Arrive CAN clearance stations PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endeavor GB 32

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Endeavor
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
We do not have active NEXUS cards (applied over a year ago, they took our $75, still waiting..) I have downloaded the Arrive CAN app on my phone and gone through the registration process for my wife and myself. I am struggling with both the app and the website on a PC. To enter the Gulf Islands from the south is Bedwell Harbor the best or only option? Life in 2008 with a NEXUS card was so much easier to comprehend... I really need a 12 year old to assist me with the technology. Any helpful tips are appreciated.
Regards,
Scott

Don’t worry about Nexus. The Arrive Can app just wants you to load in your passport, your vaccination card and your arrival time. Once this is done and can only be done 72 hours in advance, you will receive a code. Write it down and don’t loose it, now you can enter at either Victoria, Sydney, or Bidwell. Most likely you will only find a phone. Pick up the phone or call on your cell. They will most likely ask you for your documentation info and if you have any friuits. If there is an issue they will tell you to wait while they send an inspector, otherwise you will get a temporary registration and be on your way.

Yes, I just checked and it appears that Bedwell has reopened after being closed for more than a year!

Tilt rider is correct - they will ask about produce. Also be familiar with the regulations and be prepared to answer questions about alcohol, tobacco products, cannabis (can’t cross the border with it), and firearms.

Last edited:
do you guys think nexus is done and there going with the app?

Nexus is a trusted traveler program, whereas ArriveCAN is a health app (if that’s the app you were referring to). Two different animals !

For the Arrive Canada app a Smart Phone seems the easiest approach. Taking pictures of your vaccine card and Passport with a phone is pretty quick.

Nexus cards for driving into Canada work wonderfully with app and other data displayed for the border personnel via wifi blue tooth chip on card.

We've flown, driven and boated across the border both ways this Spring. We have found that Customs people can have bad hair days making a straight forward process a bit tenuous.

Yes, I just checked and it appears that Bedwell has reopened after being closed for more than a year!

Can you please post a link to the site that confirms Bedwell is open for checking in via boat? Thanks

Tilt rider is correct - they will ask about produce. Also be familiar with the regulations and be prepared to answer questions about alcohol, tobacco products, cannabis (can’t cross the border with it), and firearms.

Darn it! I just checked 4 days ago and it wasn't open, so went to Van Isle Marina to check in. I love Bedwell for its convenience and location - glad to know it is open again!

Assuming you have Canpass or Nexus and nothing to declare a phone call to Customs works for us with clearance number received over the phone. Nanaimo can be a big delay if the Customs guys have to travel up from Victoria.

Last edited:
Port Sidney is an alternative as well, and not quite as far as Van Isle.

My understanding is that when entering Canada you are required to present yourself at one of the stations, opened or not, and call in from there. Interesting that Sunchaser was able to just call in from wherever.

This is a bit different from entering the US where although you need to plan on presenting yourself at one of the stations, you can call in as soon as you cross the boarder, and if cleared in over the phone (ROAM app, actually), you can then drop plans for a station call and proceed anywhere you like.

Unless things have changed since I moored in Point Roberts, Cabbage Island was/is a clearing location. There are no manned buildings there at all. There was always the comment, do not leave the boat for 1/2 hour after arrival in case we decide to come and see you, after that you are cleared. I always looked up and waved at the satellites. Returning to PR would clear customs before entering. Nexus.

You are required to present your self at specific customs stations to enter Canada. There is one in Victoria, Sidney, Tsehun Harbor, Bidwell, and Nanimo. I skipped the Vancouver options. If you are Nexus you get to call while in transit. Tell your estimated arrival time to one of the many Nexus locations. If you see no customs you may continue. The list of nexus locations is too numerous to mention. The advantage of nexus is that you need never actually dock the boat. With out nexus you need to be tied to the dock before calling in.

Sooooo, quick question, having never cleared customs in Tsehum Harbor, where the heck is the Custom's dock? I did a land search for the address, and THINK I know which dock it is associated with . . . . but it's not listed on my paper charts, nor Navionics . . . Am I missing something simple?
Need to dig out my Waggoneer guide, maybe it's in there . . .

Sooooo, quick question, having never cleared customs in Tsehum Harbor, where the heck is the Custom's dock? I did a land search for the address, and THINK I know which dock it is associated with . . . . but it's not listed on my paper charts, nor Navionics . . . Am I missing something simple?
Need to dig out my Waggoneer guide, maybe it's in there . . .

AKA Van Isle?

AKA Van Isle?

Probably. Just found a notation that: "Canada Customs is also located at the far end of the Van Isle fuel dock."

Now I just need to figure out where the fuel dock is at Van Isle Marina. . . .

Probably. Just found a notation that: "Canada Customs is also located at the far end of the Van Isle fuel dock."

Now I just need to figure out where the fuel dock is at Van Isle Marina. . . .

Just as you enter on the left.

How this..............:thumb:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 9.29.32 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 9.29.32 PM.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 20
My understanding is that when entering Canada you are required to present yourself at one of the stations, opened or not, and call in from there. Interesting that Sunchaser was able to just call in from wherever

On the Arrive Canada App we list Van Isle as our entry port. Then we call in when 30 minutes from Van Isle to get clearance and number. The phone wait can be 5 to 30 minutes.

With non Nexus, Global Entry etc guests onboard the avoidance of a Customs boarding becomes problematic. Guests' previous problems with the law can result in issues as well.

Correct. And Van Isle being Van Isle, 4 young people in matching uniforms came to take lines and direct us to the fuel dock itself (even though we said we didn’t need fuel) because the Customs dock was full.

We'll clear into Canada via Van isle, (Tsehum Harbor) tomorrow. Then on to Ganges to anchor out for the night. Farmer's Market Saturday morning!

recent entry

Checked in at Victoria a few days ago.

Used the customs dock phone but could have used cell and avoided tying up. They wanted to know precisely where I was and it took me a few frustrating minutes to locate the name of the dock that they recognize. It's the only customs dock in Vic harbor, but that wasn't good enough. Finally I found they call it Raymur Point.....then they're happy.

They asked about booze aboard, produce, cannabis, "other goods". Were a bit over the limit on alky but they didn't seem to care.

The want to know where you are, Doc number for boat, and ArriveCan receipt number. That replaces giving them all the crew data since it's transmitted by the app, much like CBP Roam going the other way.

Pretty easy.

Just a couple days ago they posted on the Border Services page that all small boat entry points are now open, except for a half-dozen or so that they list. So, Bedwell appears to be open.

ArriveCan requires you to put down a destination address so that they can contact you if they wish. The address is supposed to be your location for yhe 1st 14 days of your trip or for the duration of your trip if for a shorter period of time. For those of you who would be cruising for the period of time that you are actually in Canada what address are you using??I tried using various in all the fields but it wouldn’t let me proceed…

ArriveCan requires you to put down a destination address so that they can contact you if they wish. The address is supposed to be your location for yhe 1st 14 days of your trip or for the duration of your trip if for a shorter period of time. For those of you who would be cruising for the period of time that you are actually in Canada what address are you using??I tried using various in all the fields but it wouldn’t let me proceed…
Last year we used Van Ise customs dock address for entry and destination.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom