Anchor Pulpit Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't figured out the details yet but the plan is to glass in a PVC chase on either side of the pulpit and I will run copper tubing through these with a removable nozzle on each side, it will take some trial and error to find a nozzle effective for a relatively low flow and easy to service for sediment/corrosion from raw water. The copper tubing will allow me to manually adjust for the right angle while trying to say out of harm's way. i am sure I will mangle a few before I get it dialed in but they should be easy to replace.

When I installed a nozzle to spray on the chain, I mounted it to the underside of the pulpit board, a couple of inches back of the chain, so right under the roller. I used a piece of 1/2" copper water pipe, with the nozzle formed by flattening the pipe in a vice. It took only a couple of tries to get the correct amount of flattening, so that the pressure of my salt water pump created a fan of salt water against the chain that is adequate to dislodge mud from the rising chain. That nozzle is attached to a pex water pipe that is T-d off the saltwater line as it comes up through the deck and connects to the bow washdown hose.

Getting close, here it is set in place, I am waiting for my last two carriage bolts to arrive and then I can finish bolting it down. The PVC rode chase is in place, I need need to seal the top with some caulk and at the deck joint but every is pre-drilled and already test fit for the windlass. The access port at the rear allows me great access to hardware. I have not installed the washdown lines yet but I have a chase for one on each side and a hole through the deck so I can add it soon.

Attachments

• PXL_20220521_114652794_compress14.jpg
    PXL_20220521_114652794_compress14.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220521_114525397_compress85.jpg
    PXL_20220521_114525397_compress85.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220521_114533856_compress46.jpg
    PXL_20220521_114533856_compress46.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 17
Looks fantastic! Well done.

“I'm planning to mount a section of starboard or cutting board material to the top of the platform to prevent the shank from tearing it up, something sacrificial.”

I doubt the starboard would ever wear out but it needs fastners-no sealant will stick to it for long.

Looks great. The sacrificial Starboard is very practical.

The starboard isn't in place yet but will be easy to install, i will drill and tap the fiberglass at the corners of the piece. The thing is solid glass, no core so adding stuff to it is straightforward. I was in a rush to get it mounted as it replaces the single bollard that was on the bow, without it I had nothing to put bow lines on and I am scheduled to launch this week. It has been a busy day, I painted the bottom, gelcoated a repair to the gunnel (inherited docking damage) and mounted the windlass and anchor.

I still need to finish wiring up the windlass but I tested it with a jumper box and the anchor came up smoothly.

Attachments

• IMG_20220521_152322_01_compress79.jpg
    IMG_20220521_152322_01_compress79.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20220521_191430914.MP_compress93.jpg
    PXL_20220521_191430914.MP_compress93.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 9
Very nice job! Your selection and installation appear very similar to mine.

I love my Lewmar 1000 on a self launching roller. It's been extremely reliable with frequent single-handed anchorings while sturgeon fishing.

Attachments

• Pulpit.jpg
    Pulpit.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 10
I finally put the pulpit and windlass in use for the first time this past weekend. I still need to run the control wiring to both helm stations but I installed a wireless control box sold for bumper winches and it worked great, $19 kit that comes with two remotes, highly recommend. The anchor tried to come up backwards twice but after dunking it back into the water it came up correctly. Satisfying result and on to the next projects of installing an autohelm and cleaning up my 12 volt wiring circuits.

I finally put the pulpit and windlass in use for the first time this past weekend. I still need to run the control wiring to both helm stations but I installed a wireless control box sold for bumper winches and it worked great, $19 kit that comes with two remotes, highly recommend. The anchor tried to come up backwards twice but after dunking it back into the water it came up correctly. Satisfying result and on to the next projects of installing an autohelm and cleaning up my 12 volt wiring circuits.

I've been using a similar cheap winch remote for a couple of years now with great success.

Great to hear. Do you have a link to the remote you used?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom