Inside Passage Butedale update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
For those transiting the inside passage this year I can report on Butedale as a stop over point.

There are no signs of life at Butedale, but there is a long dock of a few hundred feet long that appears to be serviceable.

Based on what I have seen today I would consider Butedale a safe place to spend the night.

Attachments

• 97CEB56B-3B05-4273-895C-A2EF5FD3883C.jpg
    97CEB56B-3B05-4273-895C-A2EF5FD3883C.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for posting that. There used to be an old guy there, a caretaker. Any No Trespassing signs on the dock or grounds?

Thanks for posting that. There used to be an old guy there, a caretaker. Any No Trespassing signs on the dock or grounds?

I did not see any, but I only really looked at the dock.

It's listed as for sale again... The advertisement shows a new dock instead of the log float with rotten plywood nailed to it. You always question whether the advertisement is real or a "projected development". One of the problems with the Internet is that things tend to stay there once posted, it's sometimes hard to get a feel for what's real.

I chatted with the old caretaker my last trip through, he was moving back to Klemtu as the new owners didn't feel they needed a caretaker. I wonder if the cat stayed... he was very social but would never step foot on your boat, maybe he remembered that's how he came to be out there.

Some years ago, maybe 10 or more, I was tied up at the dock at Shearwater next to a guy who was talking about his investment group buying Butedale. According to him, they had the money to develop it, could get the required government permits, and the local First Nations group in Klemtu was ok with it. It obviously never germinated, and there have probably been several similar groups and stories that never got going. What a great stopover location though.

Kevin, thanks for the update.
It looks exactly like it did when I was there June 23, 2019. At that time there was active demolition near that building, and the dock looked brand new. Except for the buiilding in your picture, the only others are around to the right, where your shot shows the first dwelling, then the trees cut out any view of a second one.
In '19, there were a couple of sailboats on the dock, no signs to indicate Welcome or Not Welcome. We didn't anchor (wouldn't anyway, as you never can tell what the bottom is like after a century of logging in the area) and stayed the night elsewhere, just cruised close enough for a peek.

I emailed Shawn Kennedy per post #6 above and received permission from him to tie up at Butedale. Shawn's response was cordial and he appreciated being contacted.

many, many years ago there was more sign of life there. we stopped in and took on water there. water in butedale was very good at the time. there was a man and a young boy living there full time, and a fishing fleet would use it during the season.
obviously time hasn't been kind to the place, but maybe some day there will be some full time life there again.

Thanks for that posting. Any update on Shearwater these days after the ownership change?

Thanks for that posting. Any update on Shearwater these days after the ownership change?

shearwater was bustling last night. Lots of cruisers there.

The restaurant closes at 6:30 though

Last spring we spent the night there while bringing our OA 42 up from Anacortes. It is a safe and appropriate place to spend the night. At the time, the trans-Canada rules were to not get off the boat for any reason other than an emergency. Tied to the dock in Butedale we violated the command. In a sense it was an emergency. After 6 days on the boat, the 4 of us really needed some land time. Last year there were no trespassing signs and signs warning that the property was secured using satellite based video technology. Not sure there is such a thing, but we pretty much, sort of, obeyed the signs

Memories

My first wife and I stayed at Butedale in the early 70’s when they had the flume and generator operating. We took unlimited hot water showers. Kathleen really really liked HOT water showers. We were cruising south on the Easy Rider .. a 28’ OB I designed and built in Masset in the Queen Charolette Islands.

Butedale has (in my time) been a downhill story. There was probably a hotel there at one time. Will eventually become a resort but how long it will last depends on how well the then-owners address the remoteness factor. As a fuel stop it would shine tho. We put extra gas tanks aboard to make it from Rupert to either Butedale or Shearwater. Think it was Butedale.

I queried the email referenced and received a prompt and kind reply. I hope they are able to make it into a small fuel and stopover marina. Not sure a destination resort is realistic, but it is a very convenient and beautiful stop transiting the PR Channel.

At the time, the trans-Canada rules were to not get off the boat for any reason other than an emergency. Tied to the dock in Butedale we violated the command. In a sense it was an emergency. After 6 days on the boat, the 4 of us really needed some land time.
You have no idea how hard it is for me to keep quiet on that one.

A fuel stop would be a nice idea. Though, just a few miles North is Hartley Bay. We have found memories of Hartley and the people that live there. Was just wondering about one of the nicest guys by the name of George the other day. He taught me how the locals catch Salmon and some of the history of his people. Great memories!

Kevin, hope you will take a few days off while traveling south. It really is a great way to recharge the batteries.

Cheers

Here is a current update on a few of the places in the area.
Port McNeill- Business as usual.
Shearwater- Business as usual except masks are required in all the buildings.
The fuel dock has short hours, 10-4:30.
The store was well stocked.
Bella Bella- There was no place to tie the tender because of all the local
boats so had to raft to one of them. Might be best to take the
water taxi from Shearwater. There was a sign saying visitors not
welcome but a local said to disregard it, so we did. The store
was busy and they seemed happy to see us. Masks required.
Ocean Falls- Business as usual. So is the rain.
Klemtu- Waiting for a response to my email inquiring if they are open to
visitors.

Double vaccinated visitors are welcomed in Kitasoo (Klemtu). Masks are required indoors.

Welcome to Port McNeill and the BC South Coast, Kevin.
Enjoy the rapids, our hospitality, and may your crossover to the PNW be uneventful.

Currents at the dock at Butedale can be quite challenging when docking, so be aware of that. Water is good when available. There was a caretaker at the dock in past years. We tied up there several times.

We tied up at Hartley Bay one year. There was no wharfinger, so…
I think we got water there, but the fuel dock is small and if I remember correctly quite congested.

From what I remember, the store in Klemtu was marginal. Best to stock up at Bella Bella. The store there is far better than Klemtu. The Big House at Klemtu is definitely worth seeing.

Klemtu would be good for water, but we never got it there. Shearwater’s water was “Shite”. Ocean Falls is our destination of choice for water, dock time, shore time and crabs. Moorage far more reasonable than Shearwater. We stay for several days and do lots of laundry. Best water on the coast, in my opinion.

Jim

Last edited:
I should have qualified my answer about Kitasoo.

The opening is soft, meaning, they aren't publicizing it, (I guess I just did) and are day by day.

Don't expect much.

We have friends that are on a charter and tied up at Butedale within the last few days. Other than the picture I’ve got no other information.

Attachments

• 1466796D-2226-4C9A-84B5-7A013810A383.jpg
    1466796D-2226-4C9A-84B5-7A013810A383.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 40
(Shawn Kennedy of Butedale asked me to post this information and links as information for TF members).

GREAT BEAR RAINFOREST

Connected Coast Undersea Fibre Optic Cable Surfaces at Butedale
Connected Coast - Communications Infrastructure is a real plus for Butedale & BC.

INSIDE PASSAGE MARINE UPDATE
A talented group of independent professionals are assisting project development at Butedale

Development Access Docks are in place. Quotes for restoration of the Hydro-Electric system are part of the package.

Base maps for use by Civil Contractors and Architectsthe are being upgraded to incorporate all surveys (Land, Lidar & Orthophotos).

Proposals to accelerate development at Butedale are under review ( Equity, Joint Venture, Long Term Tenants and Purchase offers ).

- Current "series of Butedale posts" Linkedin page
linkedin.com/in/shawn-kennedy-17147532

- Renewable Energy Source Video (1min.17sec)
https://youtu.be/pIULL8ApOL0

- Faith Wilson Featured Property
www.faithwilson.com

Best Regards

Shawn

Shawn Kennedy
Mobile: 604 649-1665
INSIDE PASSAGE MARINE
www.butedalebay.com

Connected Coast Information : www.connectedcoast.ca

Helpful and useful information. Thanks.

Does anyone have information or recent experience regarding Hakai Pass?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom