Old 05-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #17
Flatswing
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternshore View Post
Pearl, our "new" 2008 Beneteau Flyer 12 came with a Plastimo 8 person inflatable life raft, naturally it is beyond expiration date and requires a repacking service. As it is usually just the two of us Admiral wants to scale down to a 4 person raft while I'd like the extra room and extra "stuff"of a larger raft. Most of our prior cruising was around the Chesapeake, 2-3 day trips never really cruising. Now that I'm retired we're looking at longer trips from our base in FL, Bahamas, Keys, etc. Do most cruisers use or have life rafts, is it a necessary piece of equipment? A trip to the Bahamas would be with a group, Keys would be solo. I like the idea of having one on board JIC. Would appreciate thoughts & comments from our cruisers.
So <50NM Miami/FLA-Bimini, <100NM West End-Ft Pierce. Personally, I don’t have one, or feel the need, perhaps if I was going down past T&C’s. Better investment is a good weather service, & cell-based access in the Bahamas, plus a back up tow system for your dinghy.
Beware group trips: like buddy boats, they can be great from a social perspective, but in reality, offer no help other than radio contact in an emergency, few buddy boats have the knowledge base or equipment to tow or render any type of physical assistance if TSHTF. Buddy boating may also lead you to make passages that are outside your comfort zone-which can be a good or bad thing depending… YMMV.
Bahamian cruising is wonderful, avoid the marinas, get comfortable on the hook, embrace the local Bahamians in the small communities. Magical.