Paint comparison two years in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koliver

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Retreat
Vessel Make
C&L 44
I last hauled June 20, 2020. This weekend I hauled again, May 21, 2022.
Two haulouts ago, in May, 2019, I put Micron CSC on the running gear, except for the Stb shaft and prop, on which I put nothing at all.
The first photo show the result, when I hauled on June 20, 2020.
That time, I put Micron CSC on the Port running gear and Petit cold Galvanizing spray on the Stb Prop.
The second picture verifies which side has which product.
This past weekend I hauled and painted again.
Here is the result, two years in, of the comparison between the two products.
What is more significant is the amount of hard growth on the struts and in the dark recesses of the shaft exits and the through hulls. One head intake was completely blocked with oysters, the genset intake was almost completely blocked, again with oysters, the bilge pump exit, usually above the waterline, but still with a very large barnacle. The only fittings unaffected were the engine water intakes. I don't know why the hard growth avoided them.
the last 3 pictures are of two of the struts.
I have never left it 2 years in the past, but Covid rules prevented going from my heath area to the Vancouver Health area to do the haulout scheduled last year, so I had a diver scrape the hard growth and renew the zincs last May.
Clearly that wasn't enough.

Attachments

• 2020 haulout begins.jpg
    2020 haulout begins.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2020 haulout complete.jpg
    2020 haulout complete.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 2022 haulout both props.jpg
    2022 haulout both props.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 2022 haulout port cutless.jpg
    2022 haulout port cutless.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 2022 haulout port strut.jpg
    2022 haulout port strut.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2022 haulout port strut 3.jpg
    2022 haulout port strut 3.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
We have had three different boats over the last 17 years. The first was moored in Sidney and Ladysmith, BC over 11 years, the second and third both moored in Campbell River. On all the boats we have polished the props and shafts at haulout and then slathered on a liquid wax to all parts. The wax can be any liquid wax sold for cars, whatever is on sale. Apply liberally. We have never had any growth anywhere using this method. For whatever reason it works.

We have had three different boats over the last 17 years. The first was moored in Sidney and Ladysmith, BC over 11 years, the second and third both moored in Campbell River. On all the boats we have polished the props and shafts at haulout and then slathered on a liquid wax to all parts. The wax can be any liquid wax sold for cars, whatever is on sale. Apply liberally. We have never had any growth anywhere using this method. For whatever reason it works.

That sounds great, but what have you done to keep hard growth off the struts and through hulls, and out of the shaft exits?

All bottom paint with Pettit Horizons. No growth.

Where are you? Have you aver left your haulout 2 years? If so what was the result?

Here, I used Petit Horizons for several years and was quite happy with the results. Then, discussing paints with a friend who lives and boats in the same waters as me, he told me how frequently he had to re-paint and it was significantly less than me. So I changed to the paint he used, Micron Csc. On the fibreglass parts of my boat, it lasts at least as long, maybe longer than the Petit. On teh running gear, it works as well as, maybe better, than the Petit.
My comparison was between the CSC and the Petit cold Galv for the props. My result are clear, as the CSC treated prop has much less hard growth on it than the cold Galv.

We are now in Campbell River but when in both Sidney and Ladysmith we used Micron CSC and once did not haulout for two years with no growth just scum. So basically similar to waters as you. Like you we normally haulout every year.

I'm not surprised about repainting less with Micron CSC. It's definitely at the harder, slower wearing end of the spectrum for an ablative paint.

Must be the local water where your boot is moored. I can easily go 4 years with minimal growth with Hempel Olympic. I will repaint again soon. I hope I can get the same.

However, my experience is that Petit cold galvanizing doesn't very long either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom