View Single Post
Old 06-18-2022, 04:17 PM   #2
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
I installed stabilizers and it took some time to complete. I plumbed the heat exchanger along with hydraulics first around February then the wiring for controls. i didnt get the bonding wire connected until a couple weeks ago . The heat ex changer is isolated and only connected by the hoses. I checked the zinc in the exchanger last week and it was shot.The engine zincs show normal wear.Is it possible that not having the bonding wire connected that it caused increased wear on the one zinc? I normally change every 6 months and they are about 50 percent.

Yes, they can be related.

No mounting brackets that could be electrically connecting the cooler to something else?

I've never checked this, but wonder if the hydraulic hoses could be conductive? The hoses are typically wire reinforced, and if the hose end crimps through to the wire.... Might be worth checking...

If fully electrically isolated, then the zincs in the cooler are only protecting the cooler, and doing their job.

For what it's worth, on my last two boats the hydraulic cooler zincs have always gone faster than others.

You could try bonding the cooler, and see if the zincs last appreciably longer.