Paint Code for off-white

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdebelser

Vessel Name
RumRunner
Vessel Make
GB36 Classic 1980
I have been searching for the paint codes to match the gelcote of the 1980 Grand Banks 36 CLASSIC. I assume the color is consistant across the board. Would like to use the usual paints such as Awlgrip, Interlux, or etc to paint the window frames. Currently our boat is white which is not all that atractive.

Anybody know the code to match the gelcote?

Last edited:
Awlgrip has a Grand Banks white. If you can't find it PM me.

I did my windows, you can read and see the process at my blog, grandbankschoices.

You need to dig around to find it. Not a task for the feint of heart. A lot of work to get it right. Totally changed look of boat.

Mine look like that are molded into fiberglass. Really came out good.

That’s the look we want. Do you per chance know the code number. Can’t seem to find it.

GB Color

I had, and am having the same quandary on my 1978 GB32 Sedan.. I am working with Alexseal (2 part), which I have confidence in but started a few projects with a brighter white, Cloud White, that I refinished the aft cabin door, came out great but a bit brighter that the surrounding so rethinking an off white, eggshell, etc. You will find that although, folks have "Grand Banks" white, it seems more tan, and actually matches the color of interior non-brightwork wood components. Much more "tan" than our exterior white.... that being said... yours may match better to this GB white than ours. Color chart is out on Patience, but I can follow on with "closest" colors I am considering if interested. Good luck on this hunt!

I think there are two colors. Grand Banks beige and Grand Banks white. Would like to get the paint mix numbers for Awlgrip.

Will be interested as well! Will keep posted.

Greetings,
White isn't white, evidently...

iu

Awlgrip grand Banks white is H8304. So perfect it you get a drop on gelcoated you can't find it.

I have had Sherman Williams match the interior color in an oil based egg shell cabinet paint. PM me your email and I will send the code.

Be aware, the SW oil base takes a week to dry on a boat due to humidity. But it looks perfectly stock now. You can see it in my blog pictures. I rolled it with a small foam roller.

I get the Awlgrip products at Seachest marine in New Orleans. Ask for Steve, tell them Mike referred you.

Awlgrip grand Banks white is H8304. So perfect it you get a drop on gelcoated you can't find it.

I have had Sherman Williams match the interior color in an oil based egg shell cabinet paint. PM me your email and I will send the code.

Be aware, the SW oil base takes a week to dry on a boat due to humidity. But it looks perfectly stock now. You can see it in my blog pictures. I rolled it with a small foam roller.

I have an Awlgrip color chart in front of me. I don't see the H8304 color on the chart. Is this a custom mix? I have removed hardware mounted on the gelcoat surface and find that the original color is slightly beige. Different from the faded-to-white color that I see on the exposed surface.
I ask because I have a paint job on my list of things to do too.

OK, scratch that- I just did a Google search and found that color. Apparently just not on this chart for some reason.

Last edited:
I have an Awlgrip color chart in front of me. I don't see the H8304 color on the chart. Is this a custom mix? I have removed hardware mounted on the gelcoat surface and find that the original color is slightly beige. Different from the faded-to-white color that I see on the exposed surface.
I ask because I have a paint job on my list of things to do too.

OK, scratch that- I just did a Google search and found that color. Apparently just not on this chart for some reason.

Under that white, once you remove the oxidation, is the original colour, whatever it once was.

Living in the deep south where 98% humidity combines with 90-plus temps and ac can be a struggle, I went with something you are NOT looking for in the Awlgrip I applied to my 1972 woodie GB42. I used Snow White Awlgrip, the whitest white I could find which could give you snow blindness on a sunny day. Different strokes...

Attachments

• New Awlgrip oon hull Nov 04.jpg
    New Awlgrip oon hull Nov 04.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 15
The GB white will also give you the eye blindness. In Florida a good bottom job almost does.

Britesides off white matched well on my 1988 GB 42

Sprectrum has 2 colors for Grand Banks. Number 83 and 93. What is the difference?

I don’t know the difference but the folks at Spectrum were very helpful when I was working through a project. I’d recommend giving them a call to see if they can assist with the correct color match for your application.
Cheers!
- - Craig

Totally confused re the Gel Coat Number
I have the serial number: GND07570781
Need the Gel Coat match also the AwlGrip

Is there not some kind of reference chart??

help with Gel coat number

I have the serial Number
can the Gel Coat and AwlGrip be matched from that ?
is there a chart for Grand Banks ?
serial number GNDD07570781
Maybe different manufacturer through the years?

There are likely millions of shades of white
It has been determined by people who determine such things that there are somewhere around 18 decillion varieties of colors available for your viewing enjoyment. That's an 18 followed by 33 zeros.

Your aged gelcoat will probably be totally different in colour to a new batch.
Better colour matching and mixing on the job.
Had to do this on a repair I did many years back, off shelf gelcoat not even close.

Totally confused re the Gel Coat Number
I have the serial number: GND07570781
Need the Gel Coat match also the AwlGrip

Is there not some kind of reference chart??

Even if there was a paint or gel coat to match the original gel coat it wouldn’t match today. Your gel coat has weathered. Get a paint card from the mfg you prefer and get close. I use EZPoxy Mediterranean White. Is pretty darn close to my 40 year old gel coat.
If you insist on using gel coat you will have to mix to match your self. Or get a good fiberglass guy.

Depends, Original gel has been under cover 7 months a year, just had the whole boat wet sanded 800 and then 1000 and thencut with
Puffed out with 3M Super Duty Compound ,
Looks like a new boat, Bet it's 95% or better, Need to Gel forward house over v-birth.
The formula is out there

Last edited:
I suspect they are manufacture specific.

was told so

I suspect they are manufacture specific.

somewhere on this forum someone mentioned that is you had the serial number a list exists that will give you the code or formula for the Gel Coat.
somehow I lost that Thread , saw it months ago?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom