2022 cruising, So Where are You Going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our Plans

We hope to make a loop from the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario to the Thousand Islands, continuing down the mighty St. Lawrence River to Montreal then Lake Champlain, then the Champlain Canal back to the Hudson River and finishing at Erie Canal Lock 1 in Waterford.

Our timing is flexible. For those that are planning any segment of that trip and want to boat buddy any part of it, please reach out.

Lastly, to those who are traveling the Champlain Canal and want to socialize in Schuylerville, please reach out to us. If we are around, we can meet you. There is free docking at Lock 5 for a boat (or few) and a small marina in town. We can shuttle you for provisions as well.

Darren and Lisa

We hope to make a loop from the Erie Canal to Lake Ontario to the Thousand Islands, continuing down the mighty St. Lawrence River to Montreal then Lake Champlain, then the Champlain Canal back to the Hudson River and finishing at Erie Canal Lock 1 in Waterford.

Our timing is flexible. For those that are planning any segment of that trip and want to boat buddy any part of it, please reach out.

Lastly, to those who are traveling the Champlain Canal and want to socialize in Schuylerville, please reach out to us. If we are around, we can meet you. There is free docking at Lock 5 for a boat (or few) and a small marina in town. We can shuttle you for provisions as well.

Darren and Lisa

Depending on where and when your Oswego -> Thousand Islands part of the trip shakes out, we'll be in the area. We'll be up in the Thousand Islands for 2-ish weeks at some point if all goes according to plan and Oswego will likely be a stop for us one direction or the other. Our exact timing is still to be determined. If you decide head anywhere further west on Lake Ontario, feel free to reach out. We're based in Rochester.

2022 has arrived. If you're cruising this year, you probably have your plans already made. It could be a trip to Fort Pierce to the TF rendezvous, a couple of weeks on the St Johns river or the Great Loop. Always fun to hear about where people want to cruise and why.

I'm headed North April 1st. Heading up the Hudson to the Erie canal in May. Then up the Oswego canal across Lake Ontario to Kingston and up the Rideau canal to Ottawa. Back down the Rideau to Lake Ontario west to Trenton and then the Trent Severn canal to Georgian Bay and The North Channel. From there, summer in Lake Superior. Heading home through Lake Huron, St. Clair river, Lake St. Clair, Detroit river, Lake Erie, and the Erie canal to the Hudson River. Then back South crossing the Florida line by mid November. That's the plan anyway.

So where are you going?

Ted

And so it begins....

20220403_072502.jpg

Ted

Have a great journey Ted. If you stop in Baltimore give me a shout.

John

Have a great journey Ted. If you stop in Baltimore give me a shout.

John

Thanks John. Will be heading up the Bay, but turning for the C & D canal.

Ted

Leaving early to mid June, Lake Erie to the canal, south on the Hudson, then north to Penobscot bay, South to Florida, Bahamas winter 2023, then home again.

Cruised in my 30’s (sail) west coast /Mexico hope I love it as much now as I did then.

If I do… will do the loop on 2023-2024.

Hope to meet some of you along the way.

Leaving early to mid June, Lake Erie to the canal, south on the Hudson, then north to Penobscot bay, South to Florida, Bahamas winter 2023, then home again.

Cruised in my 30’s (sail) west coast /Mexico hope I love it as much now as I did then.

That sounds like a grand adventure. Hope it all goes as planned.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Trawler Forum mobile app

Alan, once you get close to the Hudson and eastern Erie canal contact us, we would be happy to meet up for intros and provide any logistical support you may need.

Well, there are still covid issues in South East Asia
Reading of boats at end of a rally to adventure land being told they can't backpeddle and must continue out of country
Next port in new country is closed, can't come in
Now looking at a major hop to another country

Last thing we want is to leave for Indonesia and then get forced back to Oz after several months so.......tick tick tick

Well, there are still covid issues in South East Asia
Reading of boats at end of a rally to adventure land being told they can't backpeddle and must continue out of country
Next port in new country is closed, can't come in
Now looking at a major hop to another country

Last thing we want is to leave for Indonesia and then get forced back to Oz after several months so.......tick tick tick

That is not sounding good. I hope you find a safe port. Best of luck.

I was just revisiting this thread, safe travels to all!!

We are still at Half Moon Bay Marina on the Hudson about 35 miles up. Our revised schedule; leaving on May 27th to head to the Champlain Canal and hope to be on Lake Champlain by May 30th. Will be at Chipman Point Marina for the season.

I appreciate all the tips, recommendations and positive comments and messages regarding our trip and the canal knowing that we are new to this. Finally going to have decent weather to get out of our slip this weekend. Every weekend we've been to the boat the wind has been blowing non stop, not conducive to the new guy getting in and out of his slip.

Slow Hand is currently in Brick, NJ while I'm taking a group diving in the Florida Keys. Should be getting underway next Wednesday, heading up the Hudson to the Erie canal. This will be my summer of locking. 6 done, a dizzying number to go.

Ted

Charlie, good luck, hope you get going as planned. This has been the worst spring in a while for early boating in New England, hoping for a big change soon.

Slow Hand is currently in Brick, NJ while I'm taking a group diving in the Florida Keys. Should be getting underway next Wednesday, heading up the Hudson to the Erie canal. This will be my summer of locking. 6 done, a dizzying number to go.

Ted

We're a year behind you this time on the loop.

Charlie, good luck, hope you get going as planned. This has been the worst spring in a while for early boating in New England, hoping for a big change soon.

The weather in our part of the Great Lakes has been equally bad. We've finally had a whole week of nice weather, just in time for rain this weekend... Oh well, at least it keeps the fuel budget happy.

The weather in our part of the Great Lakes has been equally bad. We've finally had a whole week of nice weather, just in time for rain this weekend... Oh well, at least it keeps the fuel budget happy.

Yes, same here. I was in Canada all week and it was operfectly clear and sunny and close to 80. Now home and it's gray and damp and 55. Go figure.

Well it's amazing when you make plans, :hide:I'm sure the Lord had a good chuckle. Since I first posted on this thread I did retire :dance:. But being a good ER provider I decided to do a Cardiac stress test for shits and giggles (family history), well now 6 weeks post Quadruple cardiac bypass :banghead:
My surgeon felt was life saving as I had a "widowmaker " lesion. I'm improving and got clearance to go to the boat. :thumb: . So I'm late on my May 1 prediction, and have to have a boat buddy because I'm still restricted to amount I can lift, BUT I'm still here, and :dance: flying to Oriental on Saturday and hopeful to splash next week and head for MAINE. Very grateful and hoping to meet some of you....Wildbill:Thanx:

Well it's amazing when you make plans, :hide:I'm sure the Lord had a good chuckle. Since I first posted on this thread I did retire :dance:. But being a good ER provider I decided to do a Cardiac stress test for shits and giggles (family history), well now 6 weeks post Quadruple cardiac bypass :banghead:
My surgeon felt was life saving as I had a "widowmaker " lesion. I'm improving and got clearance to go to the boat. :thumb: . So I'm late on my May 1 prediction, and have to have a boat buddy because I'm still restricted to amount I can lift, BUT I'm still here, and :dance: flying to Oriental on Saturday and hopeful to splash next week and head for MAINE. Very grateful and hoping to meet some of you....Wildbill:Thanx:

Wifey B: Great story for all of us. :)

We think we're in perfect health, impervious to all potential conditions. We talk about routine and preventive measures on our boats, send out oil samples for testing, but one act of preventive maintenance on your body, one check, may have added years to your life and happiness to you and your family. :dance:

For both hubby and myself, being told we're aging, and because I'm over 40 (oh my god I hate those words :mad:) and he's over 50 (he likes admitting his age even less than I do :eek:) we need certain things done, we need certain testing and annual physicals, complete ones. :ermm:

Just yours is a great reminder. We also push our family and friends to make sure they do the same. Thanks for sharing and reminding us all. :D

Ted

Just glanced at Marinetraffic and happened to notice Slow Hand sitting on my favorite bit of wall in Oswego. At least the weather is finally improving and you shouldn't have much trouble getting a window to cross the lake. We'll be heading slightly in your direction (only as far as a Pultneyville) tomorrow morning, so we'll give a big wave.

Just glanced at Marinetraffic and happened to notice Slow Hand sitting on my favorite bit of wall in Oswego. At least the weather is finally improving and you shouldn't have much trouble getting a window to cross the lake. We'll be heading slightly in your direction (only as far as a Pultneyville) tomorrow morning, so we'll give a big wave.

Thanks, I appreciate you improving the weather for me! Should be crossing to Kingston tomorrow.

Ted

Thanks, I appreciate you improving the weather for me! Should be crossing to Kingston tomorrow.

Ted
Hi Ted Not sure when you are planning to go up the Rideau attached is the disruption schedule at the 4th crossing being built in Kingston, it is just off the old Rideau marina property 1/2 way between the Causeway and Kingston Mills. The causeway is also under construction although Marine Traffic is passing worth calling them prior to arrival. Kingston Marina has Fuel but the pump out is blocked by a 100ft fireboat getting ready to ship to the emirates. and the canal is on spring hours 10-4 Monday to Friday and 9:00am to 5:00pm on Saturday & Sunday

Attachments

• Navigation Channel Hourly 2022-05-30.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 18
Hi Ted Not sure when you are planning to go up the Rideau attached is the disruption schedule at the 4th crossing being built in Kingston, it is just off the old Rideau marina property 1/2 way between the Causeway and Kingston Mills. The causeway is also under construction although Marine Traffic is passing worth calling them prior to arrival. Kingston Marina has Fuel but the pump out is blocked by a 100ft fireboat getting ready to ship to the emirates. and the canal is on spring hours 10-4 Monday to Friday and 9:00am to 5:00pm on Saturday & Sunday

Thanks for the information and the table. Will be spending the night at the Kingston Marina tomorrow. Sandy said I should be able to get pumped out tomorrow or Monday. Was aware of the 3rd crossing construction, but the chart is very helpful.

As they say in Chance, Maryland, "It's going to be what it belongs to be".

Ted

Thanks for the information and the table. Will be spending the night at the Kingston Marina tomorrow. Sandy said I should be able to get pumped out tomorrow or Monday. Was aware of the 3rd crossing construction, but the chart is very helpful.

As they say in Chance, Maryland, "It's going to be what it belongs to be".

Ted
Have a Safe trip across the lake, glad Sandy is going to accommodate pump outs, you cant miss us we are the 1st boat on the south side of C Dock. Probably bump into you when you are here, and if you need anything let me know Cheers

Have a Safe trip across the lake, glad Sandy is going to accommodate pump outs, you cant miss us we are the 1st boat on the south side of C Dock. Probably bump into you when you are here, and if you need anything let me know Cheers

Thanks!

Winning lottery ticket or a box of hundred dollar bills (small box is fine).

Ted

Well I'm at the Kingston Marina. No joy on the pumpout, but no worries. A trip to Food Basics has me replenished and ready to head out in the morning.

Entering Canada was entertaining, but basically a nothing burger. The people answering the phone (atleast mine) could use a spoonful of "goodwill toward man" , but that's behind me (probably a thankless job).

The trip across was arduous. Winds gusted to 8 knots at times with a following sea that was almost measurable.

Screenshot_20220529-181938_MarineTraffic.jpg

Ted

Thankless jobs are what you make of them. No reason to not treat people well. Just Sayin’

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom