Jabsco HD fresh water pump died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choices

Guru
Vessel Name
Choices
Vessel Make
36 Grand Banks Europa
After less than two weeks our Jabsco HD fresh water pump died.

Currently cut wires to pressure switch and we are pressuring up via circuit breaker.

Seems pressure switch died, pump still works.

Amazing the crap that is getting manufactured these days.

I am considering using a SqrD well switch and still using pump. Depends on how Defender handles warranty.

SeaRay guys said Defender does not want pump back anymore, too many failures.

An external pressure switch will likely resolve the issue long term. The other option is to replace the pressure switch and add a relay so that the pressure switch on the pump doesn't have to carry the full pump motor current through its contacts.

Realistically though, stuff like this is why things come with warranties. Most failures are either early in life because it's defective or late in life when it's worn out.

Agree: I have a Square D well pump pressure switch which activates a 12v solenoid to switch my Groco Paragon SR. Works great for me and we cruise 3-4 mos each year and do not have a dock hose hookup when in port. I just replaced my failing solenoid via Amazon (hint: the 300A unit is best -$18, delivered tomorrow with Prime).
The square D has 2 channels so if one side wears out, just move the wires to opposite side. Moreover, since it’s a mechanical switch, u can hear and see it open/close plus u can adjust the opening/closing pressures.
Caveat: not suitable for gasoline ER’s as not ignition protected.

I have used the Square D pump pressure switches for years. THe first lasted over 20. I am on the second.

I use both sides of the contacts.

One side for the +, one side for the -.

THen I mount a diode between to kill the spark that is produced by abruptly
cutting the current/voltage off. Just be sure to reverse polarity mount the diode so the white or grey line on its body is on the + connection.

I don't have a large pump , 3 GPM, so if you do then a H.D. relay may be a good idea. Otherwise the pump switch will do fine.

I use an NTE 5817 diode and have done now for many years.

Why any of the mfgrs insist on using small capacity snap switches is beyond me other than they are cheap. They are generally good switches and reliable in the right place for small signal use without any voltage backflass from disconnecting motors. THey usually have short lives when the use is such as this. THe backflash burns the contacts. THat's why the HD pump switch or a H.D. relay that can withstand the back flash.

I have two pumps like this, Jabsco for the drinking water and a Whale bilge pump of about the same capacity and current draw. Both used these undersized snap switches. I use the snap switches to avoid having to make a plug. They switches do well as a plug for the sensing hole.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom