Nordhavn 40: Atlantic Crossing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judy at JWY

M/Y Embracing Life, fka M/Y Kemo Sabe, has a planned departure from Miami for Saturday. The new owner will be taking her transatlantic with arrival at the Azores expected in mid-June. Not that N40 crossings are so common (this is my 2nd N40 owner to do so), but what makes this crossing so special is the owner.

Philippe had a massive stroke at age 50, five years ago. While still in the ICU, he started setting goals. Ocean crossing under his own power became a goal. It's a fascinating and inspirational story of determination, beating the odds, and dealing with challenges.

I have written the full story, with photos, for the other forum on which I participate. Unless one of you "doublers" want to post it if ok with administration, please send me a PM and I will send you the link if you want "the rest of the story."

Judy

We looked at this boat before purchasing current one. Great bones but looked to have been put away wet too many times. Electrical was funky imho. Boat was rolled and dipped and it was obvious. ER dirty and cosmetics needed work. Still with effort and work could be bought back to a fine boat. First chore would be to redo mast and fish set up and service fins. Usual need to replace electronics and add comm.
both general and mechanical surveyors had things to say but glad someone bought her and will do the restoration.

Hippo, a man who had a heart attack is going on an adventure in his new boat. I don't think she asked for your opinion of his boat.

Judy, please post the rest of the story on here.

My bad we did NOT look at Kemo Sabe. My bad. It was TipSea which was the boat that was the first N40 to cross the Atlantic. My only excuse is I’m a bit tired as on transit and posting from the helm so broken attention. Apologize

M/Y Embracing Life, fka M/Y Kemo Sabe, has a planned departure from Miami for Saturday. The new owner will be taking her transatlantic with arrival at the Azores expected in mid-June. Not that N40 crossings are so common (this is my 2nd N40 owner to do so), but what makes this crossing so special is the owner.

Philippe had a massive stroke at age 50, five years ago. While still in the ICU, he started setting goals. Ocean crossing under his own power became a goal. It's a fascinating and inspirational story of determination, beating the odds, and dealing with challenges.

I have written the full story, with photos, for the other forum on which I participate. Unless one of you "doublers" want to post it if ok with administration, please send me a PM and I will send you the link if you want "the rest of the story."

Judy

I delivered several N40s. I was pleasantly surprised by them - very nice design, comfortable, and a decent performer. When they were first introduced, I was put-off by the stark departure compared to the N46 but you know what? Given the choice, I'd take a N40 over the N46 in a heartbeat.

I'd enjoy reading more about the project if you're okay sharing link.

Peter

Just to clarify, this vessel underwent an entire day of survey including sea trial and haulout. She is in tie-position for my #1 best surveyed used boat. There is nothing so great as having owners take meticulous care of their vessel cosmetically and mechanically. It shouldn't be so outstanding or exceptional to find a used boat in "excellent" condition, but this one really was.

Kudos to Kemo Sabe's owners!

No problem! I just wanted to make sure no one else was confused about her condition.

Hippo, a man who had a heart attack is going on an adventure in his new boat. I don't think she asked for your opinion of his boat.

Judy, please post the rest of the story on here.

agreed. totally inappropriate rundown of a boat that has sold and is in play

agreed. totally inappropriate rundown of a boat that has sold and is in play

Sailor...Hippo already apologized, not once, but twice, at 8:45 am and 10:59 pm, both times prior to your post.

I think he has apologized enough for one day.

Sorry to meddle, but it thought it worth noting.

I read your wright up on YF Judy. It’s very inspirational. Wish Philippe and his crew the best of luck.

John

Wifey B: Judy, kind ma'am, while I'm excited he's still very much alive, not just surviving, I do have a couple of questions. Do you know the route he intends to take? I can't help fearing a Bermuda Azores route or Bahamas Azores or similar southern route in a 40. The northern route has shorter distances. Best of luck to them, but I won't be comfy till they set foot on mainland Europe. :)

I am having trouble loading the route map, but they will be going Miami-Bermuda-Azores-Lisbon.

Last edited:
He is NOT taking the N40 transatlantic without another boat to keep him company. That is good.
More than a few N46 have gone transatlantic alone but the N40 really should have a shepard.
I wonder where he going to put the required fuel?

i have the perfect boat..

if she was made from fiberglass, have stabilizers, a queen bed in the master and another 12" in the engine room.

Thats all

He is NOT taking the N40 transatlantic without another boat to keep him company. That is good.
More than a few N46 have gone transatlantic alone but the N40 really should have a shepard.
I wonder where he going to put the required fuel?

Often the Shepard is the vessel needing help. Nearly two decades ago the N40 around the world cruise set a benchmark for solo cruising.

With good weather routing the N40 is more than capable. Richard's voyages on Dauntless show he values of perseverance, vessel soundness and sea sense. Not to mention NYC moxie.

With the N40 (and basically all pleasure boats but with a few exceptions) the fuel is the limiting factor when planning a long voyage.

Last edited:
In rough numbers, the longest leg is 1,900 nm. In good conditions 1.5 GPH at 6 kts, so less than ideal conditions about 2 GPH. Thats 633 gallons and still leaves 30+% left in the tanks.

In rough numbers, the longest leg is 1,900 nm. In good conditions 1.5 GPH at 6 kts, so less than ideal conditions about 2 GPH. Thats 633 gallons and still leaves 30+% left in the tanks.

Dont forget fuel for the generator....

I recall from the voyage to Bermuda from the US, they had to refuel thee N40 from the shepard boat.

Dont forget fuel for the generator....

I recall from the voyage to Bermuda from the US, they had to refuel thee N40 from the shepard boat.

Only need the generator if one must have the A/C on or as a backup for charging batteries if the alt dies and possibly water maker depending what it may have. Or, if he insists on doing laundry on the way.

My foggy recollection is refueling was needed because the group was staying together at a chosen speed and into weather. Traveling alone, one might have more options available, like slowing down or modifying one’s course to something more favorable.

Hunting up a used NN40, it carries 920 gal of fuel.
That is more than enough.
Alas, the N40 is no longer made.
You will have to settle for a N41

They are all sweet boats. Personally for this voyage would prefer a 475 to a 41. More old school (dry stack etc.) but perhaps slightly better long range vessel.

I'd gladly "settle" for any of the Nordys

Yup, 4 or 5 guys and one stateroom, 10+ days....

I suspect they were standing on cases of canned food too.

my 2 s/r 46 had room for lots of fresh and frozen food, assuming they had a separate freeze chest.
I do know it had space for a year's + supply of toilet paper. When she left me, took a year to see the back of the cabinet.

FYI - my recollection is the N40 was designed to carry sufficient fuel to make the longest leg when circumnavigating, the Pacific leg from California to Hawaii. She also has a small yanmar as get home. This is a very capable and comfortable boat.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom