Retired and cruising alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think one thing is being overlooked as one argues about the posts made. Kevin's other thread started with a dream and general plan but ended up with a better, more defined plan. His plan improved as a result of the thread and the feedback he received. Was all the feedback helpful? Of course not. But he left the thread in better position than he started it. The thread was beneficial to him in spite of any negatives.

That often happens. We post a topic and get something started, then some replies are helpful and some are off in other directions. However, ultimately we benefit from the conversation and we sort through the responses for those that assist us in our process.

B&B I agree for 99.9% of the threads.
I am as guilty as the next interrupting the tale of the journey, but this thread is over and a new one has begun.

I think one thing is being overlooked as one argues about the posts made. Kevin's other thread started with a dream and general plan but ended up with a better, more defined plan. His plan improved as a result of the thread and the feedback he received. Was all the feedback helpful? Of course not. But he left the thread in better position than he started it. The thread was beneficial to him in spite of any negatives.

That often happens. We post a topic and get something started, then some replies are helpful and some are off in other directions. However, ultimately we benefit from the conversation and we sort through the responses for those that assist us in our process.

That is entirely correct. Brainstorming produces tangible results.

If anyone is looking for a convenient way to provide location info, track of travels with ability to add photos and text / comments take a look at BlueBoatLog.com

I used it for a 2019 summer cruise and it worked very well for what I was looking for.
See our 2019 outbound cruise as an example
https://blueboatlog.com/collection/5d3257941697ea5c54cc5bd5

What I liked was I could provide one web link to friends/ relatives and they could check at their convenience and as interested to see daily updates.
I had to start & stop the track each day and then add the days info to a collection and release it when ready for public view, otherwise I could view & edit before release.

My guess is the off topic (not entirely as the OP kicked off the continuing debate) stuff will die off quickly and most will sit back and enjoy Kevin's trip.

But typical, any little button pushed in normal cruising life might start a flury of off cruise topic posts.

If anyone is looking for a convenient way to provide location info, track of travels with ability to add photos and text / comments take a look at BlueBoatLog.com

I used it for a 2019 summer cruise and it worked very well for what I was looking for.
See our 2019 outbound cruise as an example
https://blueboatlog.com/collection/5d3257941697ea5c54cc5bd5

What I liked was I could provide one web link to friends/ relatives and they could check at their convenience and as interested to see daily updates.
I had to start & stop the track each day and then add the days info to a collection and release it when ready for public view, otherwise I could view & edit before release.
:thumb: Gives a whole new meaning to a summer cruise. 41 days to get there. There went the summer by the time you got back.

:thumb: Gives a whole new meaning to a summer cruise. 41 days to get there. There went the summer by the time you got back.

Wifey B: Some of us have longer summers than others. Our summer cruise this year is March to October, then we'll cruise in the warm South Florida winter. :D

Some of the replies that you received in that other thread questioning your judgement and other aspects were ridiculous. Rest when you are dead, and keep charging while you can. Safe travels.

Some of the replies that you received in that other thread questioning your judgement and other aspects were ridiculous. Rest when you are dead, and keep charging while you can. Safe travels.

Yeah, that was telling, there are some truly little people on this site.... "Selfish, arrogant, stubborn "., all said to the OP. A laundry list of abstract what-if's, that might as well say stay home and wear a helmet indoors, what kind of contribution is that? All the best Kevin, this is inspiring and also something I personally look forward to doing, it's helpful to learn from the folks that plan and do like you.

Had one year wife was still working but I was retired. All cruising was by myself. Had done a few single handed races but was totally surprised how difficult solo cruising was.
Little things like checking on something or going to the head meant leaving the helm which produces stress. Had a remote for the AP and could mirror the MFD on a pad but still stressful. Doing a repair, even the simplest one, meant going inshore (if possible) and anchoring or lying ahull. Even shopping for necessities required more forethought. Of course docking was more stressful as where I was cruising rarely had dockhands. Found my self anchoring and waiting for a decent time to do so.
Overall didn’t find time underway that difficult. Rather it was time in proximity to land that was more difficult. I’m a bit of a loner. I’m usually fine being by myself. However after being alone for a full year other than breaks when she flew in I truly missed my bride. Yes, had the cruising community which I think went out of their way to involve me. But just about everyone is couples so that just made me miss her more. Fortunately made a few good friends not just acquaintances which made all the differences. Buddy boated some with them but also saw them when our paths crossed.
I wish you all the best. Especially having some idea how hard it is to do what you’re doing. Sleep whenever you can and take good care of yourself. Even little injuries ( a burn or stubbed toe or cut) can be really annoying and limiting when you’re alone. Still, when she had a bone in her teeth and we were rolling along it was magical.

This morning I left Shearwater BC and am heading for Port Mcneill BC

Attachments

• B71D1B61-5B4A-41D9-A09B-AF91D1482496.jpg
    B71D1B61-5B4A-41D9-A09B-AF91D1482496.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 1F7C00DC-45E2-43A6-9B7D-D846A383F74B.jpg
    1F7C00DC-45E2-43A6-9B7D-D846A383F74B.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 26
Wow moving fast. No stopping to smell the roses. Way to go Kevin. How was Shearwater?

That was the whole idea!
Best summer in a long time, checked off a bucket list cruise we had talked about for 20 yrs. Also met several great TFers along the way.
It worked out especially well as new operators were redoing our whole marina over the winter and didn't fully reopen until July.

Wow moving fast. No stopping to smell the roses. Way to go Kevin. How was Shearwater?

Shearwater was nice! Plenty of places to park, but the restaurant closes at 6:30
Plenty of cruisers to chit chat with.

Yes, I'm keeping in motion. I have a haulout scheduled for Wednesday in Anacortes along with a survey, if I can make it.

Been following all of this…your right follow your dream…solo is not for the I’ll prepared…life is not a dress rehearsal. You go shaka brah. Where you going to be hauled out in Anacortes and for what work. Your my hero.

Yeah, I aspire to be you. I'm still figuring out how to do this with 2 people.

A bit of an update.

I have made great time, and will be in the Nanaimo area tonight.
Then off to Anacortes on Tuesday.

Wednesdasy Haul Out and survey day at North Harbor Diesel.

They are going to replace a failed sea cock and a couple other small fiberglass jobs.

The boat will be there for three weeks or so while I drive my truck to La Paz.

When they are done I'll fly back and continue the adventure. The next phases are pure relaxation. I always knew the trip from Alaska to Seattle would be a just get it done trip. For me the interesting part is Seattle South.

If you need a place to sleep for a day or two, I am 10 miles off of I-5 in Longview. Or just a beer or two.

Ronobrien:

I was not familiar with that speech. I looked it up. Outstanding. Thanks for referencing that. Its long, and not sure what line you reference.
It was a very long speech. 2 hours from what I understand. I was referring to the excerpt that is commonly known as "The man in the arena." I don't know how to attach files here. The excerpt starts "It is not the critic that counts" and ends with "Those that know neither victory nor defeat". I have it printed and hanging on my office wall. Some days we all need inspiration to carry on in the face of criticism.

We passed Dos Peces in Johnstone Strait yesterday, tried to call you on the radio but you did not respond. I guess you were sleeping. ��

That was supposed to be a laughing emoji, meant as good natured teasing only.

We passed Dos Peces in Johnstone Strait yesterday, tried to call you on the radio but you did not respond. I guess you were sleeping. ��

Hmmm

I am so sorry, b ut a guy's gotta have his nap time. :angel:

In all seriousness I have no clue. Perhaps I left the radio on a different channel. :)

An update... I am moored at Cap Sante this evening.

This completes this phase of my journey to Mexico. Thanks to Everyone who took the time to share this voyage!

:):):)

An update... I am moored at Cap Sante this evening.

This completes this phase of my journey to Mexico. Thanks to Everyone who took the time to share this voyage!

:):):)

Kevin,

I am just around the corner if you need anything.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom