View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
Depends on how you define "trawler." Some wouldn't consider the Tolly 26 I mentioned to be a "trawler" as it's a semi-planing boat that can go pretty quick. Others would. It's kind of a meaningless term anymore because everybody applies it to just about everything other than a submarine. And everybody has their own definition. Bayiners didn't used to be considered "trawlers' but these days they are by a lot of people.

To me a trawler is a boat that uses trawl gear for fishing, so in my mind NONE of the boats owned by the people on this forum are "trawlers" including ours. I call them cruisers, or diesel cruisers, which is what American Marine called their Grand Banks line of boats.

But "trawler" started being used as a marketing term for a certain type of recreational boat and over the years that type description has expanded to include damn near everything. So sure, a "trawler" is what you're looking for, but understand that "trawler" today includes everything from Don Moon's 20-plus knot Sabre to Mark Pierce's steel displacement, sail-assisted Coot, to our pathetically-plodding Grand Banks.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote