Foul Weather Gear for the Great Loop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skiff Builder

Vessel Name
Change Of Pace
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Mk I
We are in need of new foul weather gear suited for the Great Loop. It's been 20 years since I last outfitted.
Looking for suggestions or advice.
Thanks in advance,
Skiff Builder

Don't you have an inside helm station? I'd say the need is minimal. YMMV, but I've looped in a sistership to yours, and don't think I ever got my foul weather gear fully deployed. It's a series of day trips. Foul weather is easily avoidable.

Depends on your definition of foul weather. My go to was always Grundens and xtra tuffs.
For just being on deck for a bit of rain I had my stormy seas pull over and Carhartt rain pants. For bad weather skiffing I had a mustang float suit.
Now I just go inside.

I can't speak to the loop (except for Florida's torrential rains), but my go-to is REI for high-quality, high-tech, durable, and easily packed outdoor clothing. A jacket with hood with large brim to work in rain is handy whether on a boat or caught out on a bike

I gave up on bright yellow Maine lobsterman bibs a long time ago

Peter

A good rain-proof jacket will cover a lot of the need. For the most part, you shouldn't only end up needing foulies for the occasional docking or lock in the rain (either unexpected rain or if you choose to go on one of those rainy but otherwise dead calm days).

Locking through the NY canal system on a rainy day would be a nice time to have a decent bib and jacket.

Sailing used a full set of Musto. But as mentioned ridiculous to spend that kind of money power and coastal so they remain on the boat but not used. Even west coastal stuff is overkill imho. Rather use breathable light weight REI jacket and pants. Wait for the sale.
If really wet then fly fishing in shoe waders and keen sandals. The keens are more non slip then any boat shoes I every had. Still have Dubarry boots from sailing. Again like Musto the best I ever had. I tell my admiral what I want for Bday and Xmas and she’s foolish enough to love me. Find now only outside briefly and more frequently in,out, in out. So easy on/off is more important. Getting out of bibs is a pain.

Last edited:
Locking through the NY canal system on a rainy day would be a nice time to have a decent bib and jacket.

I agree. I have done NJ to Kingston Ont 4 times now. 3 in multi day rain. I have multiple sets of the old standard yellow pvc bib/ jacket, looking for something better.

REI or other outfitters sounds good.
Thks

I like my carhartt rain pants because they have a full zipper on both legs so it’s easy on/off.

Thks Charlie. Sounds like a good feature to have.

I wanted to buy your boat, back when it was listed ay Liberty. Got called away for business and missed it! Sounds like it's doing well for you. Enjoy!

Thks Charlie. Sounds like a good feature to have.

I wanted to buy your boat, back when it was listed ay Liberty. Got called away for business and missed it! Sounds like it's doing well for you. Enjoy!

Thanks, we are liking it. It runs well enough to enjoy and has enough projects to keep us occupied. It’s giving us the education we wanted. ?

We use Frogg Toggs…simple, light weight, inexpensive, dries quickly. Jackets and pants (not bibs); pants are quite useful for rainy weather anchoring, boat washing, dinghy trips, etc. I am on my second set, and not the fancie$t of their offerings. First set was used on motorcycle and now in a work vehicle.

We also have Gil and West Marine “proper” raincoats. They get used mostly off the boat because of their high-visibility and useful storage pockets.

Finally, we use Mustang Catalyst float coats when it gets cold. Like the Frogg Toggs, its old gear that works for a long time. I had mine on yesterday while anchoring, yes June in the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Last edited:
I have been sailing in New England for many years. A set of Line 7 was a bullet proof necessity. (It’s still in good shape 35 years later) We did our first boat charter on the west coast of Florida and of course I brought my Line 7 gear. The fellow from the charter company looked at me and my gear, smiled, and said you’re going to like Florida. Leave that stuff in your car. :blush:

We are in need of new foul weather gear suited for the Great Loop. It's been 20 years since I last outfitted.
Looking for suggestions or advice.
Thanks in advance,
Skiff Builder

Wifey B: You're not still planning on looping this year are you? :confused:

Mainly need rain gear but if looping in March and April or after September, need some cold weather gear. I recommend cross country ski jackets you can find at places like Academy Sports with masks also found there. :)

I sold Lady Sue last fall and have two XL jackets; Henri Lloyd heavy duty, black/yellow trim, and North Peak unlined, yellow. Both hooded and in very good condition.
Jim Ferry 609-466-1462.

I have a job they requires prolonged outdoor exposure so I’m in the rain quite often and honestly a nice large (one that goes to my calf) high quality(NOT the US gov issue) poncho tends to be used more than my grundens or my other rain suites. It’s quick and easy to put on one off, doesn’t leak through the zipper or button seams and for being heavy vulcanized cotton breathes much better than any real rain suite I’ve used since the bottom is completely open. All the technical jackets that breath will eventually soak through, best so far is about 3 hours of heavy rain. And I’ve used the lot of them and have always been let down, money makes no difference there I’ve spent upwards of $700 just on jackets and makes no difference. Grundens or any of the true commercial foul weather gear are amazing but hot, in any warmer weather you will shortly be as wet inside as as outside just from the sweat. The moment it cools off they are amazing though.

Ditto Jmarches comments, rain being a big part of boating here in the PNW and SE Alaska. Breathables are great but eventually will soak through in heavy rain. When it's coming down in buckets, Grundens or similar PVC gear is heavy duty and you won't get wet from the rain but it might feel like a sauna inside, especially if it's warm. I have both setups and they both have their place. I can't speak to the Loop but I'd guess that breathables would work just fine. REI online has a good selection of breathables.

Last edited:
My vote is for Frogg Toggs. We have a set each of Henri Lloyds's. Used to used them alot when we sail, but now only when torrential rain and either using the dinghy or when tying up.

Bought my Helly Hansen jacket sometime back in the 1970s, and haven't been able to wear it out yet. Thinking of asking to be buried in it, just in case of foul weather on the way to the next life.

Wifey B: You're not still planning on looping this year are you? :confused:

Mainly need rain gear but if looping in March and April or after September, need some cold weather gear. I recommend cross country ski jackets you can find at places like Academy Sports with masks also found there. :)

I know, I know. Very late to start. Will be more like a "Great Delivery" until we catch up to the point we can make Chicago by early/mid Oct.
I have done the Erie Canal / Thousand Islands numerous times. Plan on staying in the US this time.
I'll have to go around next spring again to do the first part right!

I know, I know. Very late to start. Will be more like a "Great Delivery" until we catch up to the point we can make Chicago by early/mid Oct.
I have done the Erie Canal / Thousand Islands numerous times. Plan on staying in the US this time.
I'll have to go around next spring again to do the first part right!

Wifey B: What you can do next spring is a half loop, a Great Lakes summer. Go from home to Chicago but don't leave out any lakes, then return home the way you came if you want. We do our infamous "leapfrogging". You'll be time pressed this year so don't try to see it all. Rather than hours stopped at each town, just skip over and stop and enjoy a few, knowing you'll get the others next time. I'd perhaps map or list all the place I want to go and then mark a few for this year and the others for next time. :)

We looped in 2016 and then kept the boat on Pickwick for more time on the TN and Cumberland Rivers in 2017. Next time we intend to do the Ohio. Sometime, the Missouri, maybe upper Mississippi, the Arkansas. Maybe even lower Mississippi. So much to see you can do it many times. :D

Like you with the Erie, we regularly do the East Coast and the Gulf Coast, so don't think of them as looping. :ermm:

We intend to loop again next year. This year is East Coast. Right now in Martha's Vineyard, but soon to Newport and flying home for 3 weeks break.:)

We intend to loop again next year. This year is East Coast. Right now in Martha's Vineyard, but soon to Newport and flying home for 3 weeks break.:)

Assuming you'll be doing Lake Ontario and not the Western Erie, I'm sure we'll notice if you stop into Rochester, considering your typical choice of boats.

Assuming you'll be doing Lake Ontario and not the Western Erie, I'm sure we'll notice if you stop into Rochester, considering your typical choice of boats.

Wifey B: Definitely won't do Western Erie due to air draft. Last time we went to Rochester. Don't know if we will next time or not. Boat will likely be a Sunseeker Manhattan. We loved Lake Ontario with the huge variety of places to visit. We hit the islands to the East only briefly with time in Sackets Harbor and would love to visit more of the beautiful area there. Several days in Toronto as we hit Montreal on another trip where we came up and around to it. Did get Kingston and Hamilton and then on the US side, Oswego, Rochester, Sodus Point and Fair Haven. Then the Welland Canal. We were a bit early for some of the outdoors beauty of Rochester but loved the Falls in the middle of downtown and a couple of the museums. Found the Eastman museum and the history of photography most interesting. :)

My vote is for Frogg Toggs. We have a set each of Henri Lloyds's. Used to used them alot when we sail, but now only when torrential rain and either using the dinghy or when tying up.

Second on the use of Frog Toggs. I've seen a lot of AT hikers use them in foul weather. Personally, I use a Patagonia H2No (probably branded differently now) jacket and a Zpacks Rain Kilt (Dyneema) on the trail and take them onboard in case of rain. They are good for continuous rain with winds up to 25MPH. They are both light and pack small. The rain kilt is nice in that it is a quick wrap around that covers past the knees, keeping pockets, wallet and electronics dry. Yet, not trapping hot humid air inside. (Note: When waring the Rain Kilt, you have to speak with a slight Scottish accent.)

Both are good for warmer weather with a need to layer up underneath for cooler weather.

We are on the Loop that we started in '16. We should finish next year.

We have WM foul weather gear both jackets, pants and boots, the jackets have hoods.

We've never used them on the boat for foul weather. Used the jackets at home in the winter when we are off the boat though.

Our policy is that if bad weather is predicted, we stay in port.

We have a lower helm but have never used it.

We don't boat in the winter, putting the boat up then so IF we have experienced some weather then a jacket with hood works well inside of our 3/4 enclosed bridge.

Most who get full outfits are sailors who need to sit in a cockpit no matter what the weather is. That isn't our definition of recreational cruising.

Your cruising may vary and unless you plan on being out in bad weather quite frequently, I'd stick to the lesser cost equipment. Just make sure your PFD fits over whatever you buy.

We use Frogg Toggs…simple, light weight, inexpensive, dries quickly. Jackets and pants (not bibs); pants are quite useful for rainy weather anchoring, boat washing, dinghy trips, etc. I am on my second set, and not the fancie$t of their offerings. First set was used on motorcycle and now in a work vehicle.

We also have Gil and West Marine “proper” raincoats. They get used mostly off the boat because of their high-visibility and useful storage pockets.

Finally, we use Mustang Catalyst float coats when it gets cold. Like the Frogg Toggs, its old gear that works for a long time. I had mine on yesterday while anchoring, yes June in the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Totally agree on the Frogg Toggs. Have the cheap, light weight one and love it. Actually have two. Can roll them up and put them in a pocket, and they keep the rain off and breath enough for comfort.

Also have a big yellow rain jacket.... rarely use it.

Back
Top Bottom