Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless you plan to start a charter business, there is not much attraction for me. Even then, there are better options. Certainly not a personal trawler. But interesting just the same.

If the 1936 former Army boat didn’t do it for you, how about this one: a 1970 75 ft former polar rescue vessel, ice rated, built in Norway, converted to a luxurious expedition yacht;

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1970-smedvik-mek-75'-7840910/

I’m sitting on the pier in Belfast Maine as I write this, looking at this beautiful boat. The price seems surprisingly low for what it is.

Attachments

• 148B001B-3CAE-48DA-B169-90E9CA4C3027.jpg
    148B001B-3CAE-48DA-B169-90E9CA4C3027.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 52
I couldn’t resist taking a closer look. This is a beautiful, incredibly stout vessel. Check out the size of the anchor windlass! It looks to be in very good condition, other than needing bottom paint (the folks next door at the Front Street Shipyard could take care of that). It can be yours for the low low price of $875,000 (I wish I could afford the upkeep).

Attachments

• D81BCDC0-D45C-4DC8-AF60-C46325B90633.jpg
    D81BCDC0-D45C-4DC8-AF60-C46325B90633.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 52
  • A74CACCB-6FAC-40A1-A781-265615E5A094.jpg
    A74CACCB-6FAC-40A1-A781-265615E5A094.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 8A8329DB-B0B4-4BEE-B67F-78F36FB99DDB.jpg
    8A8329DB-B0B4-4BEE-B67F-78F36FB99DDB.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2DC90E6F-C62E-48B4-B3BA-7C84925B53F0.jpg
    2DC90E6F-C62E-48B4-B3BA-7C84925B53F0.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DC5B1197-D9BF-424C-8D3C-0D34EC8D8D58.jpg
    DC5B1197-D9BF-424C-8D3C-0D34EC8D8D58.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 1E4221AF-C94F-460B-92BD-BB44D4CA9AAE.jpg
    1E4221AF-C94F-460B-92BD-BB44D4CA9AAE.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 49
Any enlargement experts able to read the name of the ferry in the background? Possibly "Kameruka" ?

Sorry for the sailboat diversion, but couldn't resist. I've admired this boat for years, though I would not want to own it. We passed it in the harbor yesterday and noticed a for sale sign. My wife commented that it's probably a $1M yacht. Surprised to see that it could be bought for ~$60K, maybe less. I get that it's a 65 y.o. wood boat, but it looks like quite a bit was invested in refurb over the last decade or so. The interior looks pretty rough, but it is stunning to look at sitting in the harbor.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1957-concordia-yawl-6906815/

If the 1936 former Army boat didn’t do it for you, how about this one: a 1970 75 ft former polar rescue vessel, ice rated, built in Norway, converted to a luxurious expedition yacht;

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1970-smedvik-mek-75'-7840910/

I’m sitting on the pier in Belfast Maine as I write this, looking at this beautiful boat. The price seems surprisingly low for what it is.

I feel sorry in advance for the docks that I might strike with that beauty.

Any guess as to what this boat is? I saw it today sitting at the Front Street Shipyard in Belfast Maine.

On one hand it looks like it is/was/should have been a sailboat or a motorsailer - twin keels, small prop. On the other hand, I couldn't see any sign of a mast.

Not sure about the pilothouse, if it's factory or added afterwards. The prop is also unusual - it's either a folding prop or a variable pitch (I couldn't tell, other than it seems small for this size boat).

The manufacturer's identification on the hull ID number is 'SWB' - the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle WA. But the boat is definitely fiberglass, molded and not glassed wood.

It certainly looks stoutly built and very seaworthy. Any guesses?

Attachments

• IMG_4320.jpg
    IMG_4320.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 67
Any guess as to what this boat is? I saw it today sitting at the Front Street Shipyard in Belfast Maine.

?

Reminds me somewhat of this one I spied a few weeks back

Attachments

• IMG_20220328_141853_082_1.jpg
    IMG_20220328_141853_082_1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 46
Reminds me somewhat of this one I spied a few weeks back

Yes, I am sure the builders spouse has been heard to say....................."and he designed and built it all by himself" BUT having said that I am sure it suits their needs and is comfortable for them although sale time might bring out a few home truths.:blush:

On one hand it looks like it is/was/should have been a sailboat or a motorsailer - twin keels, small prop. On the other hand, I couldn't see any sign of a mast.

Not sure about the pilothouse, if it's factory or added afterwards. The prop is also unusual - it's either a folding prop or a variable pitch (I couldn't tell, other than it seems small for this size boat).

The manufacturer's identification on the hull ID number is 'SWB' - the Center for Wooden Boats in Seattle WA. But the boat is definitely fiberglass, molded and not glassed wood.

It certainly looks stoutly built and very seaworthy. Any guesses?

Looks like a sail boat that someone cut the keel to reduce draft and added a pilot house over its previous wide open sailboat pilot recess. My question is: What's the boat doing at 45 degree angel off that boat's starboard bow?? :facepalm:

Greetings,
Mr. A. Good guess. I suspect that 45 degree angle boat is one of them thar' flyin' boats OR the net boat tethered to the "shrimp"/herring trawler behind the subject vessel. Note the line attached by a bridle on the bow of the 45 that runs to the rigging of the tralwer.

Net boat may not be the proper term but don't some commercial trawlers use a boat to stretch out their seines?

Greetings,
Mr. A. Good guess. I suspect that 45 degree angle boat is one of them thar' flyin' boats OR the net boat tethered to the "shrimp"/herring trawler behind the subject vessel. Note the line attached by a bridle on the bow of the 45 that runs to the rigging of the tralwer.

Net boat may not be the proper term but don't some commercial trawlers use a boat to stretch out their seines?

Well... when young some of us often used a boat to stretch out our love life... and, that taint no fish story seine!

My question is: What's the boat doing at 45 degree angel off that boat's starboard bow?? :facepalm:

RTF is absolutely right! The boat at a 45 deg angle is indeed the net boat on the stern of a large seiner.

Attachments

• IMG_4318.jpg
    IMG_4318.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 35
This recently appeared on yachtworld (I have no affiliation with the boat) -

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1972-seaton-pilot-house-trawler-8322763/

Classic salty design. It 'looks' like how a trawler is supposed to look.

Just a few tiny little red flags in the listing that might cause an eyebrow to rise before rushing off to send a sight-unseen over-asking offer -

- The boat is 50 years old

- "In need of a full refit"

- "On the hard... in Puerto Vallarta Mexico"

- "New owner will need to invest much time and money"

Attachments

• Seaton.jpg
    Seaton.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32

Just a few tiny little red flags in the listing that might cause an eyebrow to rise before rushing off to send a sight-unseen over-asking offer -

With only 1 picture and those red falgs, I wouldn't even want to look.

Those have a rep as a great boat, if the washing machine on the ground in the pic is an indicator... yikes
HOLLYWOOD

Seatons are fantastic boats. I look at one many years ago. Way too many red flags.
Hull blistered and a population of German cockroaches and they are either or near impossible to destroy, even with tenting and fumigation, finally, my survivor was no help at all. He would make up excuses in the owner's favor.
There was so much collected 'trash' and used/worn out/useless parts to take off the boat.

I looked at another Seaton .... it was bought and later heard the house had to be removed and rebuilt. I was told the house was made of wood.

Last edited:
That Seaton is such a salty rig even in red,with those 453’s she musta been something sweet back in the day,that boat sure has some potential

Long, sleek looking baby! Photo appears she's 40'+. Says 36' in the listing.
Appreciate your interest in these, Art.Unreliable memory says Halvorsen made 25,26,30 and 38ft for the hire fleet. Not sure about a 40 but it`s possible. They built 36s, but usually with flybridge, there`s one on my marina, recovered after it took a swim. They built all kinds of boats to order, a prolific builder, not just for their hire fleet.

A pretty 26 just came on the market. The preservation of original features never ceases to amaze me. Originally most had single gas engines, often Chryslers, prone to flooding at start up for the unwary. Many of the boats are ex hire fleet, well maintained for hire/charter, which sold off went to good homes.

Appreciate your interest in these, Art.Unreliable memory says Halvorsen made 25,26,30 and 38ft for the hire fleet. Not sure about a 40 but it`s possible. They built 36s, but usually with flybridge, there`s one on my marina, recovered after it took a swim. They built all kinds of boats to order, a prolific builder, not just for their hire fleet.

A pretty 26 just came on the market. The preservation of original features never ceases to amaze me. Originally most had single gas engines, often Chryslers, prone to flooding at start up for the unwary. Many of the boats are ex hire fleet, well maintained for hire/charter, which sold off went to good homes.

I love good ol' woodies... to enjoy reminiscing about!

Spend many years when young aboard of and/or working on wooden boats. Really appreciate owning a very well built fiberglass boat for greatly reduced work efforts... as compared to a woodie!

I had the opportunity to be aboard Osprey in the early 2000's. She was quite a beauty to behold, but even at that time was in need of an extensive refit. I was surprised to find twin screws as most other Seaton 48's of this era seem to have gone single. If I recall, I was told she was built in the Durbeck yard.

The owner at the time said on long passages he would run a single engine at a time, alternating port/starboard every other day. I also recall that he chopped a few feet off the paravanes in order to fit under certain bridges in Europe.

Makes me a bit sad to see her write-up, but I have to say I appreciate the honesty!

I couldn’t resist taking a closer look. This is a beautiful, incredibly stout vessel. Check out the size of the anchor windlass! It looks to be in very good condition, other than needing bottom paint (the folks next door at the Front Street Shipyard could take care of that). It can be yours for the low low price of $875,000 (I wish I could afford the upkeep).
This really is next level... The components look like they came off of something much larger than 75ft! I like the dual cranes.

Back
Top Bottom