Air Horns 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Went to the boat yesterday and it had decided that it was time for me to take a class on Air Horns. This was indicated by it throwing my FIAMM "TA/N?" onto the forward deck. Very rude. I believe, not sure, that it is original to the boat. I didn't have time to look behind the console above the lower helm to see what is what but it seems to be air not electric. It is operated by a push-button at the FB helm as well as the lower. Is about 17" in length, trumpet style.

Searching for FIAMM horns and find two models that look like mine. A TA/NR (higher tone) and a TA/NS (lower tone). Mine shows "TA/N with the last letter appearing to be "A" but can't find any references to a TA/NA".

These don't look very sophisticated, just a horn with a small compressor wired to 12v. Doesn't seem to be any driving reason to replace with the same make/model horn. What are the good quality brands/models for replacements these days?

First,

I have two Kahlenberg horns and they sound great.

Attachments

• Air Horn k-380_brochure.pdf
    984.3 KB · Views: 104
First,
I have two Kahlenberg horns and they sound great.

:iagree:

I installed Kahlenberg horn 6 years ago and have been extremely happy with mine.

Ted

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81D3QJ+o4qL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Bought these through Amazon last year. Better than the old single air horn. Look great and very loud.

Thanks for the replyies, everyone. The horns in this pic from Amazon, what brand are they?

Looked at the Kahlenberg collection. Obvious quality but I don't see one small enough (compressor/tank) to fit in my overhead console where the old equipment is. Again, I haven't looked at it to get the specifics but it is a small area. Will do so tomorrow.

Thanks for the replyies, everyone. The horns in this pic from Amazon, what brand are they?

Looked at the Kahlenberg collection. Obvious quality but I don't see one small enough (compressor/tank) to fit in my overhead console where the old equipment is. Again, I haven't looked at it to get the specifics but it is a small area. Will do so tomorrow.

IMG_2972.jpg

This is from the Amazon.ca website. Price in CAD. Probably different on the US site.

I use a air horn from a scrapped ship. When I toot everyone listens.

I feel your pain
several years ago, when driving my first Motorhome, I encountered rudeness on the freeway that got me blasting the big airhorns on the roof. My first time, and the blast was forgettable. Soon after, I went to the Western Star truck store in Kelowna BC and bought a new pair of proper truck horns. Once installed on the Motorhome, I brought the old Motorhome air horns to the boat, thinking to replace the boat horns and get a bigger bang for my buck. The old Boat horns were air powered, from a small compressor attached directly to the horns by a little air pipe. Big mistake to think a swap would work. That little compressor provided just barely enough air to power one horn, but using that , I lost the two tone from the originals. Then I started looking into making this work. For thousands, I could get it to work, Buell, Kahlenberg, etc, all the great horns out there are pretty $$$pendy. But I already have the horns, why not just add a little compressor. Ha! Think you can get away with cobbling something together and have it work out ?
Might as well just put back the originals.

Sorry if I can't actually help. It just takes enough commitment to spend $$$$

I use a air horn from a scrapped ship. When I toot everyone listens.

The original single trumpet air horn on the AT has a small compressor that fits in the overhead but really didn't announce that I was there. I added 2 more trumpets and a Harbor Freight compressor and air tank.
Now when I sound the horn, everyone knows I am near by. Everyone looks for a BIG Hatteras LOL

Now to complete the project, I am searching for a stand alone high pitch 'toot toot' air horn that I can use around the marina. The type that one would expect on a cartoon type tug.
Suggestion are appreciated.

Something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2697.jpg
    IMG_2697.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 35
A steam whistle? Have you tried it, with success?
How many psi of air do you need and use?

I have Nathan P2 air chimes and a wimpy electric horn. The air horn gets everybody’s attention. The wife and dog hate the air horn so I’m careful when I use it. So I keep the horn selector switch set to wimpy most of the time.
jp

I chose to run mine off a 13 cuft. scuba tank and adjustable 1st stage regulator. It takes very little volume to drive my horn. A whistle takes a huge volume. The tubing is plastic automotive air line tubing (extremely inexpensive). The 1/4" OD tubing makes it pretty easy to relocate the supply (compressor or tank).

20220521_164353.jpg

I've refilled the tank twice in 5 years.

Ted

The nav rules have a list of frequency ranges based on the length of the boat. Does anyone actually care about that "rule"?

The regs are minimum.
The intent of the reg is to ensure a boater is 'seen'.

The nav rules have a list of frequency ranges based on the length of the boat. Does anyone actually care about that "rule"?
With respect to uninspected recreational vessels I don't know but I doubt it. However I have been called out during an inspection to ensure the whistle (horn) was within regulatory specs. It wasn't labeled, we had the freq measured, it was within specs.

The regs are minimum.
The intent of the reg is to ensure a boater is 'seen'.
It's not a minimum, it's a specified range based on vessel length. The Colregs make use of the words "may" and "shall". When a rule states "shall" that means you must comply. When a rule sates "may" you get to decide.

Looking at the colregs use the word shall is used in assigning the technical details.

Attachments

• Shall.jpg
    Shall.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 26
The frequency is a specified range. The volume of the horn is simply a minimum based on boat size.

The frequency is a specified range. The volume of the horn is simply a minimum based on boat size.
A careful reading of the rules shows that technical requirements for frequency, volume and range are all defined by vessel length.

A careful reading of the rules shows that technical requirements for frequency, volume and range are all defined by vessel length.

Correct. But the audible range and volume are only specified as a minimum.

And how many folks here on TF have gotten pulled over or cited for a horn not being the proper frequency or volume?

Not to be confused with NOT having a horn on board.

I wonder what the logic is to require different frequencies for different size vessels? Do lower frequencies carry further for a given decibel level?

Chose four times the minimum volume to get twice the range. Love the tone of dual horns.

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom