Current Atlas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rfdvm

I have a great Current Atlas for the San Juan's ("Current Atlas: Juan de Fuca Strait to Strait of Georgia) published by Canadian gov't.
41PIqKEYnpL._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Is there one for the Puget Sound?
Thanks!

Yes one is published. Check with Captain’s in Seattle. I won’t be on the boat for a while so I can’t send a pic, but it’s out there.

Captains Nautical Books and Charts has moved to Inglewood, California.

Not the same but Navionics shows currents. You can run the Navionics app on your phone or tablet and access the tides and currents along with chart data.

Canadian Hydrographics have reportedly discontinued printing the Current Atlas, but Waggoner Guide still publishes the yearly tables.

There isn’t a separate one for WA state because it’s a Canadian publication, but the San Juan Islands are included.

Not the same but Navionics shows currents. You can run the Navionics app on your phone or tablet and access the tides and currents along with chart data.

Definitely not the same.
Navionics shows various passes but no detail anywhere else.

The Current Atlas shows currents everywhere in its area.
I haven't looked at mine in a while, but IIRC, the currents are shown for small tidal changes and separately for larger changes, so you can find the size change you are in, then look at the location you are in, wherever in that area. You don't need one that references cates at all, so one issued (like my own) 30 years ago is still useful.
Real handy if you are looking to do a passage where there are known back eddies, like along the shore of Stanley Park while heading towards First Narrows, or along Spanish Banks, while racing small sailboats in the area.

Definitely not the same.
Navionics shows various passes but no detail anywhere else.

The Current Atlas shows currents everywhere in its area.
I haven't looked at mine in a while, but IIRC, the currents are shown for small tidal changes and separately for larger changes, so you can find the size change you are in, then look at the location you are in, wherever in that area. You don't need one that references cates at all, so one issued (like my own) 30 years ago is still useful.
Real handy if you are looking to do a passage where there are known back eddies, like along the shore of Stanley Park while heading towards First Narrows, or along Spanish Banks, while racing small sailboats in the area.

Are you referring to the Current Atlas I posted at beginning of thread? I love this book, am looking for something as easy to use for Puget Sound

Are you referring to the Current Atlas I posted at beginning of thread? I love this book, am looking for something as easy to use for Puget Sound

Yes
I don't know of anything doing the same for other areas.

I don't have the chart shown in the first post.

I do have the two that show the Yuculta and Dent rapids and the booklet that shows Burrard Inlet First and Second Narrows.

I have used them for good purpose on my own. I loaned them to a friend who was a Predicted Log racer. He wanted them but of course I still have as I periodically use them.

I should have bought the chart above but at the time I spent very little time in the Gulf Islands.

THey were excellent and helpfull publications that are no longer available.

OP. Post number 9 is exactly what you are looking for.

Captains is no longer in Seattle, but they do have an online presence.

IMG_0782.jpg
If this screen shot comes up, you will see it is entirely different from what most here are advising on.
This is what the OP is looking for by his description. See link in post 9.

CHS Current Atlas

CHS publishes extensive atlases of currents on the St Lawrence based on the state of tides. I believe they show currents on a two hour basis and not just at one point on the river’s width. It is amazing how the current varies from Quebec downriver with positive and negative currents from one bank to the other. On the Downeast Loop, the Atlas was of great use in planning with 20’ tides at Quebec. We experienced as much as 7 kts positive assist by being in the right location and not necessarily in the center of the river.

Back
Top Bottom