Air Cond Fan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
My air handlers can be programmed to have the fans run constantly or to cycle on and off based on cooling demand. Which mode is “easiest” on the fan motors in terms of longevity? Thanks in advance for the input.

Lucky Lucky
Easiest ??? Dont know.
I run my A/C fans 24 hrs a day to stir up the compartment air. I also 5 12vt fans 24hrs a day to stir up the air too. Eliminates the hot or cold spot around the cabins too.

Last edited:
I suspect it is a wash.

To frequent start/stop cycles are not good for the motors electrically. Constant unneeded running is also not good for them from heating and bearing wear standpoints.

Keep the motors lubricated as needed, ensure there is a FREE flow of air by them, that the cooling ports in the motor case are clear of dust and debris, that the electrical supply, Voltage AND current, are within specs and so on and they should give good service either way.

Motors more frequently fail due to one or more of the above not being taken care of.

Unless of course the motor was inadequate to begin with.

Some of the answer may depend on where the thermostat sensors are. If the sensors are located in the AC units, having the fans not run continuously may increase the differential (room comfort level) as it may take a higher temperature to activate the thermostat.

Personally, I choose to run my units on variable speed fan running continuously. If I expect a cooler outside temperature overnight (not requiring air conditioning), I shut the unit(s) off. Not really interested in running the fans overnight if air conditioning isn't likely required. I also turn off units in areas that I'm not going to be in till the next day. It takes very little time to cool off a room first thing in the morning.

Ted

Given your size and location I assume you would want some air moving all the time to keep things ventilated.

I'm the old guy in the shop that breaks down removed units for recycling so my 2c worth is cleaned and lubricated fans are good for 10s of thousands of hours regardless of starts and stops. You will replace a capacitor somewhere in the that lifespan.

Realize the 12vt compartment fans are expendable so carry one or two as replacement.

I prefer to have the fans run all of the time. In the close confines of a boat, the constant on and off of the fans is an annoyance. Also leaving the fans on all of the time seems to make the temperature inside more stable.

I don't think it matters which you do for the life of the fan. When its gotta go, it goes.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom