Shaft seal question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DJK

Can someone explain the function of the water hose on this type of shaft seal? I understand the “packing” type of seal and its adjustment but don’t understand the reason for the water inlet in the shaft tunnel. The black hose connects to a dedicated through hull.

Attachments

• F00A4225-4D3B-4A2E-A442-717B8457711B.jpg
    F00A4225-4D3B-4A2E-A442-717B8457711B.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 42
Usually the hose is from the engine cooling water and provides lubrication to the packing material.

Would that mean that this type of packing material should not drip?

Not necessarily. It depends on the type of packing used. We used Duramax packing in our last boat that had traditional stuffing boxes. It didn’t drip after it was adjusted properly. But with other packing materials it would drip. That boat also had a hose from the engine cooling water to lubricate and cool the stuffing box.

Or there might be another cutlass bearing at the top end of the shaft log needing water.

It’s not unusual to have a water feed drip box. The shaft angle may prevent water from reaching the stuffing while underway or they were concerned with overheating cutlass

That kind of gland should drip a bit underway. Might not drip while stopped depending on waterline relative to the gland.

Can someone explain the function of the water hose on this type of shaft seal? I understand the “packing” type of seal and its adjustment but don’t understand the reason for the water inlet in the shaft tunnel. The black hose connects to a dedicated through hull.

In my setup a similar hose connects to a through-hull to expel shaft-lubricating seawater.

This water is picked up near the prop via a small scoop inlet on either side of the shaft so the forward motion pushes the water up the shaft.

Mine is a very old boat, but your hose may do the same.

Attachments

• DSC00821.jpg
    DSC00821.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC04583.jpg
    DSC04583.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC04442.jpg
    DSC04442.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 11
That kind of gland should drip a bit underway. Might not drip while stopped depending on waterline relative to the gland.

Not necessarily. It depends on what type of packing is in the shaft log. On our last boat we had Duramax packing. It can be adjusted so that it doesn’t drip either sitting or underway.

With a dry exhaust boat a scoop and hose is one way to get water to the stuffing box area. Not sure how you ensure flow or know if it stops.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom