Bought a dinghy - supply chain woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Buying a RIB & Supply Chain Issues

A couple months ago I asked the collective TF wisdom on 15-20 hp outboards. I ended up with a Tohatsu 20hp. I was impressed with their early adoption of EFI in a small OB. I decided to go with electric start and electric tilt despite cost/weight/complexity to make it more approachable to my wife.

Dinghy ---- short answer is I went with an AB 10AL (10'6" Aluminum hull with bow-locker, lightweight at 128 lbs).

Long answer: I looked at (Links for each are in the name/list)
  • [*]OCTenders is a rigid hull built in NZ by knowledgeable cruisers. By far my first choice were it not for expense (+$12k landed) and availability due to limited shipping. It has a fairly flat bottom so planes well but likely pounds more than a deep-vee RIB. But it's hell-for-stout and only 92-lbs.
    [*]Highfield Classic 310https://www.highfieldboats.com/classic-310/ (10'2" 132 lbs.) Aluminum hull. I discounted it early for two reasons: First, it's made in China. I have no quarrels with China, but companies that offshore production do so for a reason other than to make the best possible product. Second, their price was about the same as the Achilles which appears to be a better product. Best I can figure, Achilles/AB spend money on their product; Highfield spends their money giving RIBs to YouTube influencers. Highfields do have an option for a clever steering console that mounts out-of-the-way if you're into those types of things. Highfields carry a 2-year warranty
    [*] Achilles 310AL (142 lbs 10'2") Aluminum hull. Despite being the chubbiest of the fleet, was my first choice - my current Achilles dinghy is well over 25-years old so has lasted well (albeit in mild climate of SF). Achilles are made in Japan. They are a quality product and would be a no-brainer compared to the Highfield except......supply chain issues made availability highly questionable. Achilles carries a 5-year warranty.
    [*]AB 10 AL Lammina. (10'6" 128 lbs). I lucked out - Defender just had a shipment of ABs arrive a couple days ago and had one left, so I bought it. Was about 15% more than the Achilles, and made in Baranquilla Colombia (they recently moved from Venezuela). ABs are known for top quality workmanship and long life. AB carries a 10-year warranty.

Hope this helps someone else out there, though if you're looking, no guarantee you'll find anything decent in-stock.

Good luck -

Peter

Last edited:
Last edited:
Peter,
I also bought the AB 10 AL and a 20 hp Tohatsu. We used it for a full season last year and are very happy with it. I did not get electric start and tilt. If I was to do it again I would for the same reason you mentioned.

When do you get it? Did you buy the motor from Defender as well?

Rob

Peter,

I also bought the AB 10 AL and a 20 hp Tohatsu. We used it for a full season last year and are very happy with it. I did not get electric start and tilt. If I was to do it again I would for the same reason you mentioned.

When do you get it? Did you buy the motor from Defender as well?

Rob
Hey Rob. Yes, both from Defender. Shipping from CT to San Diego was expensive - over $1k. I could have saved a couple hundred on the motor from outboardmotors.com (motor was more expensive but shipping was less). The dinghy itself was hard to find in SoCal and the places I talked to offered zero discount, some charged shipping on top, plus several hundred bucks for setup and registration.

Should arrive in about 10 days. I'm picking up at a freight terminal in San Diego. Haven't quite figured out how to get it to Ensenada. Hopefully not too big of an adventure.

Peter

Great Peter, I hope your Tohatsu works as well as my 18HP carb version. FYI,
I went with a small Odyssey starting battery that has a nifty aluminum bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045G4VZK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_10ACKZYH5PAGK7KTQMXR

This is similar to what I have but my motor doesn't have electric tilt. YMMV.
I am a big fan of Odyssey batteries. High quality and very rugged. ;)

The link is for the hold down bracket only. Do you have the link for both, or did you buy the battery separately?

Thanks. This is really helpful.

How and where did you mount the bracket and battery?

Peter

There are mahogany gunwales on my 11' Boston Whaler tender.
I used a few stainless panheads to mount it back by the engine.

These engines are about 350cc so it made sense to use that size battery.

Posting this for future reference. Those doing a search on OC Tender may see it and find it useful.

I have not looked into it deeply but it seems to be a fair alternative to the OC. Made in FL. Designed from the ground up to be a tender. Not what I'm looking for. And pretty pricey. But an interesting alternative if it fits the needs and budget.

Posting this for future reference. Those doing a search on OC Tender may see it and find it useful.

I have not looked into it deeply but it seems to be a fair alternative to the OC. Made in FL. Designed from the ground up to be a tender. Not what I'm looking for. And pretty pricey. But an interesting alternative if it fits the needs and budget.

Thanks for this. Indeed a similar concept to the OC Tender. Though I have to say, I'd cough-up a lung if I tried to call a 10-foot/225 lb tender "UltraLite ." For comparison, the similar sized OC Tender is 92 lbs. The AB aluminum hull is 128 lbs. The Achilles is the fat kid at 142 lbs.

That said, good to see options in the market. Looks like a nice dink for those less sensitive about weight.

Peter

Thanks for this. Indeed a similar concept to the OC Tender. Though I have to say, I'd cough-up a lung if I tried to call a 10-foot/225 lb tender "UltraLite ." For comparison, the similar sized OC Tender is 92 lbs. The AB aluminum hull is 128 lbs. The Achilles is the fat kid at 142 lbs.

That said, good to see options in the market. Looks like a nice dink for those less sensitive about weight.

Peter

Agreed, it's not light. The aluminum skiff we have is 150 lbs for a 12 footer (and it's not the lightest or narrowest 12 footer out there). For a 10 footer, 100 lbs is pretty light, anything much more is not in my mind. And 200+ is "darn heavy".

Agreed, it's not light. The aluminum skiff we have is 150 lbs for a 12 footer (and it's not the lightest or narrowest 12 footer out there). For a 10 footer, 100 lbs is pretty light, anything much more is not in my mind. And 200+ is "darn heavy".
They must be comparing it to our 11' Whaler that tips in at over 400 lbs!

Yep. Not light.

Which I am coming to think is a two edged sword.

One of the characteristics important to me is stability as one steps on or off. My wife will appreciate that. Land lubber guests would. West Marine builds or has built a lightweight hard dink that appears to have a hull shape to give it stability, and is cheap enough. But its also somewhat unstable in reality, and I'm thinking its because it simply doesn't have enough mass. I have not done much research on the OT to know if that holds true with that light weight model. If not, there goes my theory.

I have had a weak back for many years and so opted for the lightest inflatable floor dinks. For 2 or 3 people the 8.5ft versions have been adequate and weigh in at about 68 lbs for PVC and about 75lbs for hypalon. I use a 3.5hp two stroke for propulsion. We rarely travel far in the dink so have no need to plane. The engine weighs 28lbs.

For the gently sloping sand beaches in Mexico we use a set of detachable transom wheels and can easily roll the dink ashore. For the Inside Passage, where there are normally no easy landing beaches, we do a two person carry. Since I have passed age 75, I remove the motor for the carry. Still not fun. With the very high tides in the Inside Passage I have not used the technique of anchoring off the (temporary) shore.

Richard

If I were in the market, I would look hard at one of the Takacat’s. Several videos available showing them underway.

If I were in the market, I would look hard at one of the Takacat’s. Several videos available showing them underway.

I've narrowed it down to these two. Three, actually, because I'm not 100% sure on which size of Whaly.

MODEL 270 | WHALY BOATS USA

http://https//www.whalyboatsusa.com/product-page/model-310

http://https//www.polycraft.com/300-tuffy

To be used with an ePropulsion, though the boats can take more and plane if desired.

There is a dealer in NJ that sells both brands. One Saturday soon I'm going to go take a look. Among the things I want to see in person is lifting points.

I want to make the decision soon, because the choices spec different shaft lengths on the motor. I expect lithium and circuit boards to be or become a supply chain issue so I want to get the motor on order. To order the motor I need to decide on the dink.

Both appear to be nice boats, though the first "Whalyboat" appears better suited to cruising in open roadstead destinations. Weight (roughly 239 lbs) would be an issue for me stowed on top deck. But for many, these are contenders.

I think use-case is divided for cruisers. Rpackard stated he cruises Mexico with gradual beaches, has a bad back, and doesn't venture far. Argues for a very lightweight dink. I like to explore so something that is fast and can handle open water is important. I think the intended use is crucial

Peter

I came close to buying the Whaly 435 till I saw a video of a guy taking his out for a test ride. He mounted a go pro on the bow facing aft. The water barely had a ripple. The guy doing the test wore a upper body wetsuit. That was the first red flag. He was soaked after the test, but kept saying how he loved the Whaly. Maybe it was windy, and the water didn't reflect this. Not sure if the smaller Whaly are the same. Have you talked to Whaly owners?

Both appear to be nice boats, though the first "Whalyboat" appears better suited to cruising in open roadstead destinations. Weight (roughly 239 lbs) would be an issue for me stowed on top deck. But for many, these are contenders.

I think use-case is divided for cruisers. Rpackard stated he cruises Mexico with gradual beaches, has a bad back, and doesn't venture far. Argues for a very lightweight dink. I like to explore so something that is fast and can handle open water is important. I think the intended use is crucial

Peter

I totally agree on intended use. No dogs to take to the beach. Mostly its to have to take from anchor to some dingy dock for dinner and groceries, or to some beach to swim and wander. Carrying my wife and me, and the occasional guest couples. Along the ICW and Chesapeake mostly. I hope to get to the Bahamas, and possibly up into New England at some point. It will get use, but it won't be a daily / constant thing.

I prefer to sit IN it, not on the sides, on the way to dinner.

Many keep something like a 15hp mounted on a rib. Combined weight of that package is similar to the weight of those hard dinks alone. I'll be keeping the lightweight ePropulsion in a lazarette. Nick Jackson davit crane.

I have about 12 feet across the beam, from rail to rail, to work with. The smaller I go the easier the task will be to launch and retrieve. The larger I go the more stable it will be and more easily carry any and all I might want to carry. The tradeoffs on that are pretty clear, and I just need to make the call on how much is enough or too much.

There is a lot to like about the Pudgy. I started with that in mind. It just is reportedly a bit too tippy on entry and exit, and a bit cramped.

And, by the way, I think I'm going to start out with soft chocks under it. Moveable. Not a commitment of anything by drilling holes in the deck. I can get this wrong and have to make a change. If I make a change I won't have a chock system optimized for the old dink but not the new one.

I came close to buying the Whaly 435 till I saw a video of a guy taking his out for a test ride. He mounted a go pro on the bow facing aft. The water barely had a ripple. The guy doing the test wore a upper body wetsuit. That was the first red flag. He was soaked after the test, but kept saying how he loved the Whaly. Maybe it was windy, and the water didn't reflect this. Not sure if the smaller Whaly are the same. Have you talked to Whaly owners?

Not spoken directly, but some online exchanges like this. Reading. Watching EVERY video of the models of interest I can find, with the eye to trying to spot key things.

Since my plan doesn't include a higher HP engine to plane, frankly I did skip over the ones and the parts about moving at speed on plane.

And frankly if the boat is wet while on plane, that's moot to me. Not the plan.

I do care, a lot, if the side hull shape and height makes it wet from modest amounts of wave action or wake while moving at lower speeds.

Anyone with information specific to that more narrow concern, I would certainly welcome info. Frankly, any feedback on these choices, like the feedback you gave, is very welcome.

Here is a review for a Takacat from one satisfied buyer. Slightly annoying podcast, but good info. Would like to hear any concerns about them, either through observation or experience. Light weight and stable.

And, by the way, I think I'm going to start out with soft chocks under it. Moveable. Not a commitment of anything by drilling holes in the deck. I can get this wrong and have to make a change.

We are using Soft Chocks with an AB Al 10 and 20 hp Tohatsu. Working great after one season. Also nothing to stub a toe on. When the dinghy is in the water.

Rob

Here is a review for a Takacat from one satisfied buyer. Slightly annoying podcast, but good info. Would like to hear any concerns about them, either through observation or experience. Light weight and stable.

No experience of course. But that just strikes me as "what you see is what you get." Reputation is well made.

Its back to use case.

If you are going to hang it off the stern (as you are), its light. Its very open as your clip says, so its going to take on water from any ripple off the stern, and appears more than most into waves / wake at the bow, but clear it instantly. So if wet feet is no big deal, and often it isn't, the package works. The suspended flooring makes a lot of sense.

Until the mother ship is pretty big and big enough to handle a big model with steering wheel, ample seating, battery for electric start, etc., then those of us with more modest limits need to make compromises. Which things to give up or be sure to retain is a pretty personal choice.

And, by the way, I think I'm going to start out with soft chocks under it. Moveable. Not a commitment of anything by drilling holes in the deck. I can get this wrong and have to make a change.

We are using Soft Chocks with an AB Al 10 and 20 hp Tohatsu. Working great after one season. Also nothing to stub a toe on. When the dinghy is in the water.

Rob

Rob, thanks for that. I've only seen a handful of comments on those, but all of them positive.

By the way, on both the Whaly and Polycraft lift points isn't obvious. I think I have both figured out but until I see them I can't be sure. That point can eliminate a model from contention.

No experience of course. But that just strikes me as "what you see is what you get." Reputation is well made.

Its back to use case.

If you are going to hang it off the stern (as you are), its light. Its very open as your clip says, so its going to take on water from any ripple off the stern, and appears more than most into waves / wake at the bow, but clear it instantly. So if wet feet is no big deal, and often it isn't, the package works. The suspended flooring makes a lot of sense.

Until the mother ship is pretty big and big enough to handle a big model with steering wheel, ample seating, battery for electric start, etc., then those of us with more modest limits need to make compromises. Which things to give up or be sure to retain is a pretty personal choice.

Thanks, FWT. I watched a video of a sudden stop. No water came through the stern, but they also don’t create much of a following wake. I can’t find it now, but pretty sure I saw one of the larger ones with a center console on it. May be the S version.

I was thinking more following sea conditions.

I guess its a question of whether you want your strategy to be to keep it out, or get it out. None are going to be bone dry no matter what.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom