Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeff,

Thank you. A couple of questions for you.

How many coats does Gyeon recommend?
What is the process for maintaining it?

They say “two layers is an option”.

Maintenance - We recommend the use of Q²R Wash and Q²R Maintain during your normal wash routine. The coating is designed to resist chemicals ph. within 2 to 11.

https://gyeonquartz.com/product/gelcoat/

One of the newer phenomena with ceramic coating is adding graphene oxide to the mix. There are several distributors who are beginning to do this. The only information that I have dug up so far is on cars.

In researching it, I stumbled across the process used to correct an area that is beyond the flashing stage and how you address it, dependent upon the time since application. If you are interested in how a high spot is corrected, then click on the embedded video.

https://www.adamsforums.com/topic/38489-blog-graphene-ceramic-coating™-explained/

38E listed in Anacortes

I just stumbled across a listing for a 2016 38E at Banana Belt Boats and Yachts in Anacortes. They’re asking $499,900 for a six year old Helmsman. I was surprised to see one on the market but not surprised to see it listed for what is probably well over the purchase price. There are sixty photos that show things we haven’t seen before like the guest berths deployed. The broker’s comments are mostly glowing praise of the boat and the manufacturer.

https://www.bananabeltboats.com/boa...s-38-pilothouse-anacortes-washington-8330876/

I just stumbled across a listing for a 2016 38E at Banana Belt Boats and Yachts in Anacortes. They’re asking $499,900 for a six year old Helmsman. I was surprised to see one on the market but not surprised to see it listed for what is probably well over the purchase price. There are sixty photos that show things we haven’t seen before like the guest berths deployed. The broker’s comments are mostly glowing praise of the boat and the manufacturer.

https://www.bananabeltboats.com/boa...s-38-pilothouse-anacortes-washington-8330876/

I saw that advertisement earlier today. I agree the pictures are worth the time to go through them. Nice boat!

For roughly another $100,000 you could get a new one. You’d have to wait, but it would be 7 years newer (a 2023) and with all brand new systems.

We live in an interesting time and market, which places (placed?) extreme value on immediate gratification.

I just got a quote for ceramic for my Helmsman 38 that is coming in the fall. I was Quoted $4600 by Swift Spirit and $9500 by Premier. Quite a price difference. Swift spirit has come with some great recommendations so I’m inclined to go with them. I guess my point is, it pays to compare products and prices.

FWIW, I’d prefer a ceramic coating to wax. But at nearly $10,000? That would pay for a number of full waxings.

$10k also starts approaching the cost of a paint job. For a 38 ft boat, I imagine in most areas you could get a nice paint job in Awlgrip or Alexseal for around $15k (especially on a new boat that didn’t need any cosmetic work).

I don’t know how long a ceramic coating will last in a marine environment, with sun, salt, water immersion, friction from fenders and lines, etc. It seems finishes like Awlgrip and Alexseal have stood the test of time and probably reliably last 15-20 years without the need for regular waxing. I don’t know if anything ‘rubbed on’ would last anywhere near as long.

If it came down to $10k for ceramic that lasted 4-5 years ($2k/yr) vs. $15k for paint that lasted 15-20 years ($1k/yr) the paint might be a more cost-effective option (vs waxing 2-3 times a year).

FWIW, I’d prefer a ceramic coating to wax. But at nearly $10,000? That would pay for a number of full waxings.

$10k also starts approaching the cost of a paint job. For a 38 ft boat, I imagine in most areas you could get a nice paint job in Awlgrip or Alexseal for around $15k (especially on a new boat that didn’t need any cosmetic work).

I don’t know how long a ceramic coating will last in a marine environment, with sun, salt, water immersion, friction from fenders and lines, etc. It seems finishes like Awlgrip and Alexseal have stood the test of time and probably reliably last 15-20 years without the need for regular waxing. I don’t know if anything ‘rubbed on’ would last anywhere near as long.

If it came down to $10k for ceramic that lasted 4-5 years ($2k/yr) vs. $15k for paint that lasted 15-20 years ($1k/yr) the paint might be a more cost-effective option (vs waxing 2-3 times a year).

Thanks Nick
I asked for your suggestions and it wasn't available at the time of boat purchase. SO the two alternatives would be a paint over the new gelcoat boat. I think I would be even more interested if it was an older boat. Assume I never really happy with the wash buff and wax I do.. I have had pros do it on my older boat and it seems to last a lot longer., look better. I also see 4 days of messing around to buff and wax the entire vessel when I could be motoring each wax job if do it myself. That said I'd prefer for the pros to do everything and at ~ $2k++ at 2x per year, the ceramic pays out easily over time (all I have to do is spray and wash). Let me know if this doesn't make sense. I'll look more into your suggestions when I get a chance.

Thanks, Tom

New 43E Pilot House video

Calibre Yachts just posted a new video on a recently delivered 43. It doesn’t appear to be for sale but the video is mouthwatering. It shows many features of the latest boats out of the yard and some unique customizations.

https://youtu.be/zzoNKN2CzlM

Calibre Yachts just posted a new video on a recently delivered 43. It doesn’t appear to be for sale but the video is mouthwatering. It shows many features of the latest boats out of the yard and some unique customizations.

Thanks Doug

Two new interesting features. 1) Interesting spot for a washer-dryer. 2) the wine glass rack above the dayhead doorway.

I liked the wine glass rack and thought the washer dryer placement was cool. Don’t think that would work with a 38 though. My buddy Helmsman43 is taking out the second bedroom and will place the W/D there. He is increasing the size of the master by eliminating the 2nd bedroom.

Doug, if I may ask, in your avatar you have your upcoming Helmsman in a shade of blue. What color did you order? Is that Pastel Blue (RAL 5024)?

Thank you!

Doug, if I may ask, in your avatar you have your upcoming Helmsman in a shade of blue. What color did you order? Is that Pastel Blue (RAL 5024)?

Thank you!

Nick,
Yes it is Pastel Blue (RAL 5024).

Scott shred a link to two BoatTEST videos. They're on the 43E. They're much more informative than typical sales videos.They answered a lot of questions we had and made us all the more eager for delivery.

https://boattest.com/boats/helmsman-trawlers

Doug, thanks for sharing that. He picked on some things not often seen. Such as handling, sound insulation, etc.

The grey stripe on it looks great! If I had seen that before we selected ours, I would have gone with that color scheme. Beautiful well built boat.

We don't have our 38E yet but it did get a mention in a recent Helmsman Trawlers promotional video.

https://clipchamp.com/watch/3639MOQ2Cmt

We requested exactly this change for Alba Bella and the video is about a new 43. It was fun seeing our request used in a sales video. We didn’t need to ask them to move the microwave because the oven we’re getting includes a microwave. Of course we had to measure the height of the espresso machine before we made the request.

We requested exactly this change for Alba Bella and the video is about a new 43. It was fun seeing our request used in a sales video. We didn’t need to ask them to move the microwave because the oven we’re getting includes a microwave. Of course we had to measure the height of the espresso machine before we made the request.

I have noticed on a couple of older 38’s that the middle area was built in as a floor to ceiling closet. One owner told me that he really liked that n his boat.

Well, the boat is progressing with the finish on the interior moving along. As most folks know, the progress on all boat builds has been slowed with the supply chain issues, so we now expect that the boat will arrive later in the year. Here are some snapshots of the boat as of a week ago or so. The finishes are beginning to take on the well known quality of the Helmsman products!

One of the areas we needed to decide on a couple of months ago was the AC electrical capacity on the boat. We settled on the two 30 amp feeds, which is standard, as opposed to a 50 amp feed. That will provide 7,200 watts of power as opposed to the 12,000 watts a 50 amp would provide. With no 220 volt appliances, we went with the 30 amp in order to get the two Victron shore power isolators, which is also standard. This will provide some protection from the trips people are experiencing due to the upgrades to elci breakers at pedestals.

While there are 50 amp isolators available, they are much heavier and bulkier. I had the same setup on a previous boat, and it wasn't much of an issue. Power management is always a variable on a boat.

Attachments

• 07042022 Galley.jpg
    07042022 Galley.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 07042022 PilotHouse.jpg
    07042022 PilotHouse.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 07042022 Forward Cabin 2.jpg
    07042022 Forward Cabin 2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 07042022 Hull.jpg
    07042022 Hull.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Well, the boat is progressing with the finish on the interior moving along. As most folks know, the progress on all boat builds has been slowed with the supply chain issues, so we now expect that the boat will arrive later in the year. Here are some snapshots of the boat as of a week ago or so. The finishes are beginning to take on the well known quality of the Helmsman products!

One of the areas we needed to decide on a couple of months ago was the AC electrical capacity on the boat. We settled on the two 30 amp feeds, which is standard, as opposed to a 50 amp feed. That will provide 7,200 watts of power as opposed to the 12,000 watts a 50 amp would provide. With no 220 volt appliances, we went with the 30 amp in order to get the two Victron shore power isolators, which is also standard. This will provide some protection from the trips people are experiencing due to the upgrades to elci breakers at pedestals.

While there are 50 amp isolators available, they are much heavier and bulkier. I had the same setup on a previous boat, and it wasn't much of an issue. Power management is always a variable on a boat.

Is that hull color 'Kingston Grey'?

We toured the boat shown in the video and it sealed the deal for us. It is beautiful and we get to add our own personal touch. I added the extra house batteries and am working towards a 1kw solar set. It will be here in late May.

We decided to skip the Seakeeper after talking to Scott about the boat and where the majority of our boating will be. We can add it later if needed. Easy install.

And my wife selected a light blue stripe to make it pop.

Can’t wait

We toured the boat shown in the video and it sealed the deal for us. It is beautiful and we get to add our own personal touch. I added the extra house batteries and am working towards a 1kw solar set. It will be here in late May.

We decided to skip the Seakeeper after talking to Scott about the boat and where the majority of our boating will be. We can add it later if needed. Easy install.

And my wife selected a light blue stripe to make it pop.

Can’t wait

Congratulations! Exciting times! I think the stripe looks great, too. Are you getting a 43 or 38?

The 43. It ticks all the boxes

I really like the profile of the 43. The hull is about a foot higher, I think, than the 38. I think you will be really happy with it. Are you staying with the two stateroom layout or altering the second stateroom to another use?

I really like the profile of the 43. The hull is about a foot higher, I think, than the 38. I think you will be really happy with it. Are you staying with the two stateroom layout or altering the second stateroom to another use?

We’ll keep the stateroom. That’s one of our ticked boxes. I feel bad for Roger and Scott. I pester them daily with ideas. ?

We’ll keep the stateroom. That’s one of our ticked boxes. I feel bad for Roger and Scott. I pester them daily with ideas. ��

Helmsman43, a poster on this forum, and a good friend of mine, eliminated the second state room in lieu of the head opening into his state room, and I think a slightly larger master. He is having a W/D put into the area where a portion of the second bed room was.

Just another example of the ability to customize the interior with a Helmsman! When you have time, take us through the options you have decided on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom