Mariner Seville 37 Pilothouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations on the new boat!

I love the layout of the Seville 37/Helmsman 38 pilot house. If I could even get my better half to be full-time liveaboards, this is the boat that I would choose.

Jim

Hi JLD,
Mine is not a new boat. I bought it new in 2010. I can highly recommend this boat as it is now a Helmsman 38. The Mariner Company was bought out by Helmsman and they have done some super upgrades to it. My wife and I are extremely happy with the Mariner as the layout is great (especially) for a couple! Want company overnight (I don't) it can sleep 5. The second head is very rare on a boat this size. The interior is all teak & holly and excellent workmanship.
My wife will never live aboard either.
Take care!:)

Seville docking

Being that I have not had my boat in the water yet, I have a docking question for my fellow Seville/Mariner owners. My experience is with twin inboards. 99% of my docking experience, between poles/piling,s has been backing in. I have a friend with a single Mainship sedan (who also switched from twins) and he tells me 99% of the time, singles will bow in...is this true? Since this is a single and a wide-body, do most of you just bow in?

Matt

No this does not match my observation at all. most people backin. I back in about 99% of the time. This boat backs fine once you learn to use the prop thrust to kick the stern. Sometimes in GA or SC if the current is ripping i will put her bow in but that is very very rare.

Hi Trinityloop,
When I bought my Mariner it had a 480hp Cummins and bow thruster. I had a Formula 25 before that with twin 488 engines All I can tell you is get lessons. I spent about $600 for a QUALIFIED captain that also had a single engine trawler. When he showed up at my boat (great guy) he informed me that I was NOT to use the bow thruster at all during my lessons. He said what do you do if your bow thruster goes out? I was to spend (1st lesson) going around two channel markers backwards in a figure 8 direction using only my bursts of rear gear using my propeller "walk" which was to starboard and bursts of forward gear when needed. I had a hell of a time at the beginning!:banghead: About a hour in I started to feel how the propeller pull to starboard with short bursts forward really made a difference. Let's face it, anyone can drive a boat forward!:)

We did that for 2hrs. and over 4 lessons really felt very comfortable with the boat. I cannot over emphasize how much confidence that gave me as this was the largest boat I had ever driven. Yes, you will need to use the thruster especially in wind and currents. Hope you take my advice.

Last edited:
I agree with jwinner. I almost never use the thruster. I do always turn it on but very rarely use it. The captain training you had a very good program. I teach by taking students to a day marker and have them keep the bow towards the piling and move the boat clockwise and counterclockwise around the piling using the helm and short bursts of prop wash. Being able to back your boat well and easily is important. Very often it is easier to get off a face dock using a spring line and kicking the stern out then backing away. often it is easier to back down a fairway rather than turn the boat around.

Hi Tadhana,
Yes, when we fuel up we always use a spring line with a forward fender, turn the rudder full away from the dock and use bursts of forward to bring the stern in putting pressure on the fender. The opposite to get out putting pressure on the fender and back up until clear enough from the dock to go forward. A lot of wheel turning! Backing down a fairway was my second lesson and also backing through several pilings not lined up. I admit I was very nervous at first but was taught that the pilings and that rubber around your boat can help as long as you are going VERY slow. He also taught me that if I think I am going too slow...go slower! Of coarse wind and current must be factored in.

Thanks for all the great tips and advice. I have "some" experience with a single so I do understand the concept of prop walk and back & fill. I love your buoy practice drills and will definitely use them! Do you usually back in from the lower or upper helm...or does it not matter?

We drive from the lower helm nearly 100%. Particularly in docking and locking, it allows me to be close to the action.

...and your first mate stays at the stern?

Depends on wind weather and current. . When baking into the slip we set a spring line first so i can back against it and hold the boat in position against the dock. So Cristina hops onto the dock in those approaches and secures the spring. Otherwise she takes the stern. For locking she is usually positioned on the upper deck. We prefer to dock with no dock hand help. They often won't listen to our requests and do not understand how to deploy a spring line.

I guess I will be researching the proper use of a spring line on a single engine boat :)

Thanks for the help!

Springs are just as, or even more effective on a twin screw...

I drive from the upper helm so I can clearly see around the boat. I just like to see all around without some limitations from the lower helm. I also have a camera pointing to the swim platform to see how close it is to the dock.

Tadhana is right about people helping you from the dock. Most don't know a spring line from a fender!

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, but did you mean a rope from a bumper? :) Does anyone know how many of our RPH boats were sold in the U.S.?

Looking at a couple of Mariner Sevilles on Yachtworld and it appears the hull of the Helmsman 38 is slightly longer and the beam is slightly less. Are they in fact different hulls or are the dimensions listed on YW in error?

Mariner 37/ Helmsman 38

The hull length and beam are identical. Same molds. The latest have a slightly flatter pilothouse roof, and the top deck has been extended to provide a bit better protection for the cockpit. Also have improved rain gutters. There are some other minor improvements such as the inlay in the salon table, and a notch to reduce head bump when descending stairs frm pilothouse to salon. These are really fine boats, both in design and construction. The quality is exceptional, comparable to multi-million dollar mega-yachts. If these were built in USA, price would be well over 1.5 million dollars. Good luck.

The hulls are the same. The keel is changed. The rudder is now 2' further aft. Saw Scott in Seattle last Sunday. He gave me the full tour of the 31 and 43. Beautiful built and finished! The H 38e will be displayed at trawlerfest and the Annapolis boat show.

Tadhana, is your boat branded as a Mariner? Also, what model year was the keel and rudder extended aft by 2 feet?

Mariner Seville Pilothouse Hull #16 delivered 2009. The lying cheating scumbag importer had just acquired Camino and in some sort of business scam gave the boat a Comano HIN?... I have known Scott and Lisa for about 10 years. I do a bit of work with them from time to time, so we rebadged the boat as a Helmsman. I do not know exactly when they modified the keel/rudder

at which hull number did they move the rudder back 2'

I do not know exactly which hull number was the first with the new rudder/propeller configuration. It would probably have been in 2015 or so, but Scott can tell you for sure. In my career, I have designed and built boat professionally. I played around with the rudder design a bit, and finally settled on adding 2 inches to the leading edge of the rudder. It made all the difference in the world. adding to the leading edge is far more efficient and effective than adding to the trailing edge and it also reduces the steering loads on the entire system. PM me for pictures.

I do not know exactly which hull number was the first with the new rudder/propeller configuration. It would probably have been in 2015 or so, but Scott can tell you for sure. In my career, I have designed and built boat professionally. I played around with the rudder design a bit, and finally settled on adding 2 inches to the leading edge of the rudder. It made all the difference in the world. adding to the leading edge is far more efficient and effective than adding to the trailing edge and it also reduces the steering loads on the entire system. PM me for pictures.

I was hoping to get some of those photos your talking about.

Hi All

Swede Dreams have spent the summer on the Great Lakes. Are there any sister boats up in this area?

Rudder extension

Just completed the rudder extension 2" to the rudder leading edge and yes I noticed the steering performance improvement in rough water right away very happy to have completed that alteration money well spent.:thumb: The trip back to Semiahmoo/Blaine WA from Bellingham 5 hrs was 4'ers to an occasional 6'er heading into a port swell against the tide boat handled much better with the altered rudder.

Last edited:
Matt, we are finalizing purchase of 35' Mariner Seville Sedan. Like you we are tracing existing knowledge on this boat & like you there isn't much out there. Tracking the HIN down to Chinese yard that built it, trying to locate schematics, etc.! Wondering if you'd like to discuss what you have found out in the 4 years you've owned your boat. We are in VA Beach the boat is currently in Annapolis. Let us know if you'd like to converse & we can send a private message. Larry & Erin

hull number clarification

On the starboard side of the transom just below the rub rail you will find a 12 digit number. That is the hull ID. Characters 7&8 are the hull number. Our boat is not equipped with two rollers. Our primary anchor rode is on the port side of the locker divider, on the starboard side is the anchor rode and chain for the second anchor and lies on top of it.

so does that mean this is hull number 09?

Attachments

• Screenshot (2742).png
    Screenshot (2742).png
    136.4 KB · Views: 13
Jeff, thanks for the questions.
I imagine that you must have some hours/experience accumulated with your boat...maybe the most of any Helmsman/Mariner owner? We have lived aboard since new. As of today that is 7yr 10mo. of continual use.

How many hours do you have on the boat? Engine hours 2800.1

What are you favorite three things about it? 1)The layout. large open salon. The separate head and nice shower: we only use marina showers when we are on the hard. Very good access to machinery components for servicing. Excellent visibility and excellent ventilation in the pilot house. We drive from the pilothouse all the time. The bridge deck area is great for entertaining. Salon table converts to a double. This allows room for our very infrequent guests, without wasting space of a normally unoccupied and unused second stateroom .
2) This will probably jinx me, reliability of all the systems. AC/Heat used for 8 summers and winters. no problems (Fwd AAC was taken out by a lightning strike in yr 4 and replaced) . Two heads in daily use. Never been rebuilt.
3) Sea keeping. My dad was a New England lobster boat builder,I designed and built boats for him. Spent my entire career in the boat building industry and have run all sorts and sizes of boats for god knows how many thousands of hours. So I realize that all boats are a compromise. But when I saw this hull I thought it would be a good compromise, and it has proven to be so. 3 times we have been caught in heavy squalls with exceedingly short steep seas and have driven the bow through waves, taken solid water onto the windshield (the mouth of the Potomac will do that to you), but never lost confidence in the boat.

What three things would you improve on?
1) Move the water tanks forward. with full tanks the stern drops over 4 inches and the bow rises about 2 inches.
2) Helm Station layout. With the fwd cabin entrance offset to starboard, it makes the helm console area very small and a challenge to fit electronics .
3 rudder location and design. Scott has already made one improvement by moving the rudder and prop back about 2 feet. Some of the original boats were built as a 35' express style. If you bought the 37 the rudder and prop are in the same place as the 35. the boat "hunts" a bit. But that being said, she does maneuver very well.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
[/QUOTE]

I recently purchased a 2008. Says Mariner Seville 37 on the side, and think it's hull 9. Every day is more overwhelming and disappointing. the last 36 hours trying to problem solve why it is so slow and difficult to empty the holding tank. Three times tried to use a portable dockside rolling cart. Could not get it to draw down. Used a better floating dock pump out station and after 45 minutes of pumping got it down to a quarter of a tank. checked the main vent. Outside metal vent is clear. Put a small probe tube in from that hose line end that went all the way to the fitting at the top of the holding tank, and that seems clear, although could not get the tip of the line off the L shaped fitting at the top of the tank to see the tip of the probe. Could that be clogged at that elbow? Used air to trying to blow through too. but since tank is a closed system, at one point could not keep pumping air through that line. Thought maybe the gauge was off and tank empty. Nope. Removed one of the 2 top in lines that come from the toilet, and found tank was full enough to pour out of there, filling a 5 gallon bucket. (that was before we got it down on the last pump out ordeal where we finally got it down to 1/4 full.) would like to head to Canada where you can dump 3 miles off shore, but found the macerator doesn't work. 2 of the 4 screws holding the macerator on the in line on were so corroded they were broken off and one gone. so tonight bought a new macerator and will install tomorrow. but not feeling optimistic. Have never spent so much money and gotten a boat with so many issues that need fixing, and, as many of you are aware, there is a shortage of qualified workers. so what will be the next shoe to drop? The sailboat I sold was in perfect operating condition. sigh...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom