Check your propane system.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lwarden

Guru
Vessel Name
North Star
Vessel Make
Lindell 36
This happened one dock over from my boat in San Diego at Harbor Island today. Apparently a propane related explosion on a Hunter sailboat. Owner was nearby along with his dog and both escaped with only some singeing apparently. He got lucky, it must have been a big blast to lift the deck like that.
I wasn't there, pics were sent by a friend.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Holy cow! Harbor Island West? What dock? So glad to hear there weren't serious injuries.

Would be great to get a post-mortem on that once the full picture has emerged.

Oh boy, here come the propane paranoics.

not paranoid, but looking to reduce potential serious problems.
I have lpg at the moment, but looking to change to a Wallas Diesel stove, and microwave.
I reckon if the owner had been onboard, he wouldn't be very well right now!

I would have expected it to be burned to a crisp but, no obvious signs of fire. I suppose it could have blown itself out after the initial ignition?

Other than that we know nothing about how the system was installed, used or maintained. I shut off the tank solenoid unless I’m actually cooking. The leak sensors are always on. I check those routinely.

I'm betting that wasn't a "whole boat full of propane" situation. It looks like the explosion may have only involved one part of the cabin (based on the deck damage). And based on the lack of charring and fire damage, it must have been one quick bang and done (where nothing got hot enough to continue burning).

I'd definitely be curious to find out what the failure mode was (and how it went un-noticed until an explosion occurred).

Hello,
I just saw the accident of your sailboat, I'm sorry for you.

I am interested in buying your mast if it is still usable.

I sent you a private message

Thank you Nick

Ah, I understand that's not your sailboat, sorry lwarden.

Can you help me get in touch with the captain of the sailboat?

Thank you

It does highlight the need for preventative maintenance on a propane system.

Nicolas, I don't think I want to asks the victim if his boat is ready to be part out, seems a bit too soon for that. I will let you know if I hear this is the direction he will be headed, but I expect there is a lot of insurance work to do before they get to that point.

I'll be down this weekend and will update this thread if I hear more about the cause or any other info.

This was down at Cabrillo Isle marina.

I have these as of yesterday as an extra level of safety

You can also pump the gauge up and down several times, turn off bottle and watch gauge for a few minutes to pressure test the lines

Grillman Caravan BBQ Gas Safety Shut off Valve

The Gas Safety Gauge is a handy, low cost, all in one gas safety device that will show your gas cylinder level at a glance, detect gas leaks and, automatically shut off the gas in the event of a major leak.

Quick and easy to fit on all POL cylinders, the Gas Safety Gauge also features a night glow dial face for better viewing in low light. Its solid construction from brass and aluminium means that the Safety Gauge is built to last for many years.

The Gas Safety Gauge is perfect for your gas BBQ, gas patio heater, caravan and many other POL fitting products.

100% Emergency Gas Shut Off - in the event of a major leak or regulator failure
Visual Gas Gauge - consumption gauge indicates minor gas leaks, low gas, good level of gas and over pressure
Glow in the dark gauge face
Fits LPG cylinders with POL connection
5 year warranty
GMSV_01.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Pretty much most things on a boat can ruin your day.

If you dont pay attention and learn, sure things can go wrong.

But millions of new boaters each year start with no experience and or POS boats and manage to survive.

Amazing how caring a little can go a long way to being safe.

It looked the deck tried to lift off.:eek: Pictures of the starboard side and port side. John Miller, photo credits.

Attachments

• 687646D8-85EF-4B7E-BCA6-7CE4B7E852AF.jpg
    687646D8-85EF-4B7E-BCA6-7CE4B7E852AF.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 47
  • D8BC6B73-EB5F-49D6-A2F1-1D2B2CA3EB99.jpeg
    D8BC6B73-EB5F-49D6-A2F1-1D2B2CA3EB99.jpeg
    162.5 KB · Views: 49
It certainly could have been so much worse for the surrounding oats.

Oh boy, here come the propane paranoics.

Wifey B: Yep, here. Present and accounted for. Hand up in air. :)

We have all the gas paranoics here and I'm not, but we don't have propane on our boats. Too many bad stories from marinas and houseboats. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

We have gas on board and very much like the set up. Though I do agree you really do need to keep an eye on it.

We have just taken down our head liners and removed all the existing copper lines, as they had weld joints in them.We replaced them with rubber lines. Out went the manual off/on gas cock also located in the headliner. This was replaced by a 12 volt solenoid unit located in the gas locker with an activating rocker switch located above the stove in the galley.

Not a cheap job but as Wifey B said, with gas there are too many potential areas where things can go wrong with pretty dire results.

Yep, gas on a boat is dangerous! I can point to lots of factual stories of propane explosions . . . then again I can point to a LOT MORE boats that have had fires, or been total loses due to electrical problems . . . . but I'm not saying that electrical systems should be avoided on boats . . . .

In my mind, a more true statement would be "Poorly designed, or maintained propane systems, as well as electrical systems are a hazard on boats in general."

The takeaway here for me is to inspect, or have your boat inspected to insure that systems are properly designed, built/installed, and maintained. Correct deficiencies as necessary, and don't be a captive to your fears.:thumb::dance:

But that is the problem, too many do not check the system and/or do not have proper systems in the first place. Just look at the “ creative “ ways people have talked about here.

But that is the problem, too many do not check the system and/or do not have proper systems in the first place. Just look at the “ creative “ ways people have talked about here.
Or they think their system is a "proper" system and cruise merrily along blissfully ignorant.

Except that anecdotal stories of other boats blowing up doesn’t effect the safety of propane use on my boat (unless I’m next to one of those other “creative” boats) and shouldn’t factor into my decision.

The solution to the problem would be for the CG to conduct mandatory inspections of propane systems on boats. And, not wait until they are underway but, get all the slip queens and derelict liveaboards too. Require them all to retrofit to ABYC standards or immediately and permanently disable the dangerous system.

The alternative solution to the problem is to outright ban propane. Of course we’d have to first ban electricity on all boats because we’ve all seen the pie charts showing fires from electricity causing more destruction than any other source. ABYC could help get the ball rolling by, rather than accommodating lithium batteries, just outright ban them.

Oil lamps too, while we’re at it.

“The price of freedom is accepting that some of the other people exercising that same freedom are idiots.” -Anon.

Back
Top Bottom