Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's basically a sailboat with a pilothouse instead of a mast.

I have that boat. Cruised it for a few years then added a mast and a decent sized sail plan to reduce the roll. It rolled really bad (and fast) without the mast, but now it’s stable when the wind is blowing.

Interesting that the builder decided to install a grid cooler instead of split pipe cooling. I've only seen that on steel boats with high hp engines (like tugs).

Looks pretty nice but I'm not a big fan of all the carpeting inside.

Boat’s in NEB getting all carpet removed and replaced by Amtico right now. Totally agree.

Yup that’s why we bought one!!!!

Hipp... if you get a chance, post a couple photos for engine and gen set compartment. Didn't notice that area showing in the video. Thanks! Art

I watched a video yesterday comparing the Delphia 11 Electric to its Diesel sibling. The boats are identical except for the propulsion. They're Class B boats, so definitely inland cruisers, but they look to be pretty nice. Pretty sure they said they're displacement hulls, so slow boats.

Nicely laid out, good configuration options, and surprisingly inexpensive for all the features they have.

https://www.delphiayachts.com/en/delphia-11-electric

Function over Appearance?

So this is the Le Boat company (should be Le Bumper Boat) that charters these boats out of Smiths Falls on the Rideau canal in Ontario Canada. The boats are setup to cruise the Rideau canal and the many lakes that are part of it. Clearly experience isn't a requirement for renting one of these vessels, as you will see.

20220601_180822.jpg

The below picture shows the heavy hard rubber fendering at the gunnel, waterline, and vertically about every 10'. Not only is this a fashion statement, but clearly a warning, "venture near me at your own peril".

20220601_180845.jpg

The people doing several locks with me were quite competent in handling the boat. Equipped with large powerful bow and stern thrusters, it seemed there was no thermal limit to how much side shuffling they could do.

20220601_143737.jpg

The one possible improvement would be to have the bimini top extend further forward. It rained most of the day when we were locking together.

20220601_143731.jpg

When leaving the second to last lock, the dockmaster informed us that there was another rental boat coming that was bouncing off the trees on both sides of the canal. Like a 4 year old trying to drive a bumper car and continually over compensating (plus bow and stern thrusters). He finally stopped as everyone knew he wasn't going to make it past our 2 boats. We left him behind in the capable hands of the lock master.

No experience required. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. OC. I watched one of La Boats "maneuvering" around a mooring buoy in Big Rideau Lake one year. He ran the thrusters, both bow and stern for nearly 10 minutes, pretty well non stop, the whole time. I suspect they're hydraulic and NOT electric.
Haven't seen any bumper car pilots, yet, year but the season is young.
From what little I've seen of them, they're pretty nicely set up.
I expect you'll be in my neck of the woods tomorrow or Friday.

Power Boat TV did 2 segments in 2019 on Le Boat. You can find them by searching for Le Boat on powerboattv.com.

We're between boats and so have signed up to be "Bumper Boat" drivers :)

Chartered on for a week in August...will share our experience with the forum when done.

They are single engine that drives a hydraulic prop, bow thruster, stern thruster and generator.

Looks like the Admiral will not have to use her fender setting skills.

Cheers

Steel hull is good, but riveted ... not so much

Titanic was riveted... I believe! Also believe: I've read there was some not so good circumstances regarding Titanic's rivets.

Often wonder the leakage factor in "ship-size" riveted boats. So far as small riveted boats... every one I've ever seen or listened to owner of - it seeps [leaks] water between the rivets. Especially after the boat hull has been "worked" a few times in rough water.

Good welds on good steel seems best. From what I've read!

Last edited:
But that had nothing to do with it

Well - Somewhere I'd red that Titanic rivets had either material and/or installation troubles that helped to get the "seam" to open large.

Maybe I'm incorrect... but... maybe I'm not too. :socool:

"Faulty Rivets Emerge as Clues To Titanic Disaster" NYT

Now, after years of analysis and any number of false leads, experts say they have preliminary evidence suggesting that the Titanic, the biggest ship of her day, a dream of luxury come to life, may have been done in by structural weaknesses in some of her smallest and least glamorous parts: the rivets.

Two wrought-iron rivets from the Titanic's hull were recently hauled up from the depths for scientific analysis and were found to be riddled with unusually high concentrations of slag, making them brittle and prone to fracture.

''We think they popped and allowed the plates to separate and let in the water,'' said William H. Garzke Jr., a naval architect who heads a team of marine forensic experts investigating the disaster.

Last edited:
OK, I stand corrected. Never heard that one before but I suppose it could have been a contributing factor. I was more thinking in the context of the old steel boat that was posted and the Titanic being new would not have to worry about the rivets weakening with age.

IMG_4611.jpg

The guy was driving the “boat” from inside the Van. ?

I believe they call that brand a VanGo?

I had a talk with the broker and came away NOT feeling warm and fuzzy. If the boat comes with free motor, via grants, why is the free motor not taken care of before the auction?

Guess that's akin to the reasoning why you can get free by filing for divorce till after you're married! :popcorn: :eek: :dance:

Back
Top Bottom