to the rhode river, very nice anchorage and a couple small marinas to dinghy into and uber out for supplies. I don't live too far away and would be willing to take you one a grocery or supply/dr visit run.

Another good options is to anchor in Back creek, which puts you in Eastport area of Annapolis. Annapolis is really good about having dinghy docks.

Last edited:
Yes, thank you sir,,,I am anchored south by the Quiet Waters Park, Harness Creek, weather is nice and since the boss is gone I dont get the stink eye if we dont run the genny....ha. I used the folding bike today to run up to the store for some chow,...oh and browsed in the Fawcett Marine store....wow,,nice place

There are a number of marinas on Kent Island and in Kent Narrows that are considerably less expensive than Annapolis. You won't have the city amenities, but there is a West Marine, a couple of supermarkets and a number of restaurants on Kent Island.

Yes, thank you sir,,,I am anchored south by the Quiet Waters Park, Harness Creek, weather is nice and since the boss is gone I dont get the stink eye if we dont run the genny....ha. I used the folding bike today to run up to the store for some chow,...oh and browsed in the Fawcett Marine store....wow,,nice place

You're in a decent anchorage, and you've got shopping nearby -- grocery just further up the street from Fawcett's, etc. -- so you're probably in as good a place as any for saving buck$.

There are marinas on the South River for fuel and pump-out, but none of those are particularly any better for supplies. Liberty Marina and a couple others are upriver at the north side of the bridge, Pocahantas is sort of across the river from you (not sure of their facilities), and there are three in Selby Bay -- at least two of which have pump out and fuel (Anchor Yacht Basin and Selby Bay Marina, latter less expensive for pump-outs I think). Pier 7 is upriver south side at the bridge, but I dunno if they do transients.

The Rhode River and Galesville (West River) anchorages are both nice, but the accessible marinas on either don't offer much improvement over any of those on the South River. And those on the South River -- especially Pocahantas Creek or the Selby Bay area -- mostly aren't near much at all. Some groceries and other miscellaneous shopping within bicycle distance of Liberty... and all that stuff would be slightly easier from Pier 7 (if they take transients).

OTOH, if you need to actually berth in a marina for overnights, probably almost everywhere on the South, Rhode, and West Rivers will be less expensive than almost everywhere in Spa Creek (Annapolis) or Back Creek (Eastport).

I'm semi-nearby, other side of the river from where you are; PM me if you need something specific and I'll see what we can work out. I'm sort of in the middle of several "fix it" (I hope) projects, but it won't hurt me to interrupt the pain from doing those!

-Chris

Last edited:
Second @nussbda's suggestion of Kent Island (Stevensville). More options and less expensive.

One of our favorite places was Kentmorr Harbor. It's a very low-key, casual, unpretentious marina that's half fishing boats. It has a fun beach bar and beach area, and the restaurant at the marina has some of the best crab cakes on the bay (and homemade banana cream and coconut cream pies that can't be missed).

Annapolis moorings

Moorings in the Annapolis harbor are $35/nt or $210/ wk.
The water taxi to the dock is $4/person each way.
Right in the middle of all the excitement!

Look at Waterway Guide for the actual listings and facilities, but I have a couple of suggestions (I've lived in the Annapolis area all my life):

1. Smith's Marina, Crownsville, on the upper Severn. Family run, informal, shallow entrance and perhaps a limit on boat length, but a great low-cost option.
2. Kent Island, just across the Bay Bridge. The more expensive choices are clustered at Kent Narrows but there is a small boatyard on Crab Alley Creek -- I forget the name -- that is a possibility.
3. Podickory Point near the Bay Bridge.
4. South of South River, perhaps in Galesville.

Look for a monthly rate as another poster suggested. It will be much lower.

-- Tom Dove

I know you didn't ask this...
And I know you probably don't want to hear this...but I'll mention it anyway, since it could be useful information for long range planning.

In the early 90's, I injured my rotator cuff. Don't know how, but I think it was possibly at a driving range. It hurt so much that it was next to impossible to do simple things like put a shirt on or put a jacket on.

I had an MRI and that's how they confirmed it. Ibuprofen and elastic to chest to limit arm movements for awhile. It took many months for it to gradually improve. Perhaps a year before I could say the problem no longer existed.

Then...a few years later, putting a suitcase in the overhead bin in a plane started the problem all over again.

Over the years, I've learned to be careful with my left shoulder, but every now and then, a motion comes up that causes some pain to reappear. But, it has gone away within only a few weeks.

I mention this, because, I fear it could be a fairly long time before your wife can handle lines and push the boat around like before...and even then, she will need to be very careful. Maybe this means you will need to travel with a "third" in the crew for awhile.

Apologies to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but you have some difficult decisions to make and I am hoping this input could potentially be of some use.

Late reply but check out Magothy Marina in Severna Park. There are several marinas on the Magothy River that are probably cheaper than Annapolis.

I would suggest that you download DOCKWA to your phone or IPad to view most of the marinas in your location and their pricing.
good luck and I hope that the Admiral is okay.

If you are still on the South River, I would check out Liberty Marina.

Lots of good comments here. I live in ANP and drive the water taxis. I'd recommend going up inside the Spa Creek Bridge and anchoring. There are transient moorings but also enough room to anchor. Each street end has a public dock for dinghy or you can take it around to the end of Ego Alley. You're close to town, extremely protected water, can get a water taxi to anywhere in town, Harbor master on channel 17 will arrange for the pump out boat and there's lots going on - fun. If you need to fly home, I'd move it to one of the transient mooring balls. There is virtually always some available. If you're under 35' the balls just inside the bridge are $25/night. For larger boats further up the creek there are balls for $35/night. There are several free options the city runs for getting around town, once you're ashore.

I know you didn't ask this...
And I know you probably don't want to hear this...but I'll mention it anyway, since it could be useful information for long range planning.

In the early 90's, I injured my rotator cuff. Don't know how, but I think it was possibly at a driving range. It hurt so much that it was next to impossible to do simple things like put a shirt on or put a jacket on.

I had an MRI and that's how they confirmed it. Ibuprofen and elastic to chest to limit arm movements for awhile. It took many months for it to gradually improve. Perhaps a year before I could say the problem no longer existed.

Then...a few years later, putting a suitcase in the overhead bin in a plane started the problem all over again.

Over the years, I've learned to be careful with my left shoulder, but every now and then, a motion comes up that causes some pain to reappear. But, it has gone away within only a few weeks.

I mention this, because, I fear it could be a fairly long time before your wife can handle lines and push the boat around like before...and even then, she will need to be very careful. Maybe this means you will need to travel with a "third" in the crew for awhile.

Apologies to be the bearer of possibly bad news, but you have some difficult decisions to make and I am hoping this input could potentially be of some use.
I had damage to my shoulder a year ago and the orthopedic doc did a series of injections of fluid to lubricate the rotator cuff. I forget what the injection was called. It was done with ultrasound to guide the needle. It was like there were layers inside my shoulder that were binding against each other that needed lubrication. Hope this helps. Rob

I mention this, because, I fear it could be a fairly long time before your wife can handle lines and push the boat around like before...

Sounds like she is going to get proficient at the helm while you get more acquainted with the lines.

Back
Top Bottom