Princess 3-Burner Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shrew

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
N/A
Vessel Make
1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
We have the Princess 3-Burner Electric Range/Oven (fixed mount). The stove burners have worked poorly at best. I woke up this morning and went to cook breakfast and the stove top appears to given up the ghost. The oven still works, however we rarely use it.

I'm looking for a direct replacement. Does anyone know of direct replacements for the Princess Fixed Mount? Force 10 looks very close.

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 48
The Princess is likely made to fit a standard sized opening, just under 22"x22"x22". What opening size do you have?
Check your local chandlery for the sizes they offer.
When I changed up from a 4 burner propane stove to a similar sized diesel stove, I needed to up size my opening, but other propane stoves and standard sized marine electric stoves would have fit the existing opening.

The Princess is likely made to fit a standard sized opening, just under 22"x22"x22". What opening size do you have?
Check your local chandlery for the sizes they offer.
When I changed up from a 4 burner propane stove to a similar sized diesel stove, I needed to up size my opening, but other propane stoves and standard sized marine electric stoves would have fit the existing opening.

With Force 10 stove, they make an adapter kit so the stove will fit the Princess hole.

ASD. I love the tile. Our fridge is about as close with a similar wood paneled wall. Is yours the gimballed model? Force 10 advertises a fixed mount but I cant find any for sale.

Princess stove

I have a princess 3 burner with over an in good condition that I replaced with a propane unit. The propane conversion wasn't too bad but had to add a cylinder locker on the fore deck. If anyone wants the old electric princess contact me after July when in at home port.

Same scenario as ASD, replaced the 110v Princess with a Force 10. Same cutout, works great. Quality stove.

ASD. I love the tile. Our fridge is about as close with a similar wood paneled wall. Is yours the gimballed model? Force 10 advertises a fixed mount but I cant find any for sale.
Non gimballed.

I had a Princess 3 burner electric, oven wasn't worth squat. I replaced it with a Force 10 that looked strangely like (identical) the Princess and fit snug in the existing hole with attached side spacers The oven is a little bit better but I still burned the biscuits this morning. I changed to an Airbake cookie sheet. Improve the oven results considerably but still have to be careful.
I would gladly change to an induction stove top but cant find a solution for the oven.

We have the Princess 3-Burner Electric Range/Oven (fixed mount). The stove burners have worked poorly at best. I woke up this morning and went to cook breakfast and the stove top appears to given up the ghost. The oven still works, however we rarely use it.

I'm looking for a direct replacement. Does anyone know of direct replacements for the Princess Fixed Mount? Force 10 looks very close.
Truly , I am in the minority. My Princess 3 burner works great including the oven which we use regularly.
I assume you are aware that the 110v version has a switch so only 2 burners + oven or 3 top burners w/o oven work? Be sure to dissemble the elements and clean /reinstall. Check the wattage since they are not all the same I have mine set up so that the rear & Rt front are high temp burners which will heat along with the oven. Works a treat. I never use the Lt front burner.
Replacement elements are standard.

If you use the front 2 burners, I'm not sure if the back burner can reach its full potential.

They have replacement oven thermostats but then it has to be calibrated after instillation. I guess I just expect too much from the oven.

Where did you find the documentation for the stove/oven????
Where did you find that switch?
Did you find a source for the burner bowls?

Last edited:
Have the same Princess stove in our boat. It works, just not great.

On the project list is replacing the cooktop with an induction unit, and replace the stove with one of these “do everything” fancy toaster oven air fryer things. This will be a custom job but several here have done it.

I like the efficiency of induction. Never been impressed with any electric stove surface except for induction.

I don’t believe these new things will actually replace the oven, but really for our use we are thinking pizza, frozen foods, other simple things. Some claim you can bake bread in them.

Truly , I am in the minority. My Princess 3 burner works great including the oven which we use regularly.
I assume you are aware that the 110v version has a switch so only 2 burners + oven or 3 top burners w/o oven work? Be sure to dissemble the elements and clean /reinstall. Check the wattage since they are not all the same I have mine set up so that the rear & Rt front are high temp burners which will heat along with the oven. Works a treat. I never use the Lt front burner.
Replacement elements are standard.

I have a 110V model. The front panel has a switch that reads {Top Burner | Oven}. On mine it's Top Burners OR Oven. There is no apparent option to run both a burner and the oven on mine, that I'm aware of.

Update(s): Opened the stove, unseated and reseated the burner connectors and burners. I got everything working....once. Now the stove is back to 'oven only'.

I'm going to see if Defender will order a Fixed Model Force 10 along with the trim kit.

Seems like this is a recurring theme. These units were very popular, but there are a few things you need to know when using them.

There is a thermal fuse which can fail. It prevents you from running the oven with the cover on. The Top/Oven switch selects between the top left burner and the oven; you can't use both at the same time. The back burner is low power, for warming or simmering only.

I guess you can re-wire it to use different burners for full and low power. I like the two front being the full-power burners, so I can put a rectangular griddle over them and fry up pancakes, sausage, eggs, etc. for breakfast.

If you do decide to replace it, don't throw it away. Someone will want it.

I replaced mine with a Force 10 about a year ago. Only minor adjustment required on cabinetry. Be aware the units will not fit out/in the doors. You have to go out/in the window.

Have the same Princess stove in our boat. It works, just not great.

On the project list is replacing the cooktop with an induction unit, and replace the stove with one of these “do everything” fancy toaster oven air fryer things. This will be a custom job but several here have done it.

I like the efficiency of induction. Never been impressed with any electric stove surface except for induction.

I don’t believe these new things will actually replace the oven, but really for our use we are thinking pizza, frozen foods, other simple things. Some claim you can bake bread in them.

There are ovens that do all 3 ways but they require about 6 inches clearance on 4 sides hence they are designed to be counter top

Both on my Princess and Force 10, I do know I can use 2 burners and the oven, if careful. On the Princess the coil for the back burner had a lower rating and didn't matter where you put it on the stove, the burner's coil rating was less.
On the Force 10, all coils are rated the same.

I also have the Force 10. Works great and fit will in the previous Princess slot. Also had a piece of stainless and 1/2" starboard cut to fit over top. Keeps the glass from getting crushed unexpectedly... Stainless on the bottom acts as a bit of a heat shield and when listed up, a backsplash for behind...

Attachments

• full cleaned up.jpg
    full cleaned up.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 24
3-Burner Princess

Found burners to be too small and oven old.
Replaced with Ninga XL Pro Air Fryerfor oven and induction burner on new counter. Energy efficient, less heat in galley and installed new roll out drawer in space below Ninja. Got rid of toaster oven for more counter space. Couldn’t be happier

We had a princess that died. We replaced it with a Dickenson and were very happy with it.

We used a built in convection,microwave air fryer combo unit made for boats an rvs has built in venting system all good. Also put in 3 burner gas cook top burners, same company Couture. Easily found on the web they actually answer questions when you call. Very happy with replacement of our princess gas stove. Contoure USA

I replaced our Princess (p.o.s.) 3-burner with a beautiful Force 10 3-burner which functions and looks so much better. It was a close match that involved a little cosmetic carpentry, but nothing major. Both were gimbaled front to back, so in our galley gimbaled from port to starboard. The gimbals lock and we leave them so as we don't cook underway as a rule, so it amounts to a fixed mount. This really dressed up the galley

We used a built in convection,microwave air fryer combo unit made for boats an rvs has built in venting system all good. Also put in 3 burner gas cook top burners, same company Couture. Easily found on the web they actually answer questions when you call. Very happy with replacement of our princess gas stove. Contoure USA

Please, do you have the brand name and model number of the oven?

Induction Cooktop Replacement

We hated the tiny three burner cooktop, but didn’t really want to replace the entire stove. So we found an induction cooktop to drop in instead of the burners.

Blog post detailing the install - https://mvsoundtrek.blogspot.com/2019/05/renewing-old-princess-stove.html?m=1

Princess stove replacement

We replaced (removed) stove with smooth top with two burners (can get three) electric and took the space from the oven and added 4 drawers (never enough storage). Already had space for convection microwave oven. Has worked perfectly for 5 years for us.....and we have more storage.

Princess comes with two 1000 wt. front burners and 500 wt. back burner. This is because many marinas offer only 30 amps which, if all burners are on, leaves little juice margin for other uses. You can easily replace back 500 with another 1000 is you have 50 amps. or better.

Back
Top Bottom