Entering Canada by boat - May 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
A bit on Canadian Customs as present, as I just went through it last night.
I was entering at Prince Rupert BC

You NEED the arrivecan application. This is their covid clearance form and as far as I know it is a firm requirement for entry.

The application is easy.... For each person you scan their passport to prove identity. Then you scan your proof of vaccine status.
For those that are unvaccinated I am not sure of the rules.

Then within 72 hours prior to docking in Canada you answer a few health related questions on the app and you get a code to give to customs.

Then...

When you are tied up in a designated telephone reporting approved harbor you call the Customs folks 800 number from your cell phone while still on the boat.

They asked me a few questions and gave me a entry number to record. I was on the phone way less than 5 minutes.

All in all an easy experience.

​​​​​​​Easy peasy

Last edited:
It's always good to hear when a process gets figured out well and is actually easy to use!

Good information for both directions, especially coming from someone who has just been there, done that.

Please keep us posted on you new adventure; daily will be fine. :thumb:

Nice that they let you use your cell phone to check in. A few years ago we had to go ashore and use a pay phone to check in so they knew where exactly we were. So that is much nicer now.

Reentering the US is very similar. I’m not sure if use of the ROAM app is mandatory, but it sure makes things easier. Fill out the info after, or as you enter the US, not in advance. Keep the roam app active and expect a video call from an officer. Have passengers available for a visual ID conformation. We have always been cleared without having to go to a customs office, but you may be required to. Last time we were cleared without even a video call. Note that we are Global Entry and Nexus members, so that likely eases entry.

+1 to all the above on ArriveCan and CBP Roam. Have done this twice in the past year. The most recent time, a Canadian customs officer also checked us in person at Sidney BC dock -- just came over while we were on hold for the phone agent.

As for vaccination: she checked our cards in addition to the proof we had given on ArriveCan.

One note on ArriveCan: it asks for a potential quarantine address. We have found that a marina or hotel address has been acceptable, no need to prove that you have a reservation or the like, just that they want to know a plan.

We just cleared into Van Isle an hour ago. Used the ArriveCan form. They did come down to the boat and went through it all, first time that has happened on many entries, including on this boat. It took about an hour but then we were cleared in.

We just cleared into Van Isle an hour ago. Used the ArriveCan form. They did come down to the boat and went through it all, first time that has happened on many entries, including on this boat. It took about an hour but then we were cleared in.

Same last week, but didn’t come to the boat.

Reentering the US is very similar. I’m not sure if use of the ROAM app is mandatory, but it sure makes things easier. Fill out the info after, or as you enter the US, not in advance. Keep the roam app active and expect a video call from an officer. Have passengers available for a visual ID conformation. We have always been cleared without having to go to a customs office, but you may be required to. Last time we were cleared without even a video call. Note that we are Global Entry and Nexus members, so that likely eases entry.
Last time I reentered US was shortly after converting to the CBP ROAM system. Using it was mandatory but if you didn't have it on your phone or tablet you could access it through a tablet at the check in location. Only issue was it was inside a marina office vs outside. Downside is you were limited to marina hours vs 24/7 when phone / doc camera outside. Certainly worth downloading and entering your info ahead of any planned reentry.

Also found DTOPS was worth the $400 when actively going in and out. Like ROAM as well. Try to get all crew prescreened with TSA pre screen/global entry. Makes airports easier.

Also found DTOPS was worth the $400 when actively going in and out. Like ROAM as well. Try to get all crew prescreened with TSA pre screen/global entry. Makes airports easier.

$400? Maybe a typo? The STOP sticker/decal is $27 or $29 for a year.

Just to pile on, checked in at Raymur Point in Vctoria a couple hours ago. Used phone on customs dock. Used ArriveCan in advance. There were a few simple questions, then cleared. Only problem was bad audio on the phone and a disconnect. I’ll use my cell next time.

We just crossed 2 days ago into Canada. Similar process, very quick, checked in at Van Isle Marina using the dedicated phone at the nicely refurbished dock. Had pre-filled out our ArriveCAN profile and they asked for that info, and sent us on our way.

We are also NEXUS / Global Entry members, so that can help too. Going back into the US is supposed to be even easier. Most people I know who have come back in the last 2 months have not had to touch a dock, and are asked to use video chat with their phone and the CBP Roam app to complete everything. I'm glad things are becoming more modern and streamlined here.

We just crossed 2 days ago into Canada. Similar process, very quick, checked in at Van Isle Marina using the dedicated phone at the nicely refurbished dock. Had pre-filled out our ArriveCAN profile and they asked for that info, and sent us on our way.

We are also NEXUS / Global Entry members, so that can help too. Going back into the US is supposed to be even easier. Most people I know who have come back in the last 2 months have not had to touch a dock, and are asked to use video chat with their phone and the CBP Roam app to complete everything. I'm glad things are becoming more modern and streamlined here.

I checked in a few weeks earlier than you at Van Isle, and didn’t have to touch the dock. Been anchored near Bedwell too but it wasn’t open then. Very east process as others say. Longest wait was like 5 minutes for them to answer the phone!

Also, entering the US requires a negative COVID test 24 hours prior to entering. A self-test qualifies but should be verified by a video call with a healthcare professional.

Also, entering the US requires a negative COVID test 24 hours prior to entering. A self-test qualifies but should be verified by a video call with a healthcare professional.

If you are a US citizen, this is only true if flying into the US. Entering by boat or land does not require testing, and never has.

If you are not a US citizen, then you also need to be tested before flying in, and I believe you also need to show proof of vaccination.

If you are a US citizen, this is only true if flying into the US. Entering by boat or land does not require testing, and never has.

If you are not a US citizen, then you also need to be tested before flying in, and I believe you also need to show proof of vaccination.

You are correct. I didn't realize that it was only air. Doesn't make sense to me why air travel should be different, but apparently it does to someone.

Ok, guys maybe move on. Just saying it isn’t political doesn’t make it not political. This hasn’t crossed the line yet so let’s not kill the thread.

So before this thread gets shut down the question I have is can you get into Canada if you did not get the shot. Looking to compete in the r2ak next year and looking for pertinent info, or interpretation.

We crossed at Van Isle about 10 days ago, 15 minutes on hold, less than 5 minutes actually talking to someone, easy peasy. Coming back into the US at Dixon Entrance was even easier, reported in using the app at Cape Fox, it was all automated, no video chat necessary, the app gave me a clearance number.

Back
Top Bottom